ROM of HP48

129 views
Skip to first unread message

Jean-Roger CONDAT

unread,
Dec 15, 2000, 5:58:41 AM12/15/00
to
Where as it is could download the ROM of the HP48 knowing that now it is
legal...

--
Cordialement
------------------------------------
Jean-Roger CONDAT
France Telecom Sites - DOMICILE
http://www.domicile.fr
-------------------------------


Pigallio Lilian

unread,
Dec 15, 2000, 8:01:26 AM12/15/00
to
HP48G/GX ROOM here : http://www.hp-sources.com

Jean-Roger CONDAT <con...@ifrance.com> wrote in message
news:91cti5$k6g$1...@wanadoo.fr...

Grant D. Watson

unread,
Dec 15, 2000, 8:36:41 AM12/15/00
to
>Where as it is could download the ROM of the HP48 knowing that now it is
>legal...

Has HP released the 48 ROM into the public domain? I know that they provide
emulator ROMs for the 49, but if they haven't released the copyright on the 48
ROMs, they're still illegal to download.

Grant D. Watson
VBas...@aol.com
grant_...@yahoo.com

Jean-Yves Avenard

unread,
Dec 15, 2000, 11:14:17 AM12/15/00
to
A marketing decision has been made a few months ago (when the HP39/40G ROM
has been released) that it was now okay to distribute the ROM

Jean-Yves

"Grant D. Watson" <vbas...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20001215083641...@ng-bj1.aol.com...

Steve Sousa

unread,
Dec 15, 2000, 3:31:31 PM12/15/00
to
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <j...@NOSPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:trr_5.19452$xW4.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> A marketing decision has been made a few months ago (when the HP39/40G ROM
> has been released) that it was now okay to distribute the ROM
>
> Jean-Yves

Sad to see that "marketing" is now the holder of hp intelectual property.

--

Steve Sousa

Remove the anti-spam g from the address to reply

pagala

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 4:16:40 AM12/16/00
to
Ok how about talking them into letting you release the gx source as well
;)

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 5:55:21 AM12/16/00
to
Sources of ALL the ROM-revisions (public & internal) from 28C to "cyclops" !
:-)
Please ?
VPN

"pagala" <paga...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3A3B32F8...@hotmail.com...

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 6:03:37 AM12/16/00
to

"Steve Sousa" <gets...@mail.ua.pt> wrote in message
news:91e7ra$ivv$1...@venus.telepac.pt...

> "Jean-Yves Avenard" <j...@NOSPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:trr_5.19452$xW4.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > A marketing decision has been made a few months ago (when the HP39/40G
ROM
> > has been released) that it was now okay to distribute the ROM
> >
> > Jean-Yves
>
> Sad to see that "marketing" is now the holder of hp intelectual property.

yep! The Marketdroids have now the control over everything!

I wish they could release the Yorke schematics & VHDL design
at least with signed agreement to our hardware programming specialist
so that they could bring out our own fine tuned Nep-Tune CPU

with the features that are missing while retaining the compatibility
(I want HW mul & a wider bus, maybe 32-bit addressing,
deeper return stack more registers, etc.) and HP would outsource
even the manifacturing and with a much lower voltage and line thickness....

The possible HP solution, you marketdroids can showel into Ur-Anus !

VPN, opinions taken with a metric ton of sugar
(instead of a grain of salt)

Jean-Yves Avenard

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 9:57:11 AM12/16/00
to
Why.

You're not happy with this decision ??

As-if, giving away the ROM would make HP loose its intellectual property.
As it's very easy to retrieve it anyway, I don't get your point

Jean-Yves

"Steve Sousa" <gets...@mail.ua.pt> wrote in message
news:91e7ra$ivv$1...@venus.telepac.pt...

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 10:30:25 AM12/16/00
to
I'm happy - I'm happy - I'm happy !½!

Now: How about ALL the sources & internal docs
and the Yorke VHDL & main board schematics, etc..
Everything "NetScaped" !!!
:-) :-) :-)
VPN
PS: Can you persuade BP to respect the Angle mode¨
user flag settings now that he has all the room for CAS.
Possible with invisible switch to Rad & back
and automatic conversion or args & results....

"Jean-Yves Avenard" <j...@NOSPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote in message

news:bpL_5.20938$xW4.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

James M. Prange

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 11:06:07 AM12/16/00
to
Hi all,

In article <3a3b...@news.vip.fi>,

I didn't see anything about placing the ROM in the public domain, so I
expect that they didn't give up any property rights.

Unless I'm mistaken, HP is chartered as a "for profit" corporation, so
HP's management wouldn't be doing it's job if it didn't consider the
market when it made decisions.

--
JMP

China Township, Michigan, U.S.A.


Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Steen Schmidt

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 1:17:56 PM12/16/00
to
> PS: Can you persuade BP to respect the Angle mode¨
> user flag settings now that he has all the room for CAS.
> Possible with invisible switch to Rad & back
> and automatic conversion or args & results....

