Old as400 Twinax to DB9 cable.

Luke

May 11, 2009, 6:43:03 AM5/11/09

I collect old computers as a hobby. I've been given an old B series
9404 as400 box. I have an InfoWindow 3477 console, QSECOFR password
and some twinax cabling, but I have no way to connect the twinax
cables to the workstation controller card in the server nor the
console.

I believe I need something called a 4-Port twinax brick for the server
side and a twinax T to DB15 cable for the terminal. The problem is
they are hard to come by and when they show up on ebay the shipping
usually costs 4 times as much as the part.

Does anyone in this group have them? If you do could you measure which
pins of DB15 and DB9 plugs go to which on the twinax connector?

Alternatively, is someone willing to sell those parts for a reasonable
price? I'm located in UK.

Regards,
Lucas

Brad

May 11, 2009, 9:56:43 AM5/11/09
Hi Lucas

Drop me an email, I can not say I have a 4 port for sure, I know I
have a couple of 8port ones arround but if you send me the note to
remind me (I'm on the road at the moment) I will double check.

I'm also in the UK so hopefully shipping should be reasonably straight
forward

Cheers, Brad

ht...@pacbell.net

May 11, 2009, 10:45:01 AM5/11/09

It's been awhile, but I "kind of" remember that the "B" & had 4 (or
8) conections in the back, at the bottom....

Luke

May 11, 2009, 11:29:47 AM5/11/09
On May 11, 3:45 pm, h...@pacbell.net wrote:
> It's been awhile, but I "kind of" remember that the "B" & had 4 (or
> 8) conections in the back, at the bottom....

I've seen some posts on other groups saying so as well, but mine is
different. It's got a 6140 card with two DB9 ports (marked 0-3 and
4-7). I've found on IBM's website there is a cable/converter P/N:
72X5645 which has 4 twinax ports. If anyone's got it I would be
grateful for a picture of the internals.

Regards,
Lucas

Ralf Folkerts

May 11, 2009, 1:40:20 PM5/11/09
Luke wrote:
[...]

> I've seen some posts on other groups saying so as well, but mine is
> different. It's got a 6140 card with two DB9 ports (marked 0-3 and
> 4-7). I've found on IBM's website there is a cable/converter P/N:
> 72X5645 which has 4 twinax ports. If anyone's got it I would be
> grateful for a picture of the internals.

Hi Lucas,

the Pinout of the 72X5645 is

DB9-Pin Twinax-Port/Pin
1 Port 0-1
2 Port 0-0
3 Port 1-1
4 Port 1-0
5 - Pin is missing on Connector
6 Port 2-1
7 Port 2-0
8 Port 3-1
9 Port 3-0

As I have no Clue re. the numbering of the Twinax-Pins: When looking at the
Twinax-socket, with the Notch on top, I numbered the left pin 0 and the one
on the right 1.

I'm rather sure there is some impedance-adaption inside the "brick" --
however, I have NO plan how that is wired. For my tests with a 5494 however
it was sufficient to solder a simple Cable (might have been luck, though!).
I'd be interested if you find that out (and it's not being posted here).

Btw: Just in case you don't have a MULIC-Tape for the System (and it's a
B20) and you run into the situation that you need the MULIC just let me
know; I have one lying around here that I keep for just the "emergency"
someone might need it...

HTH... Cheers,
_ralf_

Luke

May 11, 2009, 3:09:13 PM5/11/09
On 11 May, 10:40, Ralf Folkerts <ralffmail-ne...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> the Pinout of the 72X5645 is
>
> DB9-Pin Twinax-Port/Pin
> 1       Port 0-1
> 2       Port 0-0
> 3       Port 1-1
> 4       Port 1-0
> 5       - Pin is missing on Connector
> 6       Port 2-1
> 7       Port 2-0
> 8       Port 3-1
> 9       Port 3-0
>
> As I have no Clue re. the numbering of the Twinax-Pins: When looking at the
> Twinax-socket, with the Notch on top, I numbered the left pin 0 and the one
> on the right 1.

