Sluggish USB mouse cursor with hp-ux 11.23 May 2005 on hp workstation zx6000 (Itanium²/ia64)

emeric....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2015, 2:33:46 PM4/26/15

For years, I've used an USB Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical hooked to my hp workstation zx6000. This Itanium² system was running hp-ux 11.23 September 2003 upgraded with all available patches at the time to bring it at the May 2005 level, latest supported hp-ux version on ia64 workstations zx2000 and zx6000.

Now, I had the opportunity to install a fresh hp-ux 11.23 May 2005 release. I immediately noticed that the mouse cursor was _slow_, as if I was running software only. I initially thought that graphics hardware acceleration was broken, but quick OpenGL tests revealed that I was wrong. I even tried a fresh hp-ux May 2005 reinstall a second time. Still the same issue. Replacing my USB Microsoft mouse with an USB Logitech one was even more dramatic: the mouse cursor didn't move _at all_. Switching back to the MS mouse brought back a running but slow mouse cursor.

I don't know what's the difference between upgrading from September 2003 to May 2005 vs installing a fresh May 2005 release, but here are the facts. I didn't bother playing with USB-00 driver and PHKL_37814 as I'm pretty sure June 2008 update won't work on my system. Should I try this route?

In the meantime, do you have USB optical mouse recommendations that are known to 100% work with hp-ux 11.23 May 2005?

Thanks,

Émeric

Mounaam

May 14, 2015, 11:05:27 AM5/14/15

Have tou tried to play with xset(1) command:
To set mouse acceleration and threshold:
m [acc_mult[/acc_div] [thr]] m default

Best regards,
Mounaam

Émeric MASCHINO

Nov 11, 2020, 7:33:07 AM11/11/20

I know, this thread is old. But the problem still persists today. So I ran everything from the beginning once again on spare HDDs.

Well, it seems that upgrading from hp-ux 11.23 October 2003 (I was wrong: October, not September) to May 2005 is different than a fresh install of hp-ux 11.23 May 2005. At least on the USB front, namely the USB-00 fileset.

When upgrading from 0310 to 0505, the USB-00 fileset release is B.11.23[.xy]. Device files are present in the /dev/hid directory and there's no /dev/deviceFileSystem directory. XFree86 is configured by default to run with /dev/hid/kbd_000 for the keyboard and /dev/hid/mouse_000 for the mouse.

By contrast, a fresh install of 0505 gives release C.01.00.00 for the USB-00 fileset. The /dev/hid directory is missing, apparently replaced by /dev/deviceFileSystem. If missing, the keyboard and mouse device files keyboardMux and mouseMux are created therein at boot time by the /sbin/init.d/CreateUsbSf script. XFree86 is configured by default to run with /dev/deviceFileSystem/keyboardMux for the keyboard and /dev/deviceFileSystem/mouseMux for the mouse.

There I am. I don't know if it's expected that upgrade vs fresh install results in different fileset releases (I've only looked at the USB-00 fileset). I don't know either if I can do something to make USB-00 release C.01.00.00 work fine with my mouse (just in case, insf -e didn't help and didn't recreate the old /dev/hid/* device files). I may try to downgrade USB-00 back to release B.11.23[.xy] as hp-ux 11.23 May 2005 is the last available release for the Itanium workstations, so I can't upgrade to the newer USB-02 fileset for example. Last, if I could put my hands on a hp mouse A7861-65101 (part of hp A7861C USB keyboard and mouse kit), the problem might solved by itself.

Émeric

Émeric MASCHINO

Nov 11, 2020, 4:24:31 PM11/11/20
Confirmed: Uninstalling the USB-00 fileset fix this issue.

The reason why there was no problem prior to hp-ux 11.23 May 2005 release is that the USB-00 fileset release B.11.23.[xy] was installed but not enabled by default. The legacy driver stack was then in use to manage the HID devices. With the May 2005 update, the USB-00 fileset was upgraded to release C.01.00.00 and the provided kernel modules were enabled by default.

Since the USB-00 fileset was there (it has been superseded by USB-02) to enable hardware for future servers, it is useless for my hp workstation zx6000 and can be removed flawlessly. Just ensure that CDE isn't running prior to uninstalling USB-00:

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc stop
# swremove -x autoreboot=true USB-00

A new kernel is rebuilt and the system rebooted. Everything now runs fine :-)

Émeric