Sharp Printer Driver for the i5/AS400

Danny

Oct 15, 2008, 8:58:49 AM10/15/08
I have a Sharp MX-7000N that does not seem to play well with our i5.
I have tried using the various HP drivers in the CRTPRTDEV and none of
them seem to work well. By work well I mean it works some of the
time, but if the printer jams or runs low on toner the copier will not
work on the i5 until the tech from Sharp comes out and clears the code
from the printer. In the mean time we can still print from any
Windows device, like Word, or Outlook. I am fed up with the Sharp
technicians, because it is apparent they know nothing of the IBM i5.
I have used the HP8000 driver with some success. We are on V5R4 if
this helps. Thanks.

CENTRINO

Oct 15, 2008, 9:17:39 AM10/15/08
May be this IBM document may help:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas154255e0ec5a3c13f862569c10075ddb4

It seems that your printer can amulate HP PCL5c/PCL6 hppcl5.pdt HPLJ4.PDT
*HPCOLORLJ

So yo use crtprtdev with those emulations in mid.

Hope it helps

"Danny" <djkin...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje

Danny

Oct 15, 2008, 10:27:18 AM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 9:17 am, "CENTRINO" <n...@nonelandia.com> wrote:
> May be this IBM document may help:
>
> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas154255e0ec5a3c13f862...

> It seems that your printer can amulate HP PCL5c/PCL6 hppcl5.pdt HPLJ4.PDT
> *HPCOLORLJ
>
> So yo use crtprtdev with those emulations in mid.
>
> Hope it helps
>
> "Danny" <djkindl...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensajenews:7c8e9b99-2dce-40cd...@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

> >I have a Sharp MX-7000N that does not seem to play well with our i5.
> > I have tried using the various HP drivers in the CRTPRTDEV and none of
> > them seem to work well.  By work well I mean it works some of the
> > time, but if the printer jams or runs low on toner the copier will not
> > work on the i5 until the tech from Sharp comes out and clears the code
> > from the printer.  In the mean time we can still print from any
> > Windows device, like Word, or Outlook.  I am fed up with the Sharp
> > technicians, because it is apparent they know nothing of the IBM i5.
> > I have used the HP8000 driver with some success.  We are on V5R4 if
> > this helps.  Thanks.

I have actually used this page before when I originally set the
printers up, but just for fun I have tried changing the setup again
just to see if anything shakes lose, but all the printer does once I
start it is withing a minute or so it ends itself. Here is how I have
it setup and I admit I am a novice at setting these printers up:

Device description . . . . . . . > CS4
Name
Port number . . . . . . . . . . 9100 0-65535,
*SAME
Online at IPL . . . . . . . . . *YES *SAME, *YES,
*NO

Font:
Identifier . . . . . . . . . . 011 *SAME, 3, 5,
11, 12, 13, 18...
Point size . . . . . . . . . . *NONE 000.1-999.9,
*SAME, *NONE
Form feed . . . . . . . . . . . *AUTOCUT *SAME, *TYPE,
*CONT...
Separator drawer . . . . . . . . *FILE 1-255, *SAME,
*FILE
Separator program . . . . . . . *NONE Name, *SAME,
*NONE
Library . . . . . . . . . . . Name,
*LIBL, *CURLIB
Printer error message . . . . . *INFO *SAME, *INQ,
*INFO
Message queue . . . . . . . . . QSYSOPR Name, *SAME,
*CTLD...
Library . . . . . . . . . . . *LIBL Name,
*LIBL, *CURLIB
Activation timer . . . . . . . . 170 1 -2550,
*SAME, *NOMAX
Inactivity timer . . . . . . . . *SEC15 1-30,
*SAME, *ATTACH...
Line speed . . . . . . . . . . . 19200 *SAME,
*TYPE, 150, 300...
Word length . . . . . . . . . . 8 *SAME, *TYPE,
7, 8
Type of parity . . . . . . . . . *NONE *SAME, *TYPE, *EVEN,
*ODD...
Stop bits . . . . . . . . . . . 1 *SAME, *TYPE,
1, 2
Host print transform . . . . . . *YES *SAME, *NO,
*YES
Manufacturer type and model . .
*HP8000
Paper source 1 . . . . . . . . . *LETTER *SAME,
*MFRTYPMDL, *LETTER...
Paper source 2 . . . . . . . . . *LETTER *SAME,
*MFRTYPMDL, *LETTER...
Envelope source . . . . . . . . *NUMBER10 *SAME,
*MFRTYPMDL...
ASCII code page 899 support . . *NO *SAME, *NO,
*YES
Image configuration . . . . . . *NONE *SAME, *NONE,
*IMGA01...
Character
identifier:
Graphic character set . . . . *SYSVAL 1-32767, *SAME,
*SYSVAL
Code page . . . . . . . . . .
1-32767
Remote
location:
Name or address . . . . . . .
'CS4'
DBCS
feature:
Device features . . . . . . . *SAME Character value,
*SAME
Last code point . . . . . . . 4141-
FFFE
User-defined options . . . . . . *SAME Character value,
*SAME, *NONE
+ for more
values
User-defined
object:
Object . . . . . . . . . . . . *NONE Name, *SAME,
*NONE
Library . . . . . . . . . . Name, *LIBL,
*CURLIB
Object type . . . . . . . . . *DTAARA, *DTAQ,
*FILE...
Data transform program . . . . . *NONE Name, *SAME,
*NONE
Library . . . . . . . . . . . Name, *LIBL,
*CURLIB

More...
System driver program . . . . .
*IBMSNMPDRV
Secure connection . . . . . . . *SAME *SAME, *NO,
*YES
Validation list . . . . . . . . *SAME Name,
*SAME, *NONE
Library . . . . . . . . . . .
Name, *LIBL, *CURLIB
Publishing
information:
Support duplex . . . . . . . . *UNKNOWN *SAME, *SIMPLEX,
*DUPLEX...
Support color . . . . . . . . *UNKNOWN *SAME, *NOCOLOR,
*COLOR...
Pages per minute black . . . . *UNKNOWN 1-32767, *SAME,
*UNKNOWN
Pages per minute color . . . . *UNKNOWN 1-32767, *SAME,
*UNKNOWN
Location . . . . . . . . . . .
*BLANK
Data streams supported . . . . *PCL *SAME, *UNKNOWN,
*PCL, *PS...
+ for more
values
Text 'description' . . . . . . . 'Sharp 70 Inside Sales
MX7000N'

CENTRINO

Oct 15, 2008, 10:52:00 AM10/15/08
System driver program (SYSDRVPGM) should be *HPCOLORLJ as stated in the
document or *HPPJLDRV depending if *HPCOLORLJ is supported or not by your
OS version.

You can try.

"Danny" <djkin...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje

Danny

Oct 15, 2008, 10:55:44 AM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 10:52 am, "CENTRINO" <n...@nonelandia.com> wrote:
> System driver program (SYSDRVPGM) should be  *HPCOLORLJ as stated in the
> document or *HPPJLDRV depending if  *HPCOLORLJ is supported or not by your
> OS version.
>
> You can try.
>
> "Danny" <djkindl...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensajenews:93284903-d54c-4752...@a18g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

I tried the HPCOLORJ per your suggestion and no luck either. Does the
5250 emulation have anything to do with this?

CENTRINO

Oct 15, 2008, 11:15:19 AM10/15/08
But you mean that the printer stops or is the iseries printer writer what it
ends?

Is the remote location name resolved by dns or the iseries host table, what
if you type IP addres?

Is printer firmware up to date ?

Have you seen printer writer log th see what it happens?

Good luck

"Danny" <djkin...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje

Danny

Oct 15, 2008, 1:05:02 PM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 11:15 am, "CENTRINO" <n...@nonelandia.com> wrote:
> But you mean that the printer stops or is the iseries printer writer what it
> ends?
>
> Is the remote location name resolved by dns or the iseries host table, what
> if you type IP addres?
>
> Is printer firmware up to date ?
>
> Have you seen printer writer log th see what it happens?
>
> Good luck
>
> "Danny" <djkindl...@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensajenews:8de226e1-59dd-48cf...@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

I think you are on the right path with the firmware idea. The last
MSGID I got from the log showed that it could not connect via the SNMP
server. I created an OUTQ to bypass the SNMP portion of the printer
and it worked. Apparently, the issue resides with the SNMP buffer not
clearing out correctly on the printer. I'm going back to Sharp and
looking for a firmware update. Thanks for all of your help!

Rodney A. Johnson

Oct 16, 2008, 1:24:12 PM10/16/08
The problems you describe sound more like a connectivity issue rather
then a data stream issue.

The mfrtypmdl merely controls the datastream generated and sent to the
printer. It does not control how the writer communicates with the printer.

Communications with the printer is controlled by the sysdrvpgm
parameter. Since you are using the *IBMSNMPDRV, the problem is with use
of the SNMP communications to get status.

You could try configuring the printer using the *IBMPJLDRV to see if
that works. Its not quite as good from an error recovery/error
reporting point of view, but may get you around the problem.

Another option may be to try the *IBMIPPDRV driver. This would use the
IPP 1.1 protocol. This has a lesser chance of working since many
printer say they support IPP 1.0 or even 1.1, but in reality didn't
support all the required options of IPP 1.0 and 1.1 (i.e. they did only
what was required to work with M$).

The last option, and likely the one that will always work, is the remote
writer. This comes with many limitations and a lot less error reporting
information. Some still want to have a printer device and have used the
TSPLPRD printer driver example program.

If you can get sharp to get you a firmware fix to sovle the snmp
problem, that is still your best choice. The alternatives mentioned
above could be a good temporary workaround. Or permanent if Sharp won't
fix it.

--
Rodney A Johnson
Working on a new project. Former technical team Lead for i5/OS (AS/400)

my employer, IBM. All responsibility for the statements
sender.