WRQ PCLINK2 v3.53 install problem on 6.5pp2?

Mark Bixby

May 5, 2001, 1:00:19 PM5/5/01
Hi HP3000-L,

I'm having problems using Reflection 7.0 to upload PCLINK2 to an e3000 (6.5pp2)
across the Internet. I have tried both telnet and VT without success.

The file gets uploaded OK, but the test fails:

Uploading PCLINK2...
Attempting to upload c:\program files\reflection\host\nmpcl2.pub to
WRQTEMP.PUB.SYS
Trying Old-WRQ Protocol ("RUN WRQUPLOA.PUB.SYS")...
Attempting transfer of "c:\program files\reflection\host\nmpcl2.pub" to
"WRQTEMP.PUB.SYS;l" using Old-WRQ protocol...
"c:\program files\reflection\host\nmpcl2.pub" successfully uploaded using
Old-WRQ Protocol.
Checking for Host's Attention...
Host has returned.
PCLINK2 uploaded successfully.

Setting up PCLINK2...
Attempting to purge "PCLINK2.PUB.SYS" from host...
"PCLINK2.PUB.SYS" purged.
Successfully renamed "WRQTEMP.PUB.SYS".
PCLINK2 setup successfully.

Testing PCLINK2...
TestPCLINK2: Server Mode Failed.
FAILURE: TestPCLINK2, Line 2017, Error 10010, Command cancelled by user

Upload of PCLINK2 Failed.

During the "Testing PCLINK2..." phase, another small status window opens, and
says something like "Connecting to host", then hangs, then "Disconnecting from
host", then hangs, then "Unable to abort from host", then hangs, then I click
Cancel.

I have tried this both with the PCLINK2 that came with my Reflection 7.0, as
well as a slightly more updated PCLINK2 (v3.53) that I downloaded from the WRQ
support web site. The program is indeed runable after my upload attempt:

:xeq pclink2.pub.sys version

NM PCLINK2 (Privileged) Version 3.53.00 (Nov 06 1998 - 12:54:26)

But if I then try a real file transfer, it will hang.

Does anybody have any ideas for solving this? Thanks!
--
ma...@bixby.org
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...

Sletten Kenneth W KPWA

May 6, 2001, 11:45:39 AM5/6/01
Mark sez:

> I'm having problems using Reflection 7.0 to upload PCLINK2 to
> an e3000 (6.5pp2) across the Internet. I have tried both telnet
> and VT without success.
>

> But if I then try a real file transfer, it will hang.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas for solving this? Thanks!

Yes (assuming there is not some reason you *must* use Reflection):
Use FTP from either PC end or FTP/iX; and give up on termulator
file transfer..... but of course you already knew that...... ;-)

FWIW Sidebar: I pretty much swore off using any Termulator to do
file transfers some time ago; since FTP/iX became more capable
and "generic": On the whole it seems much more reliable; and what
I'm sending does not get "enhanced" or "decremented" during
transfer (I've seen a few several cases of that with termulator file
transfer (not Reflection) ).

Anyway, besides my smirky initial comment, above causes me to in
passing ask the general question: Other than people who have built
up Reflection scripts or etc, in general is there anything you can now
do file-transfer-wise with *any* of the Termulators; that cannot be
done with FTP ??...

Ken Sletten

Tom Brandt

May 6, 2001, 11:45:40 AM5/6/01
At 02:16 PM 5/5/2001 -0700, Sletten Kenneth W KPWA after Mark B. wrote:
>FWIW Sidebar: I pretty much swore off using any Termulator to do
>file transfers some time ago; since FTP/iX became more capable
>and "generic": On the whole it seems much more reliable; and what
>I'm sending does not get "enhanced" or "decremented" during
>transfer (I've seen a few several cases of that with termulator file
>transfer (not Reflection) ).

FTP transfers are also much faster than Reflection transfers.

--------------------------------
Tom Brandt
Northtech Systems, Inc.
313 N. 1st Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
http://www.northtech.com/

Michael L Gueterman

May 6, 2001, 11:45:46 AM5/6/01
Ken queried:

>Anyway, besides my smirky initial comment, above causes me to in
>passing ask the general question: Other than people who have built
>up Reflection scripts or etc, in general is there anything you can now
>do file-transfer-wise with *any* of the Termulators; that cannot be
>done with FTP ??...

