Turbo C on Rainbow?

Warner Losh

Oct 30, 1990, 4:31:54 PM10/30/90
In article <47...@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CC...@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Paul Nankervis) writes:
>I was looking at obtaining Turbo C and remembered that there was some
>discussion in this newsgroup about a special patch to make it work on a
>Rainbow. I apologise for repeating this discussion but I wonder if anyone
>could send me the details.

I have just uploaded a program called RABIT to drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu.
It is in [.info-dec-micro.uploads]rabit02.zip.

What it is:
RABIT is a TSR that is designed to trap the bad interrupts
that PC compilers generate on the Rainbow, enabling programs
like Turbo C++ to run the Rainbow w/o code blue (command line
version only).

Known problem:
RABIT does not get along with Code Blue. If you run code blue
with RABIT installed, your rainbow will crash. I'm working on
a command line version of RABIT that will get around this
problem, but I have not completed it yet.

Many thanks to my beta testors for this. An extra special thanks to
Jim O'Brian.

Warner
--
Warner Losh i...@Solbourne.COM
How does someone declare moral bankruptcy?

Richard Link

Oct 30, 1990, 11:53:37 PM10/30/90
In article <1990Oct30.2...@Solbourne.COM> i...@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) writes:

>Warner
>--
>Warner Losh i...@Solbourne.COM
>How does someone declare moral bankruptcy?

Ask Ken Olsen. (-|

...Rick

George A. Theall

Oct 31, 1990, 8:08:00 AM10/31/90
>I was looking at obtaining Turbo C and remembered that there was some
>discussion in this newsgroup about a special patch to make it work on a
>Rainbow. I apologise for repeating this discussion but I wonder if anyone
>could send me the details.

[I missed this article the first time around. Thanks for bringing
it to my attention, Warner.]

There are two approaches the poster could take. First, there's
Warner's RABIT program to insulate the Rainbow from Turbo C (or C++)
and its afinity for INT 18h. His is a neat approach, will work with
any version, but does require you to run RABIT beforehand. Second,
there are a variety of patches available for Turbo C (but not for
TC++, as far as I know) which force TCC.EXE to explicitly use
something other than INT 18h. Essentially, you change a few bytes
in TCC.EXE once and forget about it. If you upgrade to a different
version you must apply a different set of patches (if they exist),
but at least you don't have to worry about loading another program.

You can find both Warner's RABIT and a patch set I developed
for Turbo C v2.0 in the INFO-DEC-MICRO file archives. For the
latter, look at TC2PATRB.ZIP in directory INFO-DEC-MICRO.PROG
on DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU. [Patches for earlier versions of TC
were described in an article in _Rainbow News_, but I don't know
which issue.]

George
---
BITNET: GTHEALL@PennDRLS Dept. of Economics
Internet: GTH...@PennDRLS.UPenn.Edu University of Pennsylvania
AT+TNet: +1 215 898 3419 Philadelphia, PA 19104-3987