Is there a way to remove noxious posts ?

Jay Cotton

Mar 8, 2022, 12:54:07 PMMar 8
Like the one from feb 11

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 8, 2022, 1:07:07 PMMar 8
On 3/8/22 12:54, Jay Cotton wrote:
> Like the one from feb 11

Find a better news feed. Whatever you didn't like on Feb 11
I didn't even see and wouldn't even know about if you didn't
complain.

bill

Jay Cotton

Mar 8, 2022, 5:58:09 PMMar 8
Hi Bill:

I am getting my access via google groups. Is that how you reach this list ?

tnx
jc

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 8, 2022, 6:27:56 PMMar 8
Google Groups has got to be the worst way to do USENET. Probably the
biggest contributor to the impending death of USENET. :-(

I use news.individual.net. Costs a whopping 10 Euros a year for
a very clean and usable feed without most of the cruft. Easily
read with Thunderbird on Linux or Windows. I have also used
Knews in the past.

bill

Scott Dorsey

Mar 8, 2022, 6:36:24 PMMar 8
Jay Cotton <lbmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 10:07:07 AM UTC-8, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> On 3/8/22 12:54, Jay Cotton wrote:
>> > Like the one from feb 11
>> Find a better news feed. Whatever you didn't like on Feb 11
>> I didn't even see and wouldn't even know about if you didn't
>> complain.
>
>I am getting my access via google groups. Is that how you reach this list ?

This is not a list, this is a Usenet Newsgroup.

Google Groups is a cheesy and incompetently-managed interface to Usenet.
It is run without any intervention, so it has attracted a large number of
spammers. Pretty much all the spam on Usenet originates from Google, and
most sites downstream from Google filter it out. Many sites just dump all
traffic from Google completely because the ratio of legitimate postings to
trash is so high.

Get yourself an account on a normal Usenet server and get a newsreader
to read it with. If your ISP does not have Usenet service, as many no
longer do, there are third-party providers like eternal-september which
are competently run and don't allow spammers to abuse their service
the way Google does. Many of them (including eternal-september) offer
a web service as well as normal NNTP service for newsreaders, if you
prefer that.

There is nobody at the helm of Google Groups, so there is nobody to complain
to about the spam. Letters to Sundar Pichai go unanswered. I doubt he even
knows Usenet exists. All anyone can do is just block postings from Google
users.
--scott

Hans Bachner

Mar 11, 2022, 5:48:06 AMMar 11
Bill Gunshannon schrieb am 09.03.2022 um 00:27:
> On 3/8/22 17:58, Jay Cotton wrote:
>>> Find a better news feed. Whatever you didn't like on Feb 11
>>> I didn't even see and wouldn't even know about if you didn't
>>> complain.
>>>

>>> bill
>> [...]
>
> Google Groups has got to be the worst way to do USENET.  Probably the
> biggest contributor to the impending death of USENET.  :-(
>
> I use news.individual.net.  Costs a whopping 10 Euros a year for
> a very clean and usable feed without most of the cruft.  Easily
> read with Thunderbird on Linux or Windows.  I have also used
> Knews in the past.

I also use news.individual.net and *do* see the post Jay is complaining
about. I also use Thunderbird as a reader.

Hans.