HP82240B IR Printer Emulator info.

jimwebster

May 31, 2011, 1:51:20 PM5/31/11
http://jimwebster6.com/HP/

For what it is worth, I have created the above web page for those
needing a one stop source for this information. If you need help in
any way, don't hesitate to email me. (Assuming I can answer your
questions.) I am also looking for versions of Jarno Peschier's
HP82240B IR Printer Emulator programs beyond my latest version that is
dated 01-07-1997. His web sites all appear to no longer exist.

Nate

May 31, 2011, 4:21:27 PM5/31/11
On May 31, 1:51 pm, jimwebster <jwebs...@phoenixdetailingservices.com>
wrote:

An archive of the site can be found here
http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.jarno.demon.nl

Ther version of the emulator you have is the most current. From the
site:

"There used to be a simple mailinglist to keep up to date with
any changes in the emulator. There probably
won't be any changes to the emulator any more and just as the
mailinglist mentioned on the homepage of
this site this HP82240B mailinglist has died long ago. It too
shall not be returning."

jimwebster

Jun 1, 2011, 8:38:25 AM6/1/11
Nate,

Thank you!
I'll add that information to my web page as soon as possible.
(Possibly on Friday.) I spent several hours searching the web and had
not seen that link.

data...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2011, 7:59:58 PM6/1/11

Here is another one to look at. I've tested it with OSX.

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7081

jimwebster

Jun 6, 2011, 2:43:02 PM6/6/11
http://www.jimwebster6.com/HP/

I have updated the web site, with additional content forthcoming.

jimwebster

Jun 7, 2011, 9:30:05 AM6/7/11
I am now stuck on how to get the HP82240B emulator program to print to
LPT1:. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In most cases where the HP82240B emulator cannot find LPTx:, after you
have pressed "O", the program hangs.

http://geekswithblogs.net/dtotzke/articles/26204.aspx
http://www.decompile.com/dataflex/tips/usb_printer.htm

At home I have a printer attached to LPT1:. At the office my desktop
printer is attached via a USB cable. Through the direction of the
above URLS, I have installed the Microsoft Loopback Adapter on my
office PC so that the printer will be recognized as LPT1: by DOS-based
programs. I successfully tested my office and home printers by going
to a DOS prompt and trying three different commands, with each
resulting in a print-out of the current directory at the DOS prompt.
These commands were "dir > lpt1:", "dir > prn", and then "echo ^L >
lpt1:". Despite the apparent success of the printer tests, the
HP84220B emulator program displays "Printer off-line" and locks up.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

jimwebster

Jun 8, 2011, 1:22:14 PM6/8/11
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/megabuild.html

Part of the problem turned out being DosBox itself. DosBox does not
currently support parallel ports. However, an enhanced version called
Megabuild does. It is available at the URL above (version 6 being the
latest version). My USB attached printer now functions as LPT1 on
several old DOS programs that I have, but not Jarno Peschier's
HP82240B IR Printer Emulator program. Output is going to the printer,
but it is garbage that is printed across multiple pages. (I have
wasted a lot of paper!) I'm beginning to think that the printer
emulator is part of the problem. (Me being the other.)

DosBox Megabuild installs just like DosBox and the configuration file
is called "dosbox-SVN_MB6.conf". These are the lines in this file that
I edited, according to their location and my set-up:

[serial]
serial1=directserial realport:com10

[printer]
printoutput=printer

[parallel]
parallel1=file dev:LPT1

[autoexec]
# Change the directory name to match your own.
mount c /DosBox
c:

Once I have toyed a little more with getting the printer emulator to
print to LPT1:, I will update my website recommending DosBox Megabuild
over the plain version of DosBox.

jimwebster

Jun 9, 2011, 10:22:40 AM6/9/11
http://www.jimwebster6.com/HP/

I've updated my web site, but am still trying to solve the print to
LPTx: issue with the HP82240B Printer Emulator program