How to reset root on a 9000/382 w/HP-UX 9 (?)

Pete Lancashire

Mar 15, 2017, 9:04:12 PM3/15/17
Anoter 382 has been added to the collection, the first one with a hard drive

https://goo.gl/photos/rDN8bhjVxoeSCw7k8

Not sure if HPUX is 9 but can't find a way to change the boot to single user so I can reset root's password

What does one need to do ?

=pete

Frank Slootweg

Mar 16, 2017, 11:24:02 AM3/16/17
These are my notes on the subject (last posted in April 2008! :-)):

Please try:

- Let the system boot.

- When the system is fully booted, power it off, i.e. do *not* do a
shutdown(1M).

- Power-up.

- Because the system was not properly shutdown, it will start to
fsck(1M) the disk(s).

- Before, when and after fsck is running, i.e. before and after the
"/etc/bcheckrc:" (note colon) message, *repeatedly* type:

- CTRL-\, i.e. press-and-hold the "CTRL" key and press the "\" key.
If that does not work, then start over and try:

- DEL, i.e. press-and-hold the "Shift" key and press the ESC/DEL key,
If that does not work, then start over and try:

- CTRL-C, i.e. press-and-hold the "CTRL" key and press the "C" key,

- For a default system, this will hopefully abort the boot process or/
and fsck and will hopefully give you a "(in bcheckrc)# " prompt. If
so, you are in single user mode.

I hope this helps. If it does, then please report which of the 'magic'
characters (CTRL-\ or DEL or CTRL-C)) worked.

Pete Lancashire

Mar 16, 2017, 9:29:51 PM3/16/17
Frank,

Saw your post but didn't try each of the above.

Thanks will give it a shot.

I'm also on the hunt for 9 ISO's hopefully someone here has them. Next fingers crossed someone close by can let me mount the drive on their system.

Wonder if someone ever did a HPUX filesystem say Linux.

-pete

BTW how many still here ?

Pete Lancashire

Mar 16, 2017, 10:32:24 PM3/16/17
Frank

Your the man !!!!!

<ctrl>-\ on the 2nd try did it.

First time caused a panic and a dump, 2nd time it dropped me into single user.

Forced a fsck and rebooted.

I'm now into my first HP-UX systems. This guy has 9.10 on it, and looks like nothing else. A bit tough navigating with the numeric pad to move the cursor, next is to get a mouse.

Had my fingers crossed there was HP Basic. But not complaining in any way.
My test equipment can wait for a while.

Again

Thanks !!

-pet

Frank Slootweg

Mar 17, 2017, 10:01:22 AM3/17/17
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

forol...@rogers.com

Apr 13, 2018, 11:52:45 AM4/13/18
I have several HP 382 machines for HPIB test control, and have HP-UX 9.10 with Y2000 fixes and BASIC 6.5 and verification software for the HP 70000 series spectrum analyzer. I can easily copy the hard drive to make another bootable drive (> 1GB but < 2GB), but have ordered a SCSI2FC board with flash drive (inertialcomputing.com) to try it out. I have been in discussions with hp museum to get an easy way to post this software for others, as copying a hard drive is not exactly a user friendly way. I'd like to generate a bootable CD, but maybe SCSI2FC with 2GB flash drive is the easiest way to get there now. I assume you have most of the user/install manuals for 9.10 and BASIC, as they are still available if you search hard on the internet. Doug