VAX/Smalltalk-80?

commodorejohn

Apr 1, 2020, 7:08:47 PM4/1/20
Just in the middle of getting a fresh OpenVMS install set up on my VAXStation (the original having been done years ago when I barely had any idea what I was doing,) and looking through various repositories for interesting software to put on there, and I got to thinking about something I recalled reading about a few years back.

I know from the book "Smalltalk-80: Bits of History, Words of Advice" - http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/BitsOfHistory/BitsOfHistory.pdf - that, back when, there were two implementations of Smalltalk-80 for VAXen - the first was Unix-based, done by an independent research group, while the second ran under VMS and was actually developed within DEC. This version - VAX/Smalltalk-80 - was headed up by Stoney Ballard and Stephen Shirron; anybody know if there's a surviving copy out there, if it was ever available outside DEC to begin with?

Stephen Hoffman

Apr 15, 2020, 12:52:22 PM4/15/20

https://www.wickensonline.co.uk/rc2012sc/2020/04/12/smalltalk-80-on-vax-vms/

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

commodorejohn

Apr 15, 2020, 9:25:04 PM4/15/20
Ah, very interesting! Nice to see that someone was able to get it up and running...