A crude way of doing this would be to place ^SAVECASFLAGS and
^RESTORECASFLAGS at either end of the general CAS command handler (whatever
code that may be, and if it exist in that way). Then a small check if one
really _wanted_ to change some flags, if so do not restore flags.

This is probably not possible, or else he would've done it.

Regards
Steen


Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 3:21:36 PM12/16/00
to
Hi, Steen !

I disagree with you ! Bernard surely can do this,
but it may require work on every trig related fn !
A LOT OF WORK !
But I think it's worth it.
Do you think it's worth it?

Parisse, please step up and confirm that it's "easy"
to do !!

Other opinions ?

regards
Veli-Pekka

"Steen Schmidt" <SSch...@nospam.dk> wrote in message
news:0lO_5.14639$0p2.6...@news000.worldonline.dk...

Steen Schmidt

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 5:14:54 PM12/16/00
to
> I disagree with you!

I think not, read below :-)

> Bernard surely can do this,
> but it may require work on every trig related fn !
> A LOT OF WORK !

Yes, I meant that the solution I proposed probably wasn't possible. It would
be so simple that he'd done it a long time ago then. I'm sure he can do it -
it's just a question of time and money.

> But I think it's worth it.
> Do you think it's worth it?

Absolutely.

Regards
Steen


ToddEStan

unread,
Dec 17, 2000, 11:29:26 AM12/17/00
to
Does that include the 48S Rom? Anyplace I could pick that one up?

Todd

--

Spam filters in place. If you are accidently blocked, remove nospam.

Michael Gährken

unread,
Dec 17, 2000, 1:15:03 PM12/17/00
to
ToddEStan <todd...@nospam.visi.com> wrote:
> Does that include the 48S Rom? Anyplace I could pick that one up?

48GX:
<http://wrc-1022.wrc.rice.edu/hp48/pc/emulators/gxrom-m.zip> Revision M
<http://wrc-1022.wrc.rice.edu/hp48/pc/emulators/gxrom-p.zip> Revision P
<http://wrc-1022.wrc.rice.edu/hp48/pc/emulators/gxrom-r.zip> Revision R

48SX:
<http://wrc-1022.wrc.rice.edu/hp48/pc/emulators/sxrom-d.zip> Revision D
<http://wrc-1022.wrc.rice.edu/hp48/pc/emulators/sxrom-e.zip> Revision E
<http://wrc-1022.wrc.rice.edu/hp48/pc/emulators/sxrom-j.zip> Revision J

Greetings

Michael
--
Michael Gährken --- email: mgae...@gmx.de --- ICQ#: 78904606

PGP ID: 0xA4CB230B /RSA # "Wars not make one great!"
PGP ID: 0x0AFD782F /DSS # Yoda in "StarWars - The Empire Strikes Back"

Steve Sousa

unread,
Dec 16, 2000, 5:58:30 PM12/16/00
to
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <j...@NOSPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:bpL_5.20938$xW4.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> Why.
>
> You're not happy with this decision ??
>
> As-if, giving away the ROM would make HP loose its intellectual property.
> As it's very easy to retrieve it anyway, I don't get your point
>
> Jean-Yves
>
> "Steve Sousa" <gets...@mail.ua.pt> wrote in message
> news:91e7ra$ivv$1...@venus.telepac.pt...
> > Sad to see that "marketing" is now the holder of hp intelectual
property.


I'm very happy, i just think that it should be a *management* decision not
*marketing*, it's the feeling that everthing is decided *by* marketing
instead of *based on* them. That's it. My statement doesn't imply anywhere
that hp is loosing or could loose it's intelectual property by releasing the
rom!
As we all know, as long as they don't *explicitly* give up that right(which
they won't nor anyone wants them too) they'll keep it. I was just refering
to the shift in the department that has control over it.

ToddEStan

unread,
Dec 17, 2000, 7:12:09 PM12/17/00
to
Thanks.

Todd

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 18, 2000, 2:09:20 AM12/18/00
to
"Steen Schmidt" <SSch...@nospam.dk> wrote in message
news:9PR_5.14260$XB.6...@news010.worldonline.dk...

> > I disagree with you!
>
> I think not, read below :-)
ok; NOT

> > Bernard surely can do this,
> > but it may require work on every trig related fn !
> > A LOT OF WORK !
>
> Yes, I meant that the solution I proposed probably wasn't possible. It
would
> be so simple that he'd done it a long time ago then. I'm sure he can do
it -
> it's just a question of time and money.

My english understanding seems to get worse :-(

> > But I think it's worth it.
> > Do you think it's worth it?
>
> Absolutely.

:):):):):)

> Regards
> Steen
rgrds, Vl-Pkk


Tom Gutman

unread,
Dec 18, 2000, 1:15:46 PM12/18/00
to
"Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" <v...@surfeu.fi> wrote in message
news:3a3ddac3$2...@news.vip.fi...
I expect that one problem with trying to honor angle mode settings is
deciding what is an angle. Consider:

EXP(X) -- is X an angle?
EXP(i*X) -- is X an angle?
EXP(a*X) -- is X an angle?
a is known to be 1 -- is X an angle?
a is known to be i -- is X an angle?
a is known to be 1+i -- is X an angle?

