Where is stamped the AS/400 Serial Number

CENTRINO

Aug 9, 2018, 10:14:18 AM8/9/18
Where is "logically stamped" the serial number of an old AS/400 9406
mod 170?

I mean: the motherboard, the front panel, processor, disc configuration
? ...

I am asking this question, because we have one of them up and running
and as IBM does not support its hardware any more via maintenance
contract, we are to buy a second hand one as spare parts. Just in case
we have to replace something that do not imply serial number change.

We cannot get a new machine, since we have a very expensive software
that will not work with a different serial number nor model.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Bailey

Aug 10, 2018, 8:26:13 AM8/10/18
We had a new motherboard in a 520 a few years back. IBM spent a while trying to start ASMI with old chrome/mozilla then gave up saying that all the codes were in the Service processor card which has the ASMI/HMC ethernet sockets and seems to be connected to the front panel somehow. I cant tell from a quick google if a 170 has that plugin card. I dont have any better suggestions than you if not.

Jonathan

krishna...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2020, 9:29:40 PM6/16/20
Hello Jonathan.

Came across this post. We have a 170 that we have to change the board for now for the very same reason. Keen to know how this went.

Thanks

krishna...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2020, 9:31:31 PM6/16/20
How did you end of resolving the issue.