Who Killed America's Demo Scene?

Ant

May 19, 2019, 5:35:30 PM5/19/19
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j5wgp7/who-killed-the-american-demoscene-synchrony-demoparty from https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/05/18/0436201/who-killed-americas-demo-scene :(
--
RIP, Grumpy Cat. SW:TPM is 20! I'll win in the game of thrones 2nite!
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
/ /\ /\ \ http://antfarm.ma.cx. Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Computer Nerd Kev

May 19, 2019, 7:47:19 PM5/19/19
Interesting, though it soulds less like someone killed it than it
simply never gained enough momentum to begin with.

As long as the deathly silence here has been broken, I might as
well share a couple of links to european demoscene documentaries
that I found recently:

Finnish documentary from 2010, with English subtitles available:
http://www.youtube.com/user/demoscenedoc

German documentary "The demoscene - Digital Infinities" from 2016:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_NqsrnH70

No official English subtitles for the second one, but there are some
in German which I managed to force through Google Translate after
converting them to .SRT format and splitting into 30KB chunks. It was
watchable with those, but there are some gaps in the subtitling and I
suspect that's from the original German subtitles, though it might
have been a mistake during my conversions. YouTube also has some
"closed caption" thing and I don't know what that is about -
youtube-dl wouldn't handle it so I didn't bother looking into it.

Documentaries found at:
http://www.kameli.net/demoresearch2/
Which has been updated with the VICE article! Nice to see that
there's still someone home.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Richard

May 20, 2019, 4:14:45 PM5/20/19

n...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) spake the secret code
<qbspu2$1jfp$1...@gioia.aioe.org> thusly:

>Interesting, though it soulds less like someone killed it than it
>simply never gained enough momentum to begin with.

Agreed.

I never lost interest in doing another Pilgrimage, but the right venue
combination and dependable partners combination hasn't yet surfaced.
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

Thierry64