Change TELNET timeout settings

Jan Neels

Jan 15, 2002, 10:51:44 AM1/15/02
Hello,

We have a number of clients connecting across the internet, with
unstable response times - using client Access Express.

I'm wondering if there is a way to change the default timeout setting
that Client Access Express or the AS/400 waits for a reply when a
connection is unreachable.

Basically, when a timeout occurs during a transaction from terminal
session to AS/400 of 40 seconds, sessions are dropped.
The terminal screen on Client Access freezes, and CA considers the
connection as down, but for the AS/400 system the connection is still
valid.
On the AS/400 system the interactive job continues to run, and we need
to end it manually.
The client is unable to connect to the AS/400 as long as the job has
not been manually ended : we use named devices, and that device stays
in use as long as the job is active.
What's more, when using the 'auto-reconnect' option in client Access,
the session attempts to reconnect every few seconds, and the AS/400
QTVDEVICE job appears to take so many resources that the whole AS/400
system performance is degraded very noticeably.

We hope to remedy this in part by allowing more time before the client
Access terminal session considers the connection as 'down'. Is there a
way to change connection settings to achieve this ?

any help much appreciated

regards,

Jan

Jim Thedorf

Jan 15, 2002, 11:33:08 AM1/15/02
Use the AS400 command CHGTELNA.

Jim

"Jan Neels" <jan....@oz501.be> wrote in message

Jan Neels

Jan 16, 2002, 4:00:00 AM1/16/02
thanks, but this is the way to set it AS/400 side. I've tried this,
and the timeout has been set there for longer intervals - even to
infinite.

Do you ( or anyone else ) know of a way to set this at the client side
( Client Access Express - V 5.0 ) ?
I am under the impression that it is the client side that considers
the connection as lost, and attempts to initialize a NEW session with
the AS/400.

I want to influence the period of time the client waits for an answer
from the AS/400 before deciding that the link is down, and attempt to
set up a new session instead of reconnecting the same session.

regards,

Jan

Andreas Huyer

Jan 16, 2002, 5:59:52 AM1/16/02
Hi Jan,

try to set up the TCP/IP-MTU size to 576. You can e.g. perform with a
free tool named "MTUsize" available at www.zdnet.com (Generates a new
registry key). Timeouts are often caused by wrong MTU-Values (the
Windows-default is something about 4096) so routers have to split your
packets, that takes time.

Andreas

Martin Nørgaard

Jan 21, 2002, 3:47:19 PM1/21/02
I had excactly the same problem, but couldn't find it on the client or
server side. Some netguru told me that certain routers underways can cause a
telnet timeout, thereby making the AS/400 think the line to drop. Whether
this is correct I don't know, but it sure is a thaught.

Martin Nørgaard

"Andreas Huyer" <huye...@mus.de> skrev i en meddelelse