DEC QBUS Connectors available?

Holm Tiffe

Mar 7, 2011, 2:53:43 AM3/7/11
HI,
does someone know how the the connectors that DEC used for the backplanes
are called and if they are still available from somewhere?
I want to build an slot extender card for the QBUS myself and need 4 of them..

Regards,

Holm

jjh

Mar 7, 2011, 9:48:56 AM3/7/11

I am not exactly sure which ones you are referring to. The power
connectors are mfg by Molex, and I believe they are still available.
(perhaps not the exact same form factor, but something close)

Perhaps you are referring to a rare device, the Q-bus slot extender.

At its simplest, the slot extender is quad-sized module with a Q-bus
slot on one end and Q-bus fingers on the other, and a set of traces
that link the fingers to the slots. When inserted into the backplane,
it allows a Q-bus card to be mounted above the plane of the other
modules. This slot extender can be very useful if you're building or
debugging a Q-bus module, assuming the timing and signaling changes
caused by the extender don't preclude its use.
Unfortunately I have no idea what the part number is. I've only seen
one a few times, never used it.

This slot extender is not to be confused with the M9400-series and
M9401-series bus extender. The bus extender can allow two Q-bus
backplanes to be joined, such as the two connected BA23 boxes
configured in the so-called Q5 series MicroVAX configurations.

Here are some possible modules you may be referring to:
M9400-YE: Headers and 250-ohm terminators can be used with M9401 as a
Q-bus extender
M9400-YF: M9400-YA with boot sockets with no ROMs
M9400-YH: LDP/COMM boot & floppy boot with terminators
M9400-YJ DMA refresh bootstrap, cable connector, 250-ohm
M9400-YK: M9400-YH with no terminators
M9400-YL: M9400-YH with cable connectors
M9400-YM: Refresh with DECnet bootstrap

If you are referring to the blue connectors on these boards, they are
mfg by Berg. I don't recall the part numbers as it has been too long
ago. I believe they are still manufactured. A second source is T&B
(Thomas & Betts) or T&B Ansley.
Here is a picture of a M9400-YE:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Equipment-DEC-M9400-YE-LSI-Ref-Boot-Conn-/310289474967

Hope that helps
John

Peter Greuter

Mar 7, 2011, 10:35:18 AM3/7/11
Hello,

Le Mon, 7 Mar 2011 07:53:43 +0000 (UTC), ho...@freibergnet.de (Holm
Tiffe) a écrit :

if you are looking for the green connectors shown on the third picture
in

http://www.sopege.fr/sate.html

I can send you 4 pieces gegen Postgebühr France-Germany.

They are manufactured by EDAC reference 346-036-520-201 and I got them
from Sayal in Toronto.

If somebody needs a complete backplane with 8 slots 70-19986-00
contact me !

Peter Greuter

Holm Tiffe

Mar 7, 2011, 11:16:00 AM3/7/11
In article <kut9n69ihdng5h7vr...@4ax.com>,

Oh yes Peter, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I've found in the meantime EDAC 346 Seriex connectors at mouser.com but they
are all to long (40, 54, 100 pins).

Do you have a paypal account? Or would you get the shipping costs with
a std. EU Bank Transfer?
Wat do you want for the backplane?

Kind reagrds,
Holm

Holm Tiffe

Mar 7, 2011, 11:18:39 AM3/7/11
In article <e7be928d-10dc-40bb...@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com>,

Hi John,
I've simply want to repair some old Cards, in the moment I have a
defective DEQNA here, so I need some kind of slot extender to get out of
the card cage to do some measurements...

Kind Regards,

Holm

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 7, 2011, 11:43:16 AM3/7/11
In article <il30gv$1uve$2...@news.freibergnet.de>,

Just a heads up!! I have seen comments in some of my mainenance docs
about certain cards that can not be run on an extender. Some of the
stuff in the 11/44 comes immediately to mind.

bill

bill...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Holm Tiffe

Mar 7, 2011, 12:42:21 PM3/7/11
In article <8tkg94...@mid.individual.net>,
Hmm, an 11/44 is a UNIBUS machine?
May that some cards have problems with inductances and capacitances between
the Extender card traces, don't think that this is the case here.
I only have an 11/23 ans a 11/53 CPU and 2 QBUS backplanes zo play with.

Lets see, I'll check this, it's better as not to try it at all.
My biggest Problem is that there are no schmatics available for the DEQNA,
most of the logic is in some binary programmable logic sequencers and PALs,
there is almost nothing repariable..

Regards,

Holm

jjh

Mar 7, 2011, 1:01:09 PM3/7/11
On Mar 7, 11:18 am, h...@unicorn.tsht.lan (Holm Tiffe) wrote:
> In article <e7be928d-10dc-40bb-8a0b-53a50cba6...@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com>,
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Equipment-DEC-M9400-YE-LSI-Ref-Boot-Conn-...

> > Hope that helps
> > John
>
> Hi John,
> I've simply want to repair some old Cards, in the moment I have a
> defective DEQNA here, so I need some kind of slot extender to get out of
> the card cage to do some measurements...
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Holm

Oh, I understand...you wanted a card extender....Yes, those connectors
are made by EDAC.
I have a few extender cards that I use with my HP logic analyzer on my
unibus and qbus system...I'll look and
see if I can find the p/n.

John

ajbutl...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2020, 10:33:29 PM7/8/20
If anyone is still looking....I am currently selling such items on ebay - search for the items, or TutusStuff to find them! Thanks

Rich Alderson

Jul 13, 2020, 4:20:07 PM7/13/20
You're responding to post from NINE YEARS AGO.

--
Rich Alderson ne...@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

Chris Hanson

Nov 26, 2020, 5:37:18 PM11/26/20
And four months later I’m about to email them and ask whether they have any backplanes for a reasonable price, and also saw they have a couple other items on eBay. :)

Paul

Nov 27, 2020, 11:07:59 AM11/27/20
On Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 4:37:18 PM UTC-6, Chris Hanson wrote:
> And four months later I’m about to email them and ask whether they have any backplanes for a reasonable price, and also saw they have a couple other items on eBay. :)

What type of backplanes do you need?

Paul

Paul

Nov 28, 2020, 3:15:47 AM11/28/20

Richard

Dec 1, 2020, 1:05:31 PM12/1/20

Paul <use...@gmail.com> spake the secret code
<5d24109b-e0ed-48b7...@googlegroups.com> thusly:

>What type of backplanes do you need?

Ones that can be purchased and delivered.

Sorry to bust on you, but you always say that you "have what I'm
looking for" and then you never come through on producing the goods.
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

Paul

Dec 2, 2020, 3:23:14 AM12/2/20
I have several BA11-N, BA11-S, and BA23 boxes, some loose backplanes,
and several hundred Q-bus boards I would like to sell. I have had a lot of health
problems over the last few years. I cannot predict when or for how long I'll be out .

Paul

three_jeeps

Dec 3, 2020, 11:25:26 AM12/3/20
Hi Paul:
I am interested in getting a BA23 enclosure. Please drop me a note: jhudak at gmail
thank you
John

Paul

Dec 7, 2020, 3:00:10 AM12/7/20
Hi John,

Did you get my email?

Paul

Three Jeeps

Dec 7, 2020, 10:11:32 PM12/7/20
Hi Paul: I 'fat fingered' my email address on my phone, the correct address is jjhudak at gmail..........apologies
John