swinstall and empty depots

Ralf Hansen

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
hi!

We have some problems with the installation of several depot files
from the 'Software Porting And Archive Centre'.

We changed 'Source Depot Type:' to 'Local Directory', and 'Source
Depot Path' to the absolute filename, in example
'/var/spool/pkg/example.depot'.

We got:

The depot "myhostname:/var/spool/sw/example.depot" exists but is
currently empty.

I had seen this with HP-UX 10.* and HP-UX 11.

I found nothing about this in the FAQ. Had anybody the same problem?

Ralf

--
TRADAV GmbH - Travemünder Datenverbund
Ralf Hansen email: RHa...@TRADAV.De Tel.: z.Z. 0451-7900-174

John Pezzano

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
to Ralf Hansen

depot files are not depots. They are tapes. Tell swinstall that you are

Ralf Hansen

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Hello!

John Pezzano wrote:
> Ralf Hansen wrote:

> > We have some problems with the installation of several depot files
> > from the 'Software Porting And Archive Centre'.

[...]

> > We got:
> >
> > The depot "myhostname:/var/spool/sw/example.depot" exists but is
> > currently empty.

> depot files are not depots. They are tapes. Tell swinstall that you are

It makes no difference for me to choose "Local Tape" then "Local
Directory". I got the message above again. In both cases I used the
full path of the 'depot' file. If I use 'Directory' and put in only
the path of the directory I get:

There is currently no depot software on host "myhost" at location
"/var/spool/sw".

fred...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
In article <37280376...@TRADAV.De>,
Ralf Hansen <Ralf....@TRADAV.De> wrote:

I had the same problem. It seems that when you ftp the depot down it removes
the gz suffix. Rename the depot file to xxx.depot.gz and then gunzip the
file. Then just swinstall as normal. Point the source to
<directory>/xxx.depot and it will find it.

Jim Krol

mi_5

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
I know it's somehow ridiculous and I still don't understand why somebody told
me once to move these stuff to /tmp, like telling swinstall the depot
is /tmp/myfile.depot, and it worked!

In article <7gaijn$7bv$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

> > TRADAV GmbH - Travem&#40689;der Datenverbund

Ralf Hansen

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
Hello!

mi_5 wrote in <7gb4sk$n29$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>:

> I know it's somehow ridiculous and I still don't understand why somebody told
> me once to move these stuff to /tmp, like telling swinstall the depot
> is /tmp/myfile.depot, and it worked!

That doesn't work for me.

The mesage from "swinstall" is again:

The depot "myhostname:/var/spool/sw/example.depot" exists but is
currently empty.

BTW: Please cut down your citate a bit. The articles have references
to the other articles in it.

> In article <7gaijn$7bv$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> fred...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > In article <37280376...@TRADAV.De>,
> > Ralf Hansen <Ralf....@TRADAV.De> wrote:
> >
> > I had the same problem. It seems that when you ftp the depot down it removes
> > the gz suffix. Rename the depot file to xxx.depot.gz and then gunzip the
> > file. Then just swinstall as normal. Point the source to
> > <directory>/xxx.depot and it will find it.
> >
> > Jim Krol

That's not the problem here.
But I had this in the past, too. It's bad to use HTTP for downloads.

Thanks for the first answers!

Ralf

--
TRADAV GmbH - Travemünder Datenverbund

Martin Weiher

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Hello

for general understanding, /var/spool/sw will be used for a location of
a software depot.
So if you get a ..depot file (from ftp or ..) you have to filll the
software depot (/var/spool/sw) with the new depot file. To do this we
are using SAM!!!! --> copy files to depot. As Target Location we select
/var/spool/sw and as source location the path to the new depot file. SAM
will now (hopefully) store the depotfile to /var/spool/sw and will
update the "depot database".
After you have performed this step you will have access via swinstall to
the new depot (locatated now in /var/spool/sw).

Today I did not know any other possibility to have access to depot files
into /var/spool/sw, expect you have store a depot file directly into
that location and entered the full path to this fill.

By the way I you have several maschines this is a good possibity to
summaries all depot files at one location, so th other maschines have
also access to this "depot" via swinstall.

Hopefully this help

Regards

Martin