System doesn't display anything on the Console port.

Ed Rahn

Feb 23, 2021, 7:03:42 PM2/23/21
I just bought a Microvax 3100-10 and I don't seem to get anything
out of the console ports. I've got a USB to NULL to H8571J to MMJ
daisy chain. Should that be whats needed? I get the same thing if I
remove the NULL conversion.

All the LED's are light after power and seem to turn off then at
some point in the future.

Any ideas what could be going on? According to the documentation
nothing is being executed. That doesn't really help much.

Thanks,
Ed

Scott Dorsey

Feb 23, 2021, 7:49:44 PM2/23/21
Ed Rahn <edra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I just bought a Microvax 3100-10 and I don't seem to get anything
>out of the console ports. I've got a USB to NULL to H8571J to MMJ
>daisy chain. Should that be whats needed? I get the same thing if I
>remove the NULL conversion.

8N1, 9600 or 19200 bps?

Get yourself a breakout box and look at the lights. And don't ever trust
those crapola USB to RS-232 adaptors.
--scott

Andy Valencia

Feb 24, 2021, 9:28:39 AM2/24/21
klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> Get yourself a breakout box and look at the lights. And don't ever trust
> those crapola USB to RS-232 adaptors.

Pay attention to which _kind_ of "RS-232". There's classic (up to +/- 25v,
if memory serves), and 5v and 3.3v TTL style "RS-232". It doesn't help that
most cheap-o manufacturers (even if they build something which works at all)
do not bother to label it.

Andy Valencia
Home page: https://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: https://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html