VAX 11/780 system for sale

Bill Jensen

Jun 8, 1993, 5:33:39 PM6/8/93

We are finally retiring our old VAX 11/780. ( Now don't laugh! )
It's configuration is as follows:

VAX 11/780 CPU
DW780 Unibus Adapter
MS780 Memory Controller
RH780 Massbus Adapter
memory - 8 MB ( 4 boards - non DEC )
LA120 console
TU77 Tape Drive
Systems Industries 9900 Disk Controller
9722 160MB Disk ( Fujitsu M2322 )
9751 470MB Disk ( Fujitsu 2351 )
6000-7028 Power controller
CDC 9766 300MB disk system
UNIBUS Devices
1 M8716 DR11W DMA
4 M7819 DZ11
2 EULEX C521/Z DZ11 compatible
1 M7258 LP11 interface

If you have a serious interest in this hardware, or know someone who
would, please contact Brian Gunn at (301) 317-7309.

Bill Jensen Cray Communications, Inc.
Principal Engineer Engineering Dept.
(301)-317-7553 9020 Junction Drive
mimsy!casemo!bill Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

Charlie Byrne

Jun 9, 1993, 6:48:18 AM6/9/93
In article <4...@casemo.UUCP>, bi...@casemo.UUCP (Bill Jensen) writes:
> We are finally retiring our old VAX 11/780.
> It's configuration is as follows:
> VAX 11/780 CPU
> DW780 Unibus Adapter
> MS780 Memory Controller
> RH780 Massbus Adapter
(etc etc)

> If you have a serious interest in this hardware, or know someone who
> would, please contact Brian Gunn at (301) 317-7309.

Every July 4th, the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo, Inc. in Broward County,
Florida sinks a huge boat as part of their artificial reef program. They
can be reached via (305) 555-1212.

Charlie Byrne * University of Miami * Div of Marine Biology and Fisheries
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149 * Voice: (305) 361-4705
Usual disclamers apply.

Tom Testagrossa

Jun 10, 1993, 9:47:15 AM6/10/93

Well, as one who worked on lots of older equipment for a long time
I know that that's not a viable alternative...most of them aren't
even good boat anchors...they might float intermittently!
Many ;^)

* Tom Testagrossa - E-MAIL: tte...@kali.enet.dec.com *
* US-mail: 132 Clarendon St Apt #2 *
* Fitchburg, Ma 01420 U.S.A. *
* Phone: Work (508)493-0437 (Voicemail)*
* Home (508)342-2362 *
* Ask me about my guitars... *

Bill Gunshannon

Jun 11, 1993, 10:41:12 AM6/11/93
If the general concensus is that the VAX processor is obsolete, is there anyone
out there with a couple of VAX processor boards and VAX memory boards (Qbus or
UNIBUS) that they plan on throwing out?? I would love to get my hands on some.
I have the boxes, and would love to start converting my PDP's into VAXEN.

bill

--
Bill Gunshannon | "There are no evil thoughts, Mr. Reardon" Francisco
bi...@cs.uofs.edu | said softly, "except one; the refusal to think."

Mark Bartelt

Jun 15, 1993, 2:36:30 PM6/15/93
[ Bill Jensen ]

| If you have a serious interest in this hardware, or know someone who
| would, please contact Brian Gunn at (301) 317-7309.

[ Charlie Byrne ]

| Every July 4th, the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo, Inc. in Broward County,
| Florida sinks a huge boat as part of their artificial reef program. They
| can be reached via (305) 555-1212.

[ Tom Testagrossa ]

| Well, as one who worked on lots of older equipment for a long time
| I know that that's not a viable alternative...most of them aren't
| even good boat anchors...they might float intermittently!

Wouldn't the likelihood of that depend on whether the system came equipped
with the optional FPA?

Mark Bartelt 416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for ma...@cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics ma...@cita.utoronto.ca

"Clothes not busy being worn are busy drying." - Dylan, on laundry day
[ singing "It's all right, ma (I'm only bleaching)" ]

Maggie Ambrose

May 6, 2021, 1:52:17 PM5/6/21
Hello! I am looking for a functioning or non-functioning VAX 11/780. I would be most grateful if anyone could reach out with information on where to find one!

Very best,

Rich Alderson

May 6, 2021, 6:22:37 PM5/6/21
Maggie Ambrose <maggie....@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, June 15, 1993 at 2:36:30 PM UTC-4, Mark Bartelt wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maggie,

Do you realize that you responded to a post which is almost 30 years old?
--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

Scott Dorsey

May 6, 2021, 6:52:28 PM5/6/21
Rich Alderson <ne...@alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>Maggie Ambrose <maggie....@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Tuesday, June 15, 1993 at 2:36:30 PM UTC-4, Mark Bartelt wrote:
>
>Maggie,
>
>Do you realize that you responded to a post which is almost 30 years old?

Thirty years ago I could have given you an 11/780. It has since gone to
the recyclers.
--scott

Louis Williams

Jan 26, 2022, 12:13:03 AM1/26/22
Of course he knows he's responding to a post over thirty years old.; so am I. I had a DEC VAX 11/780 I acquired as a hobbyist, and now in retirement decades later, I would give my eye-teeth to get one now. I picked that old machine up thirty-plus years ago (longer maybe) and wish I would have kept it back in the barn to play with. I didn't know what to do with it then, and now, after decades of programing, I would love to. Yeah, it weights a ton, consumes a lot of juice, but hey, stuff is so crazy now it would be a ton of fun to play with those 200lb 20Mb drives, multiple terminals and console. I was new then, after my VIC and Tandy I picked up a couple of IBM PCs and foolishly used the VAX console to stick my new PCs on. Now my systems and servers are absolutely crazy, but I would sure like to peek and poke a bit on these older systems. Who remembers pre-PC PASCAL? Anybody got one rotting in their barn?