HP49G LGPL CAS release

Parisse Bernard

Feb 27, 2004, 7:57:28 AM2/27/04
Dear newsgroup,

I'm happy to announce the release of my contribution to the HP49G CAS
under the LGPL license. It means that everybody is now able to modify
the CAS source code (except for the files containing code from ALG48),
or add a new functionnality, compile it, make a new ROM, and use it
in his HP49G calculator. For more information, get the archive (see
references below) and look at the README, LICENSE and ABOUT files.
This release was made possible thanks to may people (see ABOUT file)
and especially Cyrille De Brebisson.

Have fun,
Bernard Parisse

Web: English http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/english.html
French http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/
Ftp: ftp://ftp-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/xcas/hpcas/casrelease.zip

Arnaud Amiel

Feb 27, 2004, 9:10:51 AM2/27/04
Thanks a lot. Does that mean you won't be working on it anymore.
I haven't looked at it yet but do we have a list of known bugs?

Once again thanks to all those who made this possible and those who will be
working on it.

Arnaud

Lilian Pigallio

Feb 27, 2004, 10:15:32 AM2/27/04
Excellent idea !!!

But maybe, Bernard, you should keep the control over the next changes on the
source code... to avoid some problems like the Linux multi distribution
compatibilities :(

Lilian.

"Arnaud Amiel" <aam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Khanh-Dang

Feb 27, 2004, 12:55:41 PM2/27/04
Parisse Bernard wrote:
> I'm happy to announce the release of my contribution to the HP49G CAS
> under the LGPL license. It means that everybody is now able to modify

It is such a good idea !

Khanh-Dang

Feb 27, 2004, 1:17:13 PM2/27/04

And it would be a good idea too if the ROM of the hp49(+) could be
released under a free license. Is it possible ?

Bhuvanesh

Feb 27, 2004, 4:08:06 PM2/27/04

This is very nice of you. Now the CAS development for the 49G(+) can
go on (well, at least in principle). Thanks for making this available.

Bhuvanesh.

Arnaud Amiel

Feb 27, 2004, 5:38:28 PM2/27/04
I just realised that it also means that we can take the CAS out of the ROM
and replace if we want by whatever we fancy. At least this would please
Helen (or maybe not).
Well I haven't read the licenses yet so I am not sure what we can actually
do.

Arnaud

Jean-Yves Avenard

Feb 27, 2004, 10:36:11 PM2/27/04
Arnaud Amiel wrote:
> I just realised that it also means that we can take the CAS out of the ROM
> and replace if we want by whatever we fancy. At least this would please
> Helen (or maybe not).
I'm not sure she will appreciate it. As we all know this program as well
as others where created by computer nerd kiddies (even if all the people
involved are > 30 years old)

Jean-Yves

J.Manrique López de la Fuente

Feb 27, 2004, 11:30:15 PM2/27/04
El Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:57:28 +0100, Parisse Bernard escribió:

> Dear newsgroup,
>
> I'm happy to announce the release of my contribution to the HP49G CAS
> under the LGPL license.

At last, you could!

Congratulations master!

--
J.Manrique López de la Fuente
Club de Usuarios de Gijón

"@pasdespam.wanadoo..fr >

Feb 28, 2004, 10:52:49 AM2/28/04
Arnaud Amiel wrote:
> I just realised that it also means that we can take the CAS out of the ROM
> and replace if we want by whatever we fancy.

I would not recommend you to do that, because parts of
the rest of the ROM depend on the CAS. You would probably
not notice it at compilation, but unresolved entries may
appear in the ROM (or more precisely flash pointers would
point to something different or non-existant) and your calc
would warmstart or TTRM. I urge anybody modifying the CAS
not to modify flashpointer ordering. You can replace
NULLNAME CASRESERVED62 to 99 in cas2user.s to add new
user functions without modifying the order.

Xorxar

Feb 28, 2004, 12:17:10 PM2/28/04

> I would not recommend you to do that, because parts of
> the rest of the ROM depend on the CAS.

Are there so many parts needing the CAS to work properly ?

Xorxar

Arnaud Amiel

Feb 28, 2004, 3:03:30 PM2/28/04
"Xorxar" <xor...@laposte.net> wrote in message

> > I would not recommend you to do that, because parts of
> > the rest of the ROM depend on the CAS.
>
> Are there so many parts needing the CAS to work properly ?