--
Tom Gutman


Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 18, 2000, 1:38:24 PM12/18/00
to
For (A)TRIG only (first)
VPN
PS: I already suggested using units in EQW
to distinguish angles
(including a new _2PIr angle unit [PI=Greek pi])

"Tom Gutman" <Tom_G...@compuware.com> wrote in message
news:3a3e54a0$1...@172.22.1.229...

EXP(X_r)

> EXP(i*X) -- is X an angle?

EXP(i*X_o)

> EXP(a*X) -- is X an angle?

EXP(a*X_2PIr) @ [PI=Greek pi]

> a is known to be 1 -- is X an angle?
> a is known to be i -- is X an angle?
> a is known to be 1+i -- is X an angle?

a is known to be 1_grad -- is X an angle?
;-)
Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

> --
> Tom Gutman
>
>
>
>


Wayne Brown

unread,
Dec 19, 2000, 8:25:00 AM12/19/00
to
I think Steve's point was not unhappiness that the ROM has been
released, but disappointment that it was a marketing decision. If
that's what he meant, I agree with him. Some of us prefer the days when
engineers made the important decisions.

Marketing, of course, should handle the really tough decisions, such as
"What font should we use on the retail package?"

--
Wayne Brown | "When your tail's in a crack, you improvise
fwb...@bellsouth.net | if you're good enough. Otherwise you give
http://betsyrandle.cjb.net | your pelt to the trapper."
http://urbmyth.cjb.net | -- John Myers Myers, "Silverlock"

Jean-Yves Avenard

unread,
Dec 19, 2000, 9:35:59 AM12/19/00
to
Let say that they probably took this decision because you had engineer
pushing really hard to have these ROMs released.

I'm very happy about this decision as I strongly believe that trying an HP4x
before you effectively buy it, is the best way to know that HP calculators
are the best in the world.
Not everybody can afford to loose $180 on a bet.

Jean-Yves

"Wayne Brown" <fwb...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:3A3F61AC...@bellsouth.net...

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

unread,
Dec 19, 2000, 10:32:45 AM12/19/00
to
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <j...@NOSPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote...

> Let say that they probably took this decision because you had engineer
> pushing really hard to have these ROMs released.

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

> I'm very happy about this decision as I strongly believe that trying an
HP4x
> before you effectively buy it, is the best way to know that HP calculators
> are the best in the world.
> Not everybody can afford to loose $180 on a bet.

Now - I bet you a HP calculator
(Do you already have an HP 71B)
that you cannot push the HP OS
to an *open source* Linux style OS !!!
Of course the official ROMs
would still come through you.

Wonna take the bite of this bet !

> Jean-Yves
X
Veli-Pekka Nousiainen,
ready to push back the stopped TI-Borgs

PS: I can't figure out the correct syntax for CASE
in 49G HPBASIC, 40G is ok...


Steve Sousa

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 11:02:55 AM12/21/00
to
"Wayne Brown" <fwb...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:3A3F61AC...@bellsouth.net...
> I think Steve's point was not unhappiness that the ROM has been
> released, but disappointment that it was a marketing decision. If
> that's what he meant, I agree with him. Some of us prefer the days when
> engineers made the important decisions.
>
> Marketing, of course, should handle the really tough decisions, such as
> "What font should we use on the retail package?"

That's what i meant! :-)

Steve Sousa

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 11:02:01 AM12/21/00
to
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <j...@NOSPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:jnK%5.25290$xW4.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> Let say that they probably took this decision because you had engineer
> pushing really hard to have these ROMs released.

Thank you. Keep pushing.... ;-)

Carlos Marangon

unread,
Dec 24, 2000, 8:37:06 PM12/24/00
to
I dont believe that HP took this decision based ONLY on marketing
but on another reasons also. Maybe marketing was the main
reason.

I am very happy with the realease of the HP48 ROM.
Was gone that days when users was forced to spent hours and hours
making ROM dump. Or looking for the ROM in sites without find nothing.
Or send emails to me or to other site owners asking for the ROM and
we be forced to say, I cant send you the ROM because it is prohibited.


Users Guide is available there are few months and now HP48 ROM is also
available.

Now people can test HP48 emulators and HP49 emulators and choose the
calculator they wish.( well, I said it already 5 times, I think:-))

It was a good decision from HP release the HP48 ROM.
It was to me most important than realease the XPANDER.

In article <91tpfp$cdc$3...@venus.telepac.pt>,

--
Carlos Marangon
Area48 - HP48/49 for beginners!
http://www.area48.com

Wayne Brown

unread,
Dec 30, 2000, 11:52:26 AM12/30/00
to
Agreed, this was a very smart decision, and long overdue. I'm glad to
see that sensible people at HP still have some input into the decisions
there.

Wayne

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages