Sharp Announces Windows CE-Based-Handheld PC Line With Color Screen Unit and Digital Camera Capabilities

Aleksandar Jevtic

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

| MAHWAH, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 13, 1997--
|
| High Performance Mobilon(TM) Completes Full Line of Sharp
| PDAs, Organizers and PC Companions

|- Color LCD screen handheld PC
|- Digital camera card option plus audio record gives users
| "multimedia e-mail"
|- Internet Explorer with frames offers true browsing experience
| from your pocket
|- Built-in 33.6 Kbps/9.6 Kbps energy saving data/fax modem

| Sharp Electronics Corporation announces Mobilon(TM), a new line
|of handheld PCs using the Microsoft(R) Windows(R) CE, Version 2.0
|operating system. Sharp's new Mobilon line includes a color screen
|unit, digital camera option, audio record feature, seven "one-touch"
|application keys and other powerful features exclusive to Sharp.
| In addition to the 8MB color centerpiece of the new line
|(HC-4500), the new Mobilon series features two monochrome units with
|16-grayscale LCD (4MB HC-4000 and 8MB HC-4100) and an optional PC
|card digital camera manufactured specifically for the Mobilon series.
|Designed to augment Sharp's existing line of Zaurus(TM) PC
|Companions, the SE-500 Mobile Organizer, and Wizard(R) and YO series
|electronic organizers, the Mobilon will be available in the U.S. in
|the fourth quarter of 1997.
| "Mobilon complements Sharp's comprehensive line of handheld
|computing products and adds to Sharp's claim as the only manufacturer
|to offer a unique handheld product for every user's need," said Ted
|Rozylowicz, vice president of Sharp's Mobile and Home Office
|Equipment Division. "Bringing together the best of Sharp technology
|with the latest Windows CE operating system gives corporations the
|compatibility standard that is integral for information technology
|management," Rozylowicz added.
|
|Multimedia in the Palm of Your Hand
|
| The Sharp Mobilon introduces a number of multimedia tools and
|features that have never been offered in handheld products sold in
|the United States. One of Mobilon's unique features is its optional
|digital camera solution -- the first digital camera manufactured
|specifically for a handheld product sold outside Japan. Sharp's
|digital camera (CE-AG04), designed for Mobilon, advances handheld
|functionality to a new level by enabling users to capture and
|transfer digital images from their handheld devices to and from a PC,
|add voice messages and send as a multimedia e-mail and more.
| With 16.7 million colors, 640 x 480 resolution, 2X optical and 2X
|digital zoom, the digital camera capabilities of Mobilon will become
|an invaluable tool for personal or business use, as well as vertical
|markets such as real estate, manufacturing, security, insurance or
|wherever visual documentation is critical. This digital camera
|capability can be utilized on both color and monochrome Mobilon
|units. Images captured on monochrome units are stored in the same
|color file formats as the color unit.
| In addition to the digital camera, the Sharp Mobilon line
|includes a number of exclusive multimedia features such as:

|- Image Editor - Edit or add to images from the digital camera
| and other sources such as the Internet or create new drawings,
| such as maps.

|- Voice Recorder - Record or playback voice memos. Quickly
| record important ideas or directions without opening and
| turning on the unit, store them for playback or attach them to
| documents.

|- Multimedia e-mail - Create images with the digital camera, add
| voice comments and attach it to an e-mail to give
| communications a multimedia dimension.
|
|Superior Design and Bundled Feature Set
|
| Not only does the Sharp Mobilon incorporate the latest multimedia
|tools, the units also include a host of functional features and
|applications that are indispensable to personal as well as business
|users in today's mobile world.
| Prior to designing the Mobilon line, Sharp conducted research
|about how people use handheld devices and which features users
|require. Comprehensive Sharp research revealed that primary
|requirements are a large, bright LCD, an optimized keyboard and
|easily-accessed applications. As a result, the Mobilon was designed
|specifically to offer the features that users request for both
|business and personal use and offers distinct design features not
|found on other Windows CE devices, including:

|- A large clear LCD 640 x 240 pixel touch screen with adjustable
| backlight VGA screen, 6.5" (diagonal measure) high-contrast LCD and
| keyboard-controlled contrast, (HC-4500 256 colors; models HC-4000,
| HC-4100 monochrome with 16 shades of gray).