Some customers have firewall "issues" with FTP that may not be present
with a termulator file transfer mechanism. Granted that's probably not
the technical answer you are looking for, but if I can get them to open
up the VT port(s), they can keep the ftp port closed down. Another one
would be doing file transfers via dial-up connections.

Regards,
Michael (whose Derby pick came in forth today...bummer) Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies LLC
http://www.editcorp.com
voice: 888.858.EDIT or 573.368.5478
fax: 573.368.5479

Mark Bixby

May 6, 2001, 11:45:42 AM5/6/01
Sletten Kenneth W KPWA wrote:

> Mark sez:
>
> > I'm having problems using Reflection 7.0 to upload PCLINK2 to
> > an e3000 (6.5pp2) across the Internet. I have tried both telnet
> > and VT without success.
> >
> > But if I then try a real file transfer, it will hang.
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas for solving this? Thanks!
>
> Yes (assuming there is not some reason you *must* use Reflection):
> Use FTP from either PC end or FTP/iX; and give up on termulator
> file transfer..... but of course you already knew that...... ;-)

Yes indeed, I already knew that and use FTP for all of my own file transfers.
:-)

However, I'm trying to get PCLINK2 working on behalf of somebody else who asked
for it to be installed, hence my posting to HP3000-L.

--
ma...@bixby.org
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...

John Burke

May 6, 2001, 11:45:43 AM5/6/01
> From: Mark Bixby
>
> Hi HP3000-L,

> I'm having problems using Reflection 7.0 to upload PCLINK2 to
> an e3000 (6.5pp2)
> across the Internet. I have tried both telnet and VT without success.
>
> The file gets uploaded OK, but the test fails:

<---snip--->

> I have tried this both with the PCLINK2 that came with my
> Reflection 7.0, as
> well as a slightly more updated PCLINK2 (v3.53) that I
> downloaded from the WRQ
> support web site. The program is indeed runable after my
> upload attempt:
>
> :xeq pclink2.pub.sys version
>
> NM PCLINK2 (Privileged) Version 3.53.00 (Nov 06 1998 - 12:54:26)
>

> But if I then try a real file transfer, it will hang.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas for solving this? Thanks!

> --

In transfer--->setup, specify "To HP3000 over X.25.

This is also what you need to do if you dial into ldev 21 and want to
transfer files using WRQ transfer methods.

John Burke

Doug Werth

May 6, 2001, 11:45:48 AM5/6/01
Mark,

Michael Gueterman mentioned that people often use WRQ file transfers because
a firewall is blocking FTP. This could also be your problem with WRQ file
transfer. Under newer versions PCLINK2 will open an extra socket for the
file transfer rather than transfer it through the session. It is likely that
there is a firewall in the way that is disallowing this port.

To disable this feature go to file transfer setup and disable the Fast File
transfer option. This might solve your problem.

Doug.

Doug Werth Beechglen Development Inc.
do...@beechglen.com Cincinnati, Ohio

> > Mark sez:
> >
> > > I'm having problems using Reflection 7.0 to upload PCLINK2 to
> > > an e3000 (6.5pp2) across the Internet. I have tried both telnet
> > > and VT without success.
> > >

> > > But if I then try a real file transfer, it will hang.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any ideas for solving this? Thanks!

Johnson, Tracy

May 7, 2001, 9:15:11 AM5/7/01
Is this the same PCLINK2 that has been around
for the last 12 years or so?

If you already have PCLINK2 there, there may
be no reason to overwrite it. The one from
Reflection 7.0 should be no better than the
one from Reflection 6.0, 5.1, or 4.3. You may
even find it on an old backup tape somewhere.

Of course if it is a new system, my point is null.

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors

Keven Miller

May 7, 2001, 11:00:11 AM5/7/01
Ken proclaims:

Anyway, besides my smirky initial comment, above causes me to in
passing ask the general question: Other than people who have built
up Reflection scripts or etc, in general is there anything you can now
do file-transfer-wise with *any* of the Termulators; that cannot be
done with FTP ??...

Sometimes I hate challanges :)
Just last week I needed to transfer a BRW RSPEC file. Its a variable length,
binary file.
So far, only Reflection LABELS seemed to work for me.

