Obtain External IP address

Admin Rookie

Feb 10, 2010, 6:04:13 AM2/10/10

Does anyone know an easy way to obtain the external IP address of an
iSeries?
A company whom i plan to FTP files to, wants to restrict their FTP
server to my external address.
I'm not sure how i can get that as pinging only brings up my internal
one.

Robert Comer

Feb 10, 2010, 7:38:47 AM2/10/10
It'd most likely be the WAN side IP address of your router. How are
you connected to the internet?

--
Bob Comer

Peter H. Coffin

Feb 10, 2010, 8:49:27 AM2/10/10

Tell 'em they have that information in their ftp logs. "This account
last successfully logged in on 2010-02-08 at 16:42:03 UTC. Go look what
IP that came from." If there's more than about two logins during that
exact second, they're busier than any other FTP server I've ever seen.
If they have no logs, they've got bigger security things to fix than a
packet filter.

--
48. I will treat any beast which I control through magic or technology
with respect and kindness. Thus if the control is ever broken, it

Robert Comer

Feb 10, 2010, 9:01:39 AM2/10/10
There's actually an easy way, just go to
http://www.whatismyip.com/

in a web browser and it'll tell you at the top of the page.

--
Bob Comer

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 03:04:13 -0800 (PST), Admin Rookie

Madcap

Feb 10, 2010, 10:21:37 AM2/10/10
As another suggested, www.whatismyip.com or similar sites are the
easiest. But if your iSeries is not on the same local network as your
PC then this might not be possible. You could do a "trace route"
instead from a command line:

TRCTCPRTE RMTSYS('www.google.com')

You can use most any host on the internet as the RMTSYS since all you
care about is the first routeable IP it finds. That will be your
"external" address. After TCTCPRTE completes display your joblog to
find all the "hops" it took to get to the remote system. Ignore any
at the top of the list that are non-routable. Those are inside your
local network and will be 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x.

Admin Rookie

Feb 11, 2010, 11:03:21 AM2/11/10
On Feb 10, 3:21 pm, Madcap <mad...@jerryslab.com> wrote:
> As another suggested,www.whatismyip.comor similar sites are the

The trace route was useful. Hasn't shown me what my external address
is, only that of the router.
The website only shows my own laptops external IP address.
I may go with the suggestion of getting the other company to look at
the logs then lock it down from there.

As always, thanks for your suggestions!!

Stacey Skoljarev

Apr 20, 2023, 8:03:09 PM4/20/23
Thank you madcap, your solution worked for me!