|- Seven one-touch "short cut" or direct access applications keys
| that allow users one-touch access to all major applications in the
| unit.

|- A comfortably-spaced, optimized large keyboard for easier data
| input.

|- A built-in 33.6/9.6 Kbps energy-saving data/fax modem on every
| unit in the line to keep in constant contact using both e-mail and
| fax.

|- An IrDA infrared port to enable simple, wireless exchange of
| information from a Zaurus or notebook to a Mobilon.
|
|Productivity, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, E-Mail, the Web -- Even
|Presentations
|
| The Mobilon line delivers a comprehensive, fully-featured array
|of applications, including the ability to make multimedia
|presentations. Microsoft(R) Pocket PowerPoint(R), which is featured
|in the Mobilon units' Microsoft Windows CE operating system, allows
|users to create desktop presentations and transfer them to the
|Mobilon for on-the-go presentations, or to connect to an LCD
|projector with a VGA card for easy presentation on a larger screen.
| In addition, the Mobilon series includes bundled bFax(TM) Express
|software for sending faxes, which is a cost-effective alternative to
|a notebook or using a third-party faxing service. Current Zaurus and
|Wizard users can take advantage of the included IntelliMigrate(TM)
|software to transfer data to and from a Wizard or Zaurus unit. Other
|high-performance features include:

|- Inbox - E-mail with attachment support, group scheduling support
| and calendar integration, desktop connectivity, data exchange with
| Outlook(TM) and Exchange.

|- Microsoft(R) Pocket Outlook(TM) - Productivity features including
| contact management, calendars and task with additional data views
| and filtering.

|- Microsoft(R) Pocket Word(R) - Word processing with paragraph
| formatting, customizable tab settings numbering and more.

|- Microsoft(R) Pocket Excel(R) - Spreadsheet creating, viewing with
| sorting and auto filtering.

|- Microsoft(R) Pocket Internet Explorer(R) - Explore the Web from
| the palm of your hand.
|
|Service and Support
|
| Mobilon is backed by a one-year parts and labor limited warranty.
|In addition, Sharp phone support is available 24 hours a day, seven
|days per week (including holidays) via 1-800-237-4277
|(1-800-BE-SHARP).
| The Mobilon HC-4000, HC-4100 and HC-4500 will be available
|nationwide through retail chains, Sharp's Corporate Sales Group, and
|indirect sales channels, including VARs at recommended retail prices
|ranging from $600 to $900. The digital camera will have a
|recommended retail price of under $400. The Docking Station Kit will
|be available for under $150, and the rechargeable battery pack will
|sell for approximately $60.
| For more information on Sharp's full line of Wizard and Zaurus PC
|Companions and accessories, contact Sharp Electronics Corporation,
|Mobile Home Office Equipment Division, Sharp Plaza, Mahwah, N.J.
|07430 or call 1-800-BE-SHARP. For on-line product information, visit
|Sharp's Web Site at http://www.sharp-usa.com.
|
| Sharp Electronics Corporation is the U.S. sales and marketing
|subsidiary of Japan's Sharp Corporation, a worldwide developer of the
|core digital technologies that are playing an integral role in the
|emerging era of multimedia. A leader in liquid crystal display
|(LCD), optoelectronics, infrared and semiconductors, Sharp offers one
|of the broadest and most advanced lines of consumer electronics,
|business products and electronic components.
| It has developed innovative, consumer-focused products such as
|the VIEWCAM LCD camcorder, the Zaurus PC Companion and multimedia
|notebook computers. To support its more than 50 product lines, Sharp
|Electronics employs approximately 3,100 people nationwide.

Frankie Teo

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

What is REALLY interesting about this Sharp 4500 HPC is that the CPU used is
the MIPS PR39xx like the one used in the Velo but running at twice the speed
(76Mhz). The color bit is nice but only 256 colours as opposed to 64K
colours!.
Well, I guess many will wait for the next one after this!.

Let's hope Sharp knows how to built quality machines unlike Philips.