As far as I understand it the hp49 ROM and the CAS are a bit like MS Windows
98 and IE. It is possible to separate them but it is not trivial.
This is in order to have a more integrated experience for instance using '+'
instead of a function called 'CAS+' or something.
I have looked a bit into the ROM and it is not because we have the source of
the CAS that we are going to have a great working updated system right away,
there are many dependencies and as was posted by @padespam (?) the first one
to play with it will certainly get some TTRM or worse, won't see them until
it is too late.

Arnaud

"@pasdespam.wanadoo..fr >

Feb 28, 2004, 2:10:16 PM2/28/04
> As far as I understand it the hp49 ROM and the CAS are a bit like MS Windows
> 98 and IE. It is possible to separate them but it is not trivial.
> This is in order to have a more integrated experience for instance using '+'
> instead of a function called 'CAS+' or something.

It's not just for the user interface. The new types routines
(ZINT, symbolic matrices) are sometimes in the CAS. Moreover
there are a lot of links between non-LGPL CAS code and LGPL CAS code.
It is therefore not possible to "remove" the CAS.

> I have looked a bit into the ROM and it is not because we have the source of
> the CAS that we are going to have a great working updated system right away,
> there are many dependencies and as was posted by @padespam (?) the first one
> to play with it will certainly get some TTRM or worse, won't see them until
> it is too late.

Modifications should not modify the FLASHPTR stack prototypes
(you can modify the implementation of course).
You can add new flashptr after existing ones and replace
some of the "reserved" ones in cas2user.s to add user words.
If these rules are followed, there is no reason to get TTRM.
If my recollection is correct, there is around 30K free in
the CAS2 bank for additions. If you need more, you can remove
part of the help (e.g. the French localization) or improve
the CAS implementation in size!

Manfred

Feb 29, 2004, 3:27:14 AM2/29/04

Hi Lilian, Hi Arnaud, hi all:

YES! I second that, it would be a shame otherwise, a mulit-distribution
model would definitely not be the way to go, it would be a disaster IMHO.

-Question: is Bernard willing to take on that role, or does this
release imply, as Arnaud has asked, whether or not Bernard is cleaning
his hands of the whole affair ??

On another front, wouldn't some form of cvs source control over a
central file server, be a good way to keep tabs on development in
progress; what are the possiblities here, and how would it be
administered, and who would be willing and able to set that up ...
there's great scope in the release of this code, but I think there is
serious need for direction - ideas anyone ??

Aside: In any case, this development means a re-think on all the
preliminary work I've been doing with Holland's MATHLIB, and while I
haven't seriously studied the Bernard's CAS code, I am sure there's
plenty there on offer for code reuse.

Cheers,

--
Manfred
(mat...@hotmail.dev.null.com)

"@pasdespam.wanadoo..fr >

Feb 29, 2004, 8:46:32 AM2/29/04
> -Question: is Bernard willing to take on that role, or does this
> release imply, as Arnaud has asked, whether or not Bernard is cleaning
> his hands of the whole affair ??

I don't have enough free time to work on my giac/xcas project and
to maintain the LGPL version of the CAS. All I can do is give
some expertise without any warranty of reply on the existing code
or on the algorithms.
I don't know if someone will really modify the CAS, but even if
nobody does, there are some parts of the code that can be used
inside other CAS (well I used some algorithms that I developped
on the 49 for giac/xcas like matrix jordanization),
so it's worth to release it.

vm...@alu.ua.es

Feb 29, 2004, 8:11:12 PM2/29/04
Manel.

