48GX fails to boot

1 view

Felix Hammann

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Gentlefolk,

I call a 48GX (Rev. R, bought in 1994) my own. It survived several
high-altitude drops and even being soaked in water. Sturdy thing. I love it.

Now, however, it seems to have left me.It doesn't boot properly when I turn it
on. It either just displays a blank screen (I can tell it's powered on because
I can change the contrast) or it tries to recover memory and then, after a few
seconds, moves on to a stack and a SWAP error that won't go away.

Anything I can do? I don't exactly want to open it because it looks like new
and because of lively memories of a friend who almost killed his SX with such
a procedure.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

-- Felix Hammann <l...@doctor4u.com>

Charles Perry

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
There are people here much more knowledgeable than me, but I have 2
suggestions:

Use the reset button (hidden under one if the rubber feet)

Remove the batteries and let the calc sit for a while (or a few days).

These may help, or may not. They can't hurt however. I would definitely
try them before I tried to get inside it.

Charles Perry P.E.

Nate Eldredge

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
"Charles Perry" <chpe...@gte.net> writes:

> There are people here much more knowledgeable than me, but I have 2
> suggestions:
>
> Use the reset button (hidden under one if the rubber feet)
>
> Remove the batteries and let the calc sit for a while (or a few days).

Can you discharge the capacitor by shorting the battery terminals?
That would seem much more expedient...

--

Nate Eldredge
neld...@hmc.edu

Aaron Wallace

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
a common way to do this is to press the ON key several times.

ToddEStan

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Diodes prevent you from discharging the batteries by shorting the
terminals. And don't reverse the batteries or you'll be sorry. I would
try hitting on several times and let it sit for atleast 15 minutes.
Then see.

Todd

--

Spam filters in place. If you are accidently blocked, remove nospam.

Felix Hammann

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
It resurrected thanks to a piece of advice Aaron Wallace sent:

> Someone ought to put this procedure in a FAQ, but here goes:
>
> -make sure calc is off (hard reset with paperclip under rubber foot)
> -remove all plug-in cards
> -remove batteries
> -press the ON button 20 times
> -wait 10 minutes
> -insert batteries
> -do NOT insert plug-in cards
> -press ON

Thanks also to Charles Perry and Bill, who promptly jumped in to help.

What I found most interesting about the whole experience were the emails I got
from two people who "accidentally stumbled over [my] call for help for [my]
pathetic little doorstop". They told me to get a TI-89. <g>

Cheers,

Felix Hammann <l...@doctor4u.com>

ToddEStan

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
TI-89, why would you want that? The TI-80 is much better...

Todd

Felix Hammann wrote:
> Thanks also to Charles Perry and Bill, who promptly jumped in to help.
>
> What I found most interesting about the whole experience were the emails I got
> from two people who "accidentally stumbled over [my] call for help for [my]
> pathetic little doorstop". They told me to get a TI-89. <g>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Felix Hammann <l...@doctor4u.com>

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Hi !

ACO should put a key combination for a total discharge
into the calc. Maybe [ON]&[ENTER].
--
Regards, VPN
Veli-Pekka Nousiainen ; e-mail= v...@fcsolutions.com

ToddEStan <todd...@nospam.visi.com> wrote in message
!> Diodes prevent you from discharging the batteries by shorting the
!> terminals. And don't reverse the batteries or you'll be sorry. I would
!> try hitting on several times and let it sit for atleast 15 minutes.
!> Then see.
!>
!> Todd
!>
!> Nate Eldredge wrote:
!> >
!> > Can you discharge the capacitor by shorting the battery terminals?
!> > That would seem much more expedient...
!> >
!> > --
!> >
!> > Nate Eldredge
!> > neld...@hmc.edu
!>
!> --
!>
!> Spam filters in place. If you are accidently blocked, remove nospam.

Felix Hammann

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Yeah, I'd prefer a calc in the kHz range, too. <g>

I don't see all too many differences between TI models anyeay. All they seem
to be doing is change the colors according to the latest fads. OTOH HP's been
driving in the same direction with the 49.

Sad, sad, so sad.

Felix Hammann <l...@doctor4u.com>

In article <38864918...@nospam.visi.com>, ToddEStan