That is absolutely brilliant! Thanks. Do you by any chance know the
pinout of the other side as well? I mean the DB15 to twinax T as shown
here: http://www.biocomp.net/ibm30f5519.jpg
I've found this cable schematics via google:
http://www.ringdale.com/products/st/asp/control.wizmoreinfo/id.615/po.2/en/default.html
but I'm not sure it is correct, because after opening the terminal
I've found out the following which suggests pins 8,15 and 6 might need
to be used for something:
- pins 7 and 14 are connected to two diodes(posibly to short high
voltage or wrong polarity to GND) - probably they should receive the
differential signal
- there is a track(a short) between pins 8 and 15 which are not used
on the schematic
- also pin 6 is connected to a component on the terminal board (looks
like a SMD transistor)
- pin 1 is connected to an empty pad on the PCB
- the other pins are connected to GND

I might just bite the bullet and try if it works with just pins 7,14
and GND, but if you or someone else could confirm the pinout I would
be less afraid of braking the only working terminal I have.

> I'm rather sure there is some impedance-adaption inside the "brick" --
> however, I have NO plan how that is wired. For my tests with a 5494 however
> it was sufficient to solder a simple Cable (might have been luck, though!).
> I'd be interested if you find that out (and it's not being posted here).

I'll respond to this thread as soon as I know.

> Btw: Just in case you don't have a MULIC-Tape for the System (and it's a
> B20) and you run into the situation that you need the MULIC just let me
> know; I have one lying around here that I keep for just the "emergency"
> someone might need it...

Cool, I'll keep it in my mind.

Thanks again, I've spent ages unsuccessfully looking for this pinout,
Lucas

Luke

May 11, 2009, 4:19:02 PM5/11/09
I've got the console working now. Ralf, your pinout is correct. In
case it helps anyone else this is what I did:

I've connected the following pins DB9 is the server, DB15 is the
InfoWindow 3477 terminal:
DB9 - DB15
1 - 14
2 - 7
GND(plug case) - 5

Now I just need the exact spelling of the QSECOFR password, but I hope
the previous owner will help me with it.

Thanks for your answers everyone!
Lucas

Ralf Folkerts

May 12, 2009, 1:53:24 PM5/12/09
Luke wrote:

[...]

> That is absolutely brilliant! Thanks. Do you by any chance know the
> pinout of the other side as well? I mean the DB15 to twinax T as shown
> here: http://www.biocomp.net/ibm30f5519.jpg
> I've found this cable schematics via google:

http://www.ringdale.com/products/st/asp/control.wizmoreinfo/id.615/po.2/en/default.html
> but I'm not sure it is correct, because after opening the terminal
> I've found out the following which suggests pins 8,15 and 6 might need
> to be used for something:
> - pins 7 and 14 are connected to two diodes(posibly to short high
> voltage or wrong polarity to GND) - probably they should receive the
> differential signal
> - there is a track(a short) between pins 8 and 15 which are not used
> on the schematic
> - also pin 6 is connected to a component on the terminal board (looks
> like a SMD transistor)
> - pin 1 is connected to an empty pad on the PCB
> - the other pins are connected to GND

Hi Lucas,

just measured and wrote down (well, as you got the console running this is
just to make the pinout complete... I used an IBM 09F4215 as that's the only
ones I have.

As your schematic pointed out, Pin 7 of the DB15 is connected to what I
numbered Pin 0, Pin 14/DB15 is connected to Pin 1/Twinax. Pins 2, 3, 4, 5,
8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 and the DB15-Shield are all connected to the
Shield/Twinax. Resistance between Shield/either Pin/Twinax is 28 Ohm, Pin
0/Twinax - Pin 1/Twinax is 56 Ohm. All these are rather estimates, as my
Multimeter is just a household-one.

Cheers,
_ralf_

S SS

Jul 7, 2021, 9:24:20 PM7/7/21
Have any 6603 86F0100 DASD's --or compatibles-- for sale?