Dune BBS intro: how is it done ?

Marcus May

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

I found that little BBStro last week in cdrom.com and wondered,
how it was done. Well, I saw that effect before in Lasse Reinboeng
by Cubic Team/$een and Stars by NoooN, but this tiny COMpacked
intro seem to have almost the same code.
The general idea that came to my mind was a simple fire/blur
effect, i.e. addinng the surrounding pixels together and
dividing/shifting them; but instead of going linear from top
to bottom of screen, you precalc an offset-table, assigning
every position on screen the position of the surrounding pixel
closest to the center of the screen, so that you set the
current pixel in the averaged color of your offset-calculated
pixel.

Well, that was my idea 'bout this effect, but please give your
comments to this. I'm really interested in this.
The appended uuencoded com-file is the BBStro, just to show you
what I'm talking about.

begin 644 dune.com
<uuencoded_portion_removed>
0M5I96UC#K9+1VG+ Z[?K]G,

end

Jeremy Biddle

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Marcus May giggled uncontrollably...
: The general idea that came to my mind was a simple fire/blur

: effect, i.e. addinng the surrounding pixels together and
: dividing/shifting them; but instead of going linear from top
: to bottom of screen, you precalc an offset-table, assigning
: every position on screen the position of the surrounding pixel
: closest to the center of the screen, so that you set the
: current pixel in the averaged color of your offset-calculated
: pixel.

Well, you can do it even easier than that -- just scale a smaller portion
of the screen (about 10 pixels smaller on each edge) up so that it fits the
screen, then apply a blur. It'll give you the effect you're looking for.

Mr. Cronk / Mental Consulting

Lee Chun Kwok 李峻國

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

I wish I can learn that effect, but I don't quite fully understand this.

Could you be more specific, or give an example? (I know the fire effect)

Thanks.

--
"-- | / | "-- "-- Lee Chun Kwok Hong Kong
\__ | \ \__ \__ \__ mailto:h950...@hkueee.hku.hk
/////////////////////////////// http://www.eee.hku.hk/~h9504367