How Do I Turn Off the Webcam?

TC

Apr 3, 2008, 4:18:40 PM4/3/08
I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 notebook computer. Today, I joined a Webex
meeting. As soon as I entered the meeting, the blue light next to my
webcam camera turned on by itself, indicating that the camera was
being used. I don't know if anyone was watching me or not, but to be
safe, I tried to turn off the camera. Unfortunately, I could find no
way to turn it off. I have a webcam icon in my taskbar which has an
"Off" option, but clicking that did nothing.

To get through the meeting without being seen, I put a piece of paper
in front of the camera. Because I don't want to be surprised in the
future, I've put a piece of tape over the camera. Obviously, this is a
very crude solution to the problem. I'd rather find a hardware or
software switch that turns the camera on and off.

Is there such a switch somewhere?

-TC

DC

May 1, 2008, 7:54:43 PM5/1/08
Should be seen in Device Manager as an Imaging Device. Right click it
and disable.

richard...@alumni.warwick.ac.uk

May 9, 2014, 11:20:23 AM5/9/14
Done that - "This device is disabled. (Code 22)" - doesn't stop the LEDs coming on :(

curtis....@gmail.com

May 10, 2016, 3:35:37 PM5/10/16
Not only that, disabling drivers in device mangier leave open ports on your system for vulnerability. Too bad you can't build a lab top exactly the way you need it. We only get one for the masses and manufacturing companies who force us to have what they want!

Steven Marinoske

Apr 22, 2021, 12:07:48 PM4/22/21
Fast-forward to 2021, and this issue still exists. Why the heck does Web-Ex turn on access to the camera even when it's explicitly turned off for the meeting options?