Limiting the number of sessions

paul.t...@sparkresponse.com

Jun 4, 2001, 11:00:10 AM6/4/01
Hi

I am pretty sure I have seen postings before about this - can anyone help?

I am looking to limit users to one session each unless they log on as MGR or
MANAGER...can anyone help?

TIA

Paul Thompson
Spark Response
www.sparkresponse.com

http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp

Jeff Woods

Jun 4, 2001, 12:45:09 PM6/4/01
At 08:37 AM 6/4/01, paul.t...@SPARKRESPONSE.COM wrote:
>I am looking to limit users to one session each unless they log on as MGR
>or MANAGER...can anyone help?

I think Security/3000 from VEsoft may be able do this.

Alternatively, I think it's possible to make an "option logon,nobreak" UDC
determine if a user is already logged on... and if so echo a message and
log them off.

-- Jeff Woods
"The great thing about Open Source software is that you can
have any color screen of death that you want." -- Gavin Scott

Karsten Holland

Jun 4, 2001, 1:00:10 PM6/4/01
I do this with a logon-udc and command file that counts other sessions for
the user and gives them a message and logs them off if they have more than
two (you could lower this to one in the line that reads "if shw_count>2
then"). The logon UDC that calls this command first checks that the invoking
process is a session and not MGR user (an example UDC follows the command):

comment COUNTSES command - check user's SESSION COUNT
setvar shw_count,0
purge shw00tmp >$null
purge shw00tmp,temp >$null
build shw00tmp;temp;msg;rec=-79,,f,ascii;nocctl;disc=1024
file shw00tmp,oldtemp
SHOWJOB JOB=!HPUSER.!HPACCOUNT;EXEC;*shw00tmp
while finfo("shw00tmp","eof")>0 do
input shw00tmp_rec_1<shw00tmp
if POS("EXEC",shw00tmp_rec_1) >0 AND POS("#S",shw00tmp_rec_1)>0 then
echo !shw00tmp_rec_1 >>shw01tmp
setvar shw_count,shw_count+1
endif
endwhile
if shw_count>2 then
print shw01tmp
echo
echo ![CHR(27)]&dC****************************************************
echo ![CHR(27)]&dH* YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO SESSIONS! YOU MUST SIGN ONE *
echo ![CHR(27)]&dH* OFF BEFORE YOU CAN SIGN ON AGAIN. *
echo ![CHR(27)]&dC****************************************************
echo
bye
endif
comment END OF COUNTSES COMMAND FILE.

<><><><><><><HERE IS THE SYSTEM LEVEL LOGON UDC THAT CALLS THE ABOVE
COMMAND><><><><><><><><>
SYLOGON
OPTION LOGON
if hpjobtype="S" and HPuser<>"MGR" then
xeq countses.syscmd.sys
endif
comment
setvar AcctCmdGrp,LFT(HPaccount+"CMD",8)
setvar HPpath,AcctCmdGrp+","+HPpath+",SYSCMD.SYS"
SETVAR TZ "CST6CDT"
*****
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<><><><><>

Karsten Holland
MIS Site Manager
NWS Corp. Chicago
(800)685-6868 (X8022)
khol...@nwscorp.com

User-defined command:

SYLOGON
OPTION LOGON
setvar AcctCmdGrp,LFT(HPaccount+"CMD",8)
setvar HPpath,AcctCmdGrp+","+HPpath+",SYSCMD.SYS"
IF FINFO("AUTOEXEC.!ACCTCMDGRP","EXISTS") THEN
XEQ AUTOEXEC.!ACCTCMDGRP
ENDIF
file QUADLIST;dev=LP;env=PCLPERF.hpenv.sys
SETVAR TZ "CST6CDT"

VANCE,JEFF (HP-Cupertino,ex1)

Jun 4, 2001, 1:15:15 PM6/4/01
Hi Paul,

I think you will find many replies to this question in the 3000-L archives
at:
http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html

However, here is how I might solve the problem with a logon UDC:

SYSLOGON # arbitrary UDC name
OPTION LOGON, NOHELP, NOBREAK
# This is the system logon UDC that.... blah...
# ...
# restrict session to a single logon, except console and MANAGER.SYS
if HPJOBTYPE = "S" and HPLDEVIN <> HPCONSOLE and HPUSER <> "MANAGER" &
and HPACCOUNT <> "SYS" then
if JOBCNT("@S:!HPUSER.!HPACCOUNT") > 1 then
echo Someone is already logged on as "!HPUSER.!HPACCOUNT"
pause 2
bye
endif
endif

Note: if the logon JOBNAME matters it is easy to add this to the string
passed to the JOBCNT function.

> I am looking to limit users to one session each unless they
> log on as MGR or MANAGER...can anyone help?

HTH,
Jeff Vance, CSY