I have installed the cygwin, but when I run "make" computer shows the follow:

$ make
->Dependence Vger7.n
->Dependence Vger6.n
->Dependence Vger4.n
->Dependence Vger3.n
->Dependence Vger2.n
->Dependence Vger1.n
->Dependence Vger0.n
->Dependence System.n
->Dependence FS.n
->Compiling genflash.c
Info: resolving _optarg by linking to __imp__optarg (auto-import)
Info: resolving _optind by linking to __imp__optind (auto-import)
->getting ext CAS2/cas2user.s
rplcomp: not found
->Copying CAS2/qpi.sext2 CAS2/qpi.ext2
->Copying CAS2/qpi.sext CAS2/qpi.ext
->Copying CAS2/zfact.sext2 CAS2/zfact.ext2
->Copying CAS2/zfact.sext CAS2/zfact.ext
->getting ext CAS2/eval.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/sing.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/ckconv.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/desolve.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/laplace.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/interf.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/trigint.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/signe.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/sum.s
rplcomp: not found
->Copying CAS2/util.sext2 CAS2/util.ext2
->Copying CAS2/util.sext CAS2/util.ext
->getting ext CAS2/specutil.s
rplcomp: not found
->Copying CAS2/sympsi.sext2 CAS2/sympsi.ext2
->Copying CAS2/sympsi.sext CAS2/sympsi.ext
->Copying CAS2/numpsi.sext2 CAS2/numpsi.ext2
->Copying CAS2/numpsi.sext CAS2/numpsi.ext
->Copying CAS2/asmpsi.sext2 CAS2/asmpsi.ext2
->Copying CAS2/asmpsi.sext CAS2/asmpsi.ext
->Copying CAS2/symgamma.sext2 CAS2/symgamma.ext2
->Copying CAS2/symgamma.sext CAS2/symgamma.ext
->Copying CAS2/numgamma.sext2 CAS2/numgamma.ext2
->Copying CAS2/numgamma.sext CAS2/numgamma.ext
->Copying CAS2/asmgamma.sext2 CAS2/asmgamma.ext2
->Copying CAS2/asmgamma.sext CAS2/asmgamma.ext
->getting ext CAS2/matrix.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/integr7.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/arit.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/sturm.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/help.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/bank64.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/cas2msg.s
rplcomp: not found
->getting ext CAS2/cas2cfg.s
rplcomp: not found
makerom: not found
->change in CAS2 interface
awk: equ.awk:2: fatal: cannot open file
rectory)
awk: cas2extdec.awk:2: fatal: cannot ope
e or directory)
awk: cas2ext.awk:2: fatal: cannot open f
r directory)
awk: funclist.awk:2: fatal: cannot open
or directory)
->Rpcompiling HeaderCAS2/header.s
rplcomp: not found
make: *** [HeaderCAS2/header.o] Error 1

It shows some error and doesnt make useful files.
How can I do it?

Goood-bye!

Khanh-Dang

Mar 1, 2004, 1:26:11 PM3/1/04
vm...@alu.ua.es wrote:
> $ make
[snip]

> rplcomp: not found
> make: *** [HeaderCAS2/header.o] Error 1
>

> It shows some error and doesnt make useful files.

Just read the error message : a file named rplcomp is missing, you
should get it, or set correctly the path to it.

vm...@alu.ua.es

Mar 2, 2004, 7:56:20 AM3/2/04
Khanh-Dang <k...@fr.invalid> wrote in message news:<c1vv33$r7f$1...@news-reader5.wanadoo.fr>...

Manel.
The trouble is that rplcomp file is at tools directory. It is an
MS-DOS executable file, and the "make" runs only in Linux.

I think lefts the source code for rplcomp to compile it in Linux.

Any solution?
Any body has built the rom?

Goooood-bye!

Arnaud Amiel

Mar 2, 2004, 3:28:12 PM3/2/04

<vm...@alu.ua.es> wrote in message

> The trouble is that rplcomp file is at tools directory. It is an
> MS-DOS executable file, and the "make" runs only in Linux.

I haven't tried but it seems the CAS has to be built with cygwin.
http://www.cygwin.com/ which brings the GNU tools (what you call Linux) to
windows (MS-DOS).

I don't intend to download cygwin with my dial-up modem so I won't try to
build the ROM. I would however be happy to contribute a bit to any
structured project to remove all the known bugs from the CAS.

Anyone feeling like organising such a project?

Arnaud

Rodrigo Linfati

Mar 3, 2004, 2:20:40 PM3/3/04
on rom 1.19-6 write "version" and say
Version HP49-B
Revision #1.19-6
Copyright HP2001
and write "ver" and say
4.20010912

on rom build from "HP49G LGPL CAS release" write "version" and say
Version HP49-B
Revision #1.20-7
Copyright HP2002
and write "ver" and say
4.20010326

most recent ROM, but old CAS ??