(Of course, if you have STD installed (which wasn't), you can make a STORE
file which
is Fixed binary, and FTP would work fine.)

> Keven Miller mailto:kev...@exegesys.com http://www.exegesys.com

Plan now to attend the
eXegeSys eRP Users Conference 2001, Oct. 1-4, Downtown SLC.
Register today by visiting www.exegesys.com/erp2001/welcome.htm

Andres j. Ogayar

May 7, 2001, 11:45:12 AM5/7/01
Ken,
"Label" file transfer in reflection is quite easy and user friendly. Of
course, it can be done with ftp, but you can also store any complex data on
papyrus, not on an HP3000!

Computers and software must ease our lifes!

-- Andres j. Ogayar
-- Raytheon Microelectronics

Wirt Atmar

May 7, 2001, 11:45:13 AM5/7/01
Keven writes:

> Sometimes I hate challanges :)
> Just last week I needed to transfer a BRW RSPEC file. Its a variable
length,
> binary file.
> So far, only Reflection LABELS seemed to work for me.

Actually, FTP should work as well. Indeed, if the transfer is MPE-to-MPE, it
will work magnificently. All MPE-to-MPE FTP file transfers are in a "labels"
mode, and they are very quick.

But if you have to transfer such a file through an intermediate PC, download
the file as a binary file. The "binary" mode makes no assumptions about the
file structure and it simply downloads the file byte-for-byte.

When you go to upload the same file, also transfer in binary mode (even if
MPE thinks it ought to be a variable length ASCII file), but be sure to
attach the proper buildparms onto the end of your FTP command. These record
parameters only exist when communicating with an MPE system, but you should
be able to do anything you need to, accurately and quickly.

Wirt Atmar

Mark Bixby

May 7, 2001, 2:45:24 PM5/7/01
Doug Werth wrote:
> Michael Gueterman mentioned that people often use WRQ file transfers because
> a firewall is blocking FTP. This could also be your problem with WRQ file
> transfer. Under newer versions PCLINK2 will open an extra socket for the
> file transfer rather than transfer it through the session. It is likely that
> there is a firewall in the way that is disallowing this port.
>
> To disable this feature go to file transfer setup and disable the Fast File
> transfer option. This might solve your problem.

Yes, it appears to be related to Fast File Transfer. If I disable FFT, the
transfer will work OK.

When I packet sniff from my client side, Reflection file transfer is only
talking on the existing telnet connection, and I don't see the client
originating any SYNs to the server, nor are any server SYNs being received by
the client.

But SOCKINFO.NET.SYS does show a socket opened by PCLINK2.

Does anybody know if PCLINK2 FFT is FTP-like and establishes a TCP connection
back to the client? If it does work that way, then possibly an HP firewall is
involved which is blocking the outbound connection for some reason.

I guess I will tell the user who wanted PCLINK2 that if they need FFT to use
FTP instead.

--
ma...@bixby.org
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...

Doug Werth

May 7, 2001, 4:15:23 PM5/7/01
Mark Bixby writes:

> Does anybody know if PCLINK2 FFT is FTP-like and establishes a TCP
connection
> back to the client? If it does work that way, then possibly an HP
firewall is
> involved which is blocking the outbound connection for some reason.

It appears that is the case; the workstation sets up a socket for PCLINK2 to
connect to. While I didn't use a packet sniffer to test, I did install a
personal firewall on my workstation that rejects inbound connections. Only
by explicitly allowing Reflection to act as a socket server could I get the
fast file transfer to work correctly.

Doug.

Doug Werth Beechglen Development Inc.
do...@beechglen.com Cincinnati, Ohio

Joe Silagi

May 8, 2001, 11:37:30 AM5/8/01
Reflection's Fast File Transfer (FFT) uses a separate TCP connection. On
the pc the port FFT uses is 30767. On the host side the port number varies
but is in the range 30000-40000. Firewalls will need to be configured to
allow access to these ports. If the FFT negotiation fails (default
behavior) Reflection will use the session port for the file transfer. In
the File Transfer Setup you can configure Reflection to negotiate (default),
always or never use FFT.

>Testing PCLINK2...
>TestPCLINK2: Server Mode Failed

The file transfer upload scripts do not use FFT, however, part of the upload
process tries to verify that the upload was sucessful. At this point (I'm
guessing -- without a trace) that PCLINK2 failed to negotiate the FFT
connection, so even though the upload was sucessfull the upload script
thinks it failed.

