How do you pronounce "HP-UX"?

The Informer

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
still say "H-P UNIX".

Which is right?

Douglas Stetner

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00

In my opinion, neither, it is H-pucks 8-)

--
Douglas G. Stetner Senior UNIX Support Engineer
ste...@nortelnetworks.com Nortel Networks

Doug O'Leary

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
In article <38ea61f3...@news.swbell.net>, Info...@atnispam.org
says...

> Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> still say "H-P UNIX".
>
> Which is right?

I would think that if this is all that you all have to worry about, then
you have *way* too much time on your hands....

--
==============
Douglas K. O'Leary

Hinnerk Hagenah

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Info...@atnispam.org (The Informer) writes:

> Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> still say "H-P UNIX".
>
> Which is right?

I prefer H-P-sucks, which is quite understandable.

Hinnerk
--
Dipl.-Inf. H. Hagenah LFT, FAU Erlangen h...@lft.uni-erlangen.de
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's

Herbert Fukerider

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
The Informer wrote:

> Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> still say "H-P UNIX".
>
> Which is right?

Hope it means not "HP minus UNIX [ plus M$Windblows ]"
as the hidden marketing strategy

Mark Johnson

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
"The Informer" <Info...@atnispam.org> wrote in message

> Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> still say "H-P UNIX".
>
> Which is right?

I honestly don't know which is right, but I have often wished that the
founders of the company named it Packard-Hewlett.

:-)

Michael Saunderson

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Have you tried asking HP Support?

Ralf Hildebrandt

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
>Have you tried asking HP Support?

<RANT>I bet they don't know. Be sure to let them escalate this.</RANT>

Michael Saunderson

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
But the real question is,

Have you tried applying the latest "name pronounciation" patch

Ralf Hildebrandt

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:29:45 +0100, Michael Saunderson <saun...@apci.com> wrote:
>But the real question is,
>
>Have you tried applying the latest "name pronounciation" patch?

:)

Or better still:

"pronounciation is not supported in <version of HP-UX you happen to have>,
be sure to update to <version of HP-UX which doesn't run the mission
critical you happen to need>".

GuruJr.

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
I can't believe I am answering this question! =)
I say, "HP Unix."

Foo

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
>Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
>still say "H-P UNIX".
>
>Which is right?

HP-UX Pronounce it "H-P-sucks"

Windows Pronounce it "Window$-sucks"

Linux Pronounce it "Linux-rules" (yeah, there's a trap here)

Matt Sinfield

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
That mean you don't like them? Try Oracle Support, compared to them
they're a dream....

John Pezzano

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
The Informer wrote:

> Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> still say "H-P UNIX".
>
> Which is right?

I started with HP-UX in 1985 and then as now, we all called it H P U X.

Bo Thidé

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00

This pronunciation was the recommended one 1982 when we started to use
HP-UX :-)

Bo

--

^ Bo Thidé http://www.wavegroup.irfu.se/~bt
|I| Wave Group, Institute of Space Physics, SE-755 91 Uppsala, Sweden
|R| Office: Villavägen 3. Phone: +46 018-4717269. Fax: +46 018-554917
/|F|\ Mobile Phone: 0705-613670 Home Phone: 018-554184 Ham Call: SM5DFW
~~U~~ E-Mail: mailto:b...@plasma.uu.se Mobile mail: mailto:cal...@irfu.se

sysnovice

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
We pronounce it Haow Paue Unis Xsisa.

Hope this helps.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Larry Liska

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00

> The Informer wrote:
> >
> > Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> > still say "H-P UNIX".

I'm partial to "hockey pucks". Wow, I've never heard "hippucks".......

lcl

j_g...@my-deja.com

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00

Info...@atnispam.org (The Informer) wrote:
> Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> still say "H-P UNIX".
>
> Which is right?

Depends on the OS version. I call it either 10.20 ( ten-twenty or ten
dot twenty ) or 11.00 ( eleven or eleven dot oh, or eleven dot oh oh).
Or H-P-U-X. Thats what the support usually calls it.

