Re: HP All-In_One Computer problems

Arlen Holder

Jun 15, 2020, 4:05:08 PM6/15/20
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 14:46:48 -0400, Paul wrote:

> You could contact HP and ask about a "Recovery Disc"
> for the machine. It might involve a pair of DVDs
> perhaps.

What the heck is DIFFERENT about a "regular" & an "all in one" desktop?

As for the subject line, I had heard of HP "all in one" printers; but I
didn't know about HP "all in one computers".

Looking it up, I found it _is_ a thing...
o HP All-in-One Desktops
<https://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/desktops/form=All-in-One>

Although I'm not sure what "all in one" really means as even Costco,
apparently, has Apple "all in one" computers:
o All-in-One Desktop Computers & PCs
<https://www.costco.com/desktops-servers.html?computer-type=all-in-one>

Most of the "all in one" seem to be HP though:
<https://www.bestbuy.com/site/all-desktops/all-in-one-computers/abcat0501005.c>

What the heck is DIFFERENT about a "regular" & an "all in one" desktop?

Paul

Jun 15, 2020, 4:52:43 PM6/15/20
An AIO (desktop computer) has the motherboard in back
of the LCD monitor panel, or it's possible for a "base unit",
a brick, to be located below the monitor, and have some
of the electronics in there. The PSU and disk drive could
go in the base for example.

Some AIO even have an optical drive, and you put the optical
discs in vertically.

It's just a laptop, but without a keyboard. It means
your keyboard is mobile, and the keyboard could be moved
out of the way, leaving the rest of it sitting there static.
Usually a bit heavier than a laptop, so does not
particularly encourage movement. Can also have a larger
screen than a laptop might have (Apple kind of defines the
archetype, and others salt to taste).

If you're lucky, it doesn't use eMMC. Leaving your
disk drive as a maintainable item.

Generally, unless your eyeballs are a limitation, a
laptop is a better usage of money. If you were to
get one with a yard-wide IPS panel, it could easily
cost a couple thousand bucks for no particular reason.
Laptops are pretty limited on screen options.

Paul

Arlen Holder

Jun 15, 2020, 5:23:59 PM6/15/20
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 16:52:44 -0400, Paul wrote:

> It's just a laptop, but without a keyboard.

Ah, thanks for explaining as this was new to me.

(At first, I thought the thread was about an "all in one printer".)

Much appreciated your kind purposefully helpful AI1 clarification.
--
Usenet is a wondrously public polite helpdesk where users share new ideas.

Rene Lamontagne

Jun 15, 2020, 5:27:34 PM6/15/20
I think Acer still had a laptop couple years ago, a 21 inch screen,
weighed about 19 pounds and sold for about $9000.00 usd.

Rene

nospam

Jun 15, 2020, 6:07:59 PM6/15/20
In article <hkq7e4...@mid.individual.net>, Rene Lamontagne
<rla...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I think Acer still had a laptop couple years ago, a 21 inch screen,
> weighed about 19 pounds and sold for about $9000.00 usd.

they did, and may have even called it a laptop, but at ~19 pounds,
horrible battery life and needing *two* power adapters, it was not a
laptop.

it also had a curved display, which means it can't close flat:
<https://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/digitaltrends/acer-predator-21x-c
losed-1500x1000.jpg>

Rene Lamontagne

Jun 15, 2020, 9:22:00 PM6/15/20
Who in hell would want a curved screen on an Overweight so called laptop?

Rene

nospam

Jun 15, 2020, 9:28:52 PM6/15/20
In article <hkql5m...@mid.individual.net>, Rene Lamontagne