Reflection's file transfer protocol is configurable. By default it uses the
WRQ protocol, however, it is a simple matter to switch the protocol to FTP.
Two FTP choices are available, WRQ's FTP (uses the WRQ FTP client via
automation) or Microsoft's FTP.

Lastly, Reflection ships with a FTP client. In the last couple of years
(FTP client version 8 or greater) we have worked to make the FTP client's
drag and drop interface a little smarter about transfering file to the 3000.

BTW: I'd suggest using PCLINK2 version 3.53 or higher (I think that 3.54 is
going to ship with 9.0) since this is the y2k version.

Please feel free to send questions, comments, or enhancement ideas my way.

Thanks,

Joe Silagi
WRQ, Inc.

"Doug Werth" <do...@BEECHGLEN.COM> wrote in message

Bartram, Chris

May 8, 2001, 11:00:19 AM5/8/01
It's been a long time since I've benchmarked this, but way back when I did,
WRQ's (Fast File Transfer - not standard protocol) WAS faster than FTP.

Though the protocols are similar, WRQ's program was smarter than FTP, and
adapted itself to different packet sizes for it's data transfers, which made
a significant difference in throughput over links of varying speeds.

The 3000's network stack had been (and still is I think) significantly
slower than other boxes, and Reflection's FFT would take advantage of this
by using packet sizes as large as possible (minimizing the number of
packets) over fast links. Don't know if the modern ftp does this or not -
the older versions I saw didn't.

WRQ's labelled file transfer also seemed to do a much more reliable job of
recreating almost any MPE filetype... Recent FTP versions have gotten much
better in that respect, but I still prefer WRQ LABELS.. ;-) Call me old
fashioned, but it's always worked well for me.

FWIW,
-Chris Bartram

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list

Tom Brandt

May 8, 2001, 11:30:23 AM5/8/01
I may have been unfair to WRQ.

I just tried sending a file from my HP918 to a client's 939 using FTP, and
sending the same file from my PC to my client's 939 using Reflection label
file transfer. However, due probably to firewall issues, I couldn't use FFT
for the Reflection transfer. It took FTP 7.91 seconds to transfer 567760
bytes from my HP to my client's, it took Reflection 43 seconds to transfer
the same file from my PC to the client's HP using label file transfer, but
without FFT.

Also, Reflection label file transfer seems to have problems with
native-mode KSAM files. When I get a bad file label error when I try to
transfer one. However, I am using Reflection 5.2 on my PC; I don't know
what version of PCLINK my client uses. I have never had a problem
transferring native KSAM files with HP-to-HP FTP.

At 10:45 AM 5/8/2001 -0400, Bartram, Chris wrote:
>It's been a long time since I've benchmarked this, but way back when I did,
>WRQ's (Fast File Transfer - not standard protocol) WAS faster than FTP.

--------------------------------

Alan Yeo

May 8, 2001, 11:25:07 AM5/8/01
In article <9d6d9...@enews3.newsguy.com>, Keven Miller
<Kev...@EXEGESYS.COM> writes

>Ken proclaims:
>Anyway, besides my smirky initial comment, above causes me to in
>passing ask the general question: Other than people who have built
>up Reflection scripts or etc, in general is there anything you can now
>do file-transfer-wise with *any* of the Termulators; that cannot be
>done with FTP ??...
>

>Sometimes I hate challanges :)
>Just last week I needed to transfer a BRW RSPEC file. Its a variable length,
>binary file.
>So far, only Reflection LABELS seemed to work for me.
>
>(Of course, if you have STD installed (which wasn't), you can make a STORE
>file which
>is Fixed binary, and FTP would work fine.)

>> Keven Miller mailto:kev...@exegesys.com http://www.exegesys.com

<< small PLUG>>
Try the FTP client in the Free ScreenJet Emulator available from
www.millware.com. This gives you a clean interface to specify all the
attributes you need on transfer to/from the 3000.
<< end PLUG>>

Alan
Alan Yeo
ALA...@AFFIRM.CO.UK Just because you're paranoid
Phone +44 1684 291710 it doesn't mean someone isn't!.
Fax +44 1684 291712