HP Laserjet IIP - 79-8508 SERVICE - What does it mean?

Callum Fraser

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
I have a trusty (or at least it used to be) 7 year old LaserJet IIP with
2.5mb of memory. It used to be capable of just about everything but nowadays
it gives up on printing even some fairly basic grahics. It positively hates
spreadsheets with lots of gridlines.

The display gives 21 ERROR and then 79-8508 SERVICE.

I have tried just about everything with various printer setup options, from
conservative to aggressive, etc. The problem seems to have got progressively
worse, especially with Windows 98, it didn't seem quite so bad with 95 and
was OK most of the time with 3.1.

Are there any drivers which can reduce this problem or is the printer
knackered?

BTW, when I switch to Postscript with a JetPage cartridge it works much
better, but rather slowly.

Any ideas?

Bill Hassell

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Callum Fraser (fra...@nationwideisp.net) wrote:
: I have a trusty (or at least it used to be) 7 year old LaserJet IIP with

: 2.5mb of memory. It used to be capable of just about everything but nowadays
: it gives up on printing even some fairly basic grahics. It positively hates
: spreadsheets with lots of gridlines.

Hummm. 7 years in the PC industry is ancient history. The IIP is a good
printer and I use a LaserJet II at home that is absolutely solid. BUT
it will always be slow for graphics (max transfer rate is 25kb to 30Kb
due to the very old design of the interface and formatter electronics.

: The display gives 21 ERROR and then 79-8508 SERVICE.

Error 21: Print Overrun

This means that the data is just too complicated for the print
engine to process. The early LaserJets attempted to start the
paper moving and perform some of the formatting options while
the paper was moving across the drum. While this made the printer
start time shorter, a very complex page sometimes outpaced the
formatter and error 21 is the result.

If there is a Page Protect feature on your menu, turn it on.
This will force the printer to complete most of the imaging
in RAM before starting the paper pull. 2.5mb should be enough
RAM but if you can purchase add'l RAM with a moneyback guarentee
if it doesn't help, try that to see if it helps.

The 79 error may be related to plugin cartridges. Try removing
any Postscript and font cartridges (and reconfigure the driver
if you've listed a font cartridge in the driver setup).

: I have tried just about everything with various printer setup options, from

: conservative to aggressive, etc. The problem seems to have got progressively
: worse, especially with Windows 98, it didn't seem quite so bad with 95 and
: was OK most of the time with 3.1.

Win98? Unless HP has a Win98-specific driver, you've probably hit on
one of the more common problems with bleeding edge releases such as
Win98. Testing is usually limited to products that are less than a
couple of years old and most likely new printer meta-data interfaces

have been created in Win98 that the old IIP driver isn't handling
correctly.

: Are there any drivers which can reduce this problem or is the printer
: knackered?

Printer's fine. It was designed a LONG time before there was anything
like Win95, much less Win98. You might see if a printer-helper such
as Super-Print can help (assuming it exists for Win98). That program
acts as a reformatter to reduce the complexity of print jobs and
compress redundant information.

: BTW, when I switch to Postscript with a JetPage cartridge it works much
: better, but rather slowly.

Of course. Alll plugin cartridges were designed as font generators
and back 7-10 years ago, Postscript was something only Macs and a
few Unix systems used to interface giant 2400 dpi publishing machines.
The cartridges are just plain slow because there is so much data that
must be translated and the plugin slot is not a very fast interface.
If you're getting a page every 2-3 minutes, you're about average.

--

?
/'^'\

Dave Warren

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 13:14:05 -0000, "Callum Fraser" <fra...@nationwideisp.net>
wrote:

>I have a trusty (or at least it used to be) 7 year old LaserJet IIP with
>2.5mb of memory. It used to be capable of just about everything but nowadays
>it gives up on printing even some fairly basic grahics. It positively hates
>spreadsheets with lots of gridlines.
>

>The display gives 21 ERROR and then 79-8508 SERVICE.
>

>I have tried just about everything with various printer setup options, from
>conservative to aggressive, etc. The problem seems to have got progressively
>worse, especially with Windows 98, it didn't seem quite so bad with 95 and
>was OK most of the time with 3.1.
>

>Are there any drivers which can reduce this problem or is the printer
>knackered?
>

>BTW, when I switch to Postscript with a JetPage cartridge it works much
>better, but rather slowly.
>

>Any ideas?

Sounds like it needs service. Best to contact the Discontinued line to find
out: 1-800-999-1148
dwa...@idirect.com ICQ#: 6214593
Fidonet: 1:3618/555

sjr...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <724a7d$1...@hpuerci.atl.hp.com>,

b...@hpuerca.atl.hp.com (Bill Hassell) wrote:

> Printer's fine. It was designed a LONG time before there was anything
> like Win95, much less Win98. You might see if a printer-helper such
> as Super-Print can help (assuming it exists for Win98). That program
> acts as a reformatter to reduce the complexity of print jobs and
> compress redundant information.

Where can I find a copy of Super-Print ? - I use a series II with Win95 and
printing from Excel is extereemly slow (but from Lotus it is stil OK)

Regards

Simon Riggs

KP2 KP2

May 23, 2023, 9:31:28 PM5/23/23