LJ 1200: Identical printers, different offset

David Bolenberg

May 12, 2004, 8:54:59 AM5/12/04
I´m using 2 LaserJet 1200 printers with identical software on
the basis of DOS, Win ME and Win 98 SE.
The purpose is to exchange printers without making changes in
the software or to alter the setup before starting a programme.
Now, the problem is: The two LJ 1200 have different OFFSETS.
Vertical about 1/8", horizontal about one character.
For this reason I´m not able to fill (official) forms properly.
I asume it to be a matter of mechanical adjustment. Is it possible
to do the adjustment myself? How?
Or can this offset be altered by software permanently to make
the two printers identical?
So far I have not found any hint concerning this problem.
can anyone help.
Thanks in advance.
David

Quaoar

May 12, 2004, 6:09:41 PM5/12/04

The page control language quick reference guide is on the following
site. It has complete page property commands that might be used for
resetting the default left margin and top.

http://tinyurl.com/2ossr

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=29789

David Bolenberg

May 13, 2004, 3:41:57 AM5/13/04
On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:09:41 -0600, "Quaoar" <qua...@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>The page control language quick reference guide is on the following
>site. It has complete page property commands that might be used for
>resetting the default left margin and top.
>

>http://tinyurl.com/2ossr
>
>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=29789

Hello Quaor,
thanks for your reply. That´s quite a list of references.
I had already looked up most of it, but I seem to not
have found what I was looking for.
As I understand, you´re proposing the use of PCL-
sequences to reset the default margin and top.
But these settings would be destroyed every time
you turn off the printer and with every programme used
doing an initialyzation . In addition, not all existing
programmes can be altered that way. And this procedure
would have to be done for every single printer of one model.
I was rather looking for a means to insert the new offset
into the memory of the printer itself to where "Pages jammed.."
or "Pages mispicked.." are stored if a "mechanical"
adjustment cannot be realized.
Have I overread the concerned parts? Have you got a hint
where to find just this?

David

Quaoar

May 13, 2004, 9:31:19 AM5/13/04

My reference was a suggestion that there might be a default setting that
can be reset to the proper values using direct PCL commands, essentially
doing it one time only. Frankly, I have never had or been aware of HP
printers having a problem like this if the drivers were identical and
installed properly, unless the printer was set up for the wrong paper or
margins by default. Does this problem manifest if using any standard
applications like Notepad, DOS text editor, MS Word, Irfanview for
photos?

Quaoar

May 13, 2004, 9:45:40 AM5/13/04

Take a look at this HP page on editing the default page description
file. Check that the settings are identical. http://tinyurl.com/ywcww
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl02545

David Bolenberg

May 13, 2004, 12:19:04 PM5/13/04

>Take a look at this HP page on editing the default page description
>file. Check that the settings are identical. http://tinyurl.com/ywcww
>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl02545

I´ll try it out and let you know later.
David

David Bolenberg

May 13, 2004, 12:24:20 PM5/13/04

>My reference was a suggestion that there might be a default setting that
>can be reset to the proper values using direct PCL commands, essentially
>doing it one time only. Frankly, I have never had or been aware of HP
>printers having a problem like this if the drivers were identical and
>installed properly, unless the printer was set up for the wrong paper or
>margins by default. Does this problem manifest if using any standard
>applications like Notepad, DOS text editor, MS Word, Irfanview for
>photos?

Yes, it does on every application. I had similar problems with a XEROX
before. The copies were shifted slightly. This was easily adjusted
mechanically. But I have no one around who would do a similar job
on the printer in a reasonable time and without shipping the gear.
David

David Bolenberg

May 19, 2004, 12:56:07 PM5/19/04
On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:45:40 -0600, "Quaoar" <qua...@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>Take a look at this HP page on editing the default page description
>file. Check that the settings are identical. http://tinyurl.com/ywcww
>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl02545

Hi Q,
thanks for the hint on that file. I didn´t have it in use.
Actually had no idea of its existence.
Unfortunately there doesn´t seem to be a switch for the offset.
Maybe undocumented? I think I will try experimenting a little with
the TRAYxTEMP. Might be useful when experimenting with paper
of exraordinary weight. Some paper is making trouble when trying
DUPLEX print. It rolls. A lower temperature could help. But which
tray is which?
Concerning the OFFSET I helped myself by writing an extra driver
for that second printer including little tabs right after the
initialyzation.

See you,
David

printin...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2017, 5:05:35 AM10/15/17
The Khaefi Ltd. is one of the worldwide & largest corporate for sales of printing equipment. Our business headquarter is in Germany and you could find and purchase your printing machines with us and if you wish to sale your second-hand printing machines we are interested in itEmail Address : in...@khaefi-gmbh.de