JG

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Oleksandr Chubaruk

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

<j_g...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8dku1q$420$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <38ea61f3...@news.swbell.net>,
> Info...@atnispam.org (The Informer) wrote:
> > Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> > still say "H-P UNIX".
> >
> > Which is right?
> >

> Depends on the OS version. I call it either 10.20 ( ten-twenty or ten
> dot twenty ) or 11.00 ( eleven or eleven dot oh, or eleven dot oh oh).
> Or H-P-U-X. Thats what the support usually calls it.

The one more way is "shpoox"
:-)

--
Sincerely,
Oleksandr "Sanay" Chubaruk

Tim Mooney

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
In article <95666321...@ipt2.iptelecom.net.ua>,

Oleksandr Chubaruk <Oleksandr...@bmsec.kiev.ua> wrote:

> <j_g...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8dku1q$420$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > In article <38ea61f3...@news.swbell.net>,
> > Info...@atnispam.org (The Informer) wrote:
> > > Some people pronounce it "H-P-U-X". Others say "hippucks". Others
> > > still say "H-P UNIX".

I've heard some of the old BSD people call it either

hockey-pucks

or

h-pucks

(that's phonetic, roughly). I always "spelled it out" (H P U X) when
pronouncing it until I heard Eric Allman's alternate pronunciations. Now
I kind of alternate.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney moo...@dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Information Technology Services (701) 231-1076 (Voice)

Gary Seubert

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Michael Saunderson wrote:

> But the real question is,
>
> Have you tried applying the latest "name pronounciation" patch
>
> Ralf Hildebrandt wrote in message ...
> >>Have you tried asking HP Support?
> >
> ><RANT>I bet they don't know. Be sure to let them escalate this.</RANT>

Be careful - there have been drastic changes to Patching for HP-UX 11.
In addition to 32 & 64 bit name pronounciation Patches, you'll need
a lot of Dependencies and, once "committed", you may no longer be
able to return to the previous pronounciation! ;-)
--
Gary Seubert
ga...@aosi.com

bmi...@cisco.com

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Tim Mooney <moo...@dogbert.cc.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> I've heard some of the old BSD people call it either

> hockey-pucks

> or

> h-pucks

> (that's phonetic, roughly). I always "spelled it out" (H P U X) when
> pronouncing it until I heard Eric Allman's alternate pronunciations. Now
> I kind of alternate.

When I worked in the Unix Development Labs at HP everyone called
it HPUX (spelled out).

cheers,
Bryan

Uwe Rudloff

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
I've heard some Germans say 'hah-pooks'

Gesundheit,
Uwe Rudloff

Olaf Hopp

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
Uwe Rudloff wrote:

> I've heard some Germans say 'hah-pooks'

Yes, thats the pronounciation I'll prefer.

Olaf

__0
_-\<,_ Dipl.-Geophys. Olaf Hopp
(_)/ (_) System administrator "Graphical Engineering Systems"

University of Stuttgart EMail:
Olaf...@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Institute of Computer Science
Breitwiesenstr. 20-22 Fon : +49 (711) 7816-316
D-70565 Stuttgart / Germany Fax : +49 (711) 7816-320

WWW:
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ifi/gr/mitarbeiter/hopp/home.html

JW

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
bmi...@cisco.com wrote:

> When I worked in the Unix Development Labs at HP everyone called
> it HPUX (spelled out).

When I took some HP-UX administration classes at HP, the
instructors all called it "Unix" ;-)

bmi...@cisco.com

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00

Actually "UNIX" is a licensed and registered trademark. At least
it was a few years ago...

-Bryan

Frank Slootweg

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Yes, but it is licensed through X/Open Company Limited to X/Open
conformant suppliers. Hence you/we can call HP-UX "UNIX" (but not the
other way around! :-))