Problems with NFS

Burkhard Schultheis

Dec 16, 2014, 10:40:09 AM12/16/14
I know that it's not possible to install with swinstall from a NFS
drive. I've read the reason is that "swinstall accesses the files in a
unique way".

But a college has a problem with a hanging perl script which is working
well on a local drive. Is that a known problem, too, that perl scripts
may hang when they access files on a NFS drive?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Burkhard

Klaus Graf

Dec 18, 2014, 12:10:38 PM12/18/14
In article <m6pjoo$gln$1...@news.albasani.net>, Burkhard Schultheis <burkhard....@web.de> writes:
|> I know that it's not possible to install with swinstall from a NFS
|> drive. I've read the reason is that "swinstall accesses the files in a
|> unique way".

While not recommanded, at least some versions of hp-ux allowed swinstall
to access a cdrom via NFS. I remember that it worked some time
for me. Later I did not try this again, since at that time all our
B1000/B2000/C3000/C3600 had their own cdrom drives. If you are interested,
I kann send you a mail with a posting of Bill Hassel, where he
explained how to access cdrom via NFS (about 1997). Possibly HP
implemented something in hp-ux 11.x to prevent these accesses.

|> But a college has a problem with a hanging perl script which is working
|> well on a local drive. Is that a known problem, too, that perl scripts
|> may hang when they access files on a NFS drive?

Is he using statd or lockd? I had problems in HP-BASIC (rmb) when the
network connection was slow or unreliable. Some versions of
/usr/sbin/rpc.statd /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd became "confused" when they
experienced network problems. Even ksh on series 300 could hang, when
the home directory was on a series 700 NFS mount and the statd/lockd
versions were "not really compatible". If you are interested, I can mail
you some hints from Scott Bayes (about 2003). With these informations
I could solve my problems without rebooting client or server.

All this is for hp-ux 10.20 and before, we never upgraded to 11.xx.

After all these years I must mention, that there were really competent
and helpful persons at hp, thank you Bill, Scott and not to forget
Frank Slootweg. (I know that this list is not complete.)

Regards,

Klaus.

Frank Slootweg

Dec 18, 2014, 1:42:43 PM12/18/14
Klaus Graf <gr...@elux.fkf.mpg.de> wrote:
[...]
> After all these years I must mention, that there were really competent
> and helpful persons at hp, thank you Bill, Scott and not to forget
> Frank Slootweg. (I know that this list is not complete.)

Blush! Thanks for the compliment! These days, 11+ years after (early)
retirement from HP, I can hardly spell 'HP'-UX', let alone that I still
know anything worth mentioning! :-) But I had a great time at HP,
supporting HP-UX, and it is very nice that you still know and appreciate
us after all this time. Thanks for making my day!

akau...@cmm-measure.com

Sep 22, 2017, 6:32:20 PM9/22/17
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 9:10:38 AM UTC-8, Klaus Graf wrote:

> If you are interested,
> I kann send you a mail with a posting of Bill Hassel, where he
> explained how to access cdrom via NFS (about 1997).

I am interested in this. Especially if it could work with a CD that has an HFS filesystem that is unreadable to the host of the NFS server.