Who owns the HP-49G firmware?

Steve Meserve

Sep 3, 2002, 11:29:30 AM9/3/02
I'm new to the 49, but I've been reading a lot about it's history. I
know that HP shut down it's calculator development division, and that
1.18 was the last official firmware. I've upgraded to 1.19-6, and so
far it looks great. I'm wondering who now "owns" the 49 firmware code?
Is this the original code base from HP (1.18), or is it a complete
rewrite? Are the original 49 developers still out there (hpcalc.org,
et al) moving the software forward? Thanks in advance,

Steve

Jean-Yves Avenard

Sep 3, 2002, 4:00:32 PM9/3/02
Hello

"Steve Meserve" <steve_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It's a bit of both.
The HP49 firmware is own by HP and license some part of it (without owning
it) like :
The CAS (some is own by Bernard Parisse, and the rest by Mika Heiskanen and
Claude-Nicolas Fechter)
The MetaKernel is own by myself, Gerald Squelart, Cyrille de Brebisson and
Christian Bourgeois

Jean-Yves

R. G. Newbury

Sep 3, 2002, 5:19:34 PM9/3/02

And what about the rest of the 'intellectual' guts of the machine? The
ROM and micro-code which does the unit conversions, the
multiplication/stack handling etc...?

Just curious...and wondering whether there is sufficient material
available that a HP-48 could be emulated under Linux on an Ipaq...?

Geoff