--
Rodrigo Linfati
rodrigo(at)linfati(dot)cl

Lilian Pigallio

Mar 4, 2004, 6:02:37 AM3/4/04
mmmm interesting :)

"Rodrigo Linfati" <rlin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jean-Yves Avenard

Mar 5, 2004, 11:50:48 PM3/5/04
vm...@alu.ua.es wrote:

> Manel.
> The trouble is that rplcomp file is at tools directory. It is an
> MS-DOS executable file, and the "make" runs only in Linux.

Did you even try before posting?
You can perfectly run Win32 application from cygwin.
So even the Windows HPTOOLS will run under cygwin.
That's how I'm using it.

You could also recompile the hptools under cygwin, but they then run
much more slowly.

Jean-Yves

Jean-Yves Avenard

Mar 5, 2004, 11:53:34 PM3/5/04
Lilian Pigallio wrote:

> on rom build from "HP49G LGPL CAS release" write "version" and say
> Version HP49-B
> Revision #1.20-7
> Copyright HP2002
> and write "ver" and say
> 4.20010326
>

> most recent ROM, but old CAS ??

Yes.
Unfortunately, not only the HP49G ROM provided with the Erable source
code is a non-working one (all ports routine are buggy) ; it's
unfortunately enfriging copyright laws as it releases a HP-private
version of the ROM.

Then secondly, the CAS source code is not the last one.

Hopefully, both problems will be corrected one day
Jean-Yves

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Mar 6, 2004, 7:32:57 PM3/6/04
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Yes.
> Unfortunately, not only the HP49G ROM provided with the Erable source
> code is a non-working one (all ports routine are buggy) ; it's
> unfortunately enfriging copyright laws as it releases a HP-private
> version of the ROM.
Private?
You promised that MetaKernel goes GPL in year 2003 and
therefore the whole ROM goes GPL
That never happened?
Did HP buy yu out from free source

You punishement should be life time mandatory use of
MS Windows only !!!!
[VPN]

vm...@alu.ua.es

Mar 7, 2004, 6:40:53 PM3/7/04
Manel.

Jean-Yves wrote
>Hopefully, both problems will be corrected one day.

Anybody can explain me the meanning or "... one day". Could be 1, 2, 3
years or... never.
I'd like to think JYA or Parisse have no responsability in this
subject.

HP would have to pay to us (people how write in this group) for
offering a free technical support. Of course the way to pay us is
publishing buggy roms. Absolut emetic.

Or you think the HP49G is "what it is" due to the "extensive"
information provided by HP (I talk about the "wonderful" manuals of
the HP, where you can solve any doubt. (of course it is a irony).

The treatment of HP towards us would have to be more correct.

They must publish a new USEFUL ROM for the OLD HP49G with sources, of
course!!!!!

Gooooood-bye!

Jean-Yves Avenard

Mar 11, 2004, 12:13:58 AM3/11/04
Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:

> You promised that MetaKernel goes GPL in year 2003 and
> therefore the whole ROM goes GPL
> That never happened?
> Did HP buy yu out from free source

Sort of...
Allows me to finance my next project: the ultimate graphical calculator
as we all dreamed of..

Jean-Yves

Beto

Mar 11, 2004, 8:16:28 AM3/11/04
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Allows me to finance my next project: the ultimate graphical calculator
> as we all dreamed of..
>
> Jean-Yves

Can you give us an idea of what we all dreamed of??? Everyone has
different dreams :)

Regards,
--
Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen

Mar 11, 2004, 8:21:20 AM3/11/04
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
The gadget-geek part of my brains loves you, Jean-Yves!
[VPN] <drooling over the keyborrrzzzz....

Jean-Yves Avenard

Mar 11, 2004, 8:44:37 AM3/11/04
Beto wrote:

> Can you give us an idea of what we all dreamed of??? Everyone has
> different dreams :)

We will release the full feature set soon as well as expected time to
market. It's gonna be really cool.

Jean-Yves

Arnaud Amiel

Mar 11, 2004, 1:33:03 PM3/11/04
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

I am looking forward to this. Still I am very happy with my 49g+. Thanks for
everything.

Arnaud