CDC 160-A CE

Billy Pettit

Apr 2, 2005, 3:19:08 AM4/2/05
I just discovered this list and wonder if there are any old field engineers
who worked on the 160-A?

I am restoring one. It seems to be in pretty good shape, but I may need a
core memory. Anybody know where some spare parts are or any systems that
may be available?

I'm pretty good on manuals and software - I was in Customer Engineering
from 1963 to 1972, in Mpls, Atlanta, Huntsville, Houston, The Hague, London,
Detroit. Then I joined the Cyber 170 development team at Mississauga,
Ontario.

Kept all my old 160/809X manuals complete with my notes. Even have the
paper tapes for most of the software, and the software listings and
maintenance manuals. What I'm short on is spares.

Does anyone know if any scrap/surplus stores in Minneapolis have old CDC
parts laying around? Used to be everywhere.

Billy Pettit

Douglas A. Gwyn

Apr 4, 2005, 2:47:07 PM4/4/05
Billy Pettit wrote:
> I am restoring one. It seems to be in pretty good shape, but I may need a
> core memory. Anybody know where some spare parts are or any systems that
> may be available?

Old CDC parts are very scarce. I have a CDC-1704 4Kx18 core module
but I don't think it would work in a CDC-160.

> I'm pretty good on manuals and software - I was in Customer Engineering
> from 1963 to 1972, in Mpls, Atlanta, Huntsville, Houston, The Hague, London,
> Detroit. Then I joined the Cyber 170 development team at Mississauga,
> Ontario.

I am desperate for *any* CDC 1700/System 17 system software on *any*
medium, be it magtape, paper tape, or hardcopy or microfiche listings.
I would like to complete an implementation of the CDC 1700 under SIMH,
but lack of software has served as a disincentive.

Good luck with the restoration!

Billy Pettit

Apr 7, 2005, 9:56:49 PM4/7/05

"Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAG...@null.net> wrote in message

snip

> Old CDC parts are very scarce. I have a CDC-1704 4Kx18 core module
> but I don't think it would work in a CDC-160.

No, that is a later design and I can't use it. But thanks for the offer.

I may be in good shape - so far, Bank 0 is running good on small programs.
I'm going to try and test Bank 1 this weekend.

> I am desperate for *any* CDC 1700/System 17 system software on *any*
> medium, be it magtape, paper tape, or hardcopy or microfiche listings.
> I would like to complete an implementation of the CDC 1700 under SIMH,
> but lack of software has served as a disincentive.

I'm sorry but I don't think I have any 1700 software. I tossed just about
everything in the last big move; except for my schemantics with my class
notes and some of the hardware reference manuals. I'll be going through the
garage this summer. If I find anything, it's yours.

Billy Pettit

Douglas A. Gwyn

Apr 8, 2005, 4:44:58 PM4/8/05
Billy Pettit wrote:
> I may be in good shape - so far, Bank 0 is running good on small programs.
> I'm going to try and test Bank 1 this weekend.

That is good news indeed! Back when I had a real CDC 1700
we started with 4 4KW core modules, enough for what must
have been the "Utility" operating system, one of the 4K
modules later malfunctioned, still leaving enough to
support Fortran (4-pass with intermediate paper tapes!),
and eventually another 4K module became too flaky, at
which point I disassembled the two bad modules and combined
good parts to build one working module to get us back up to
the 12K needed for Fortran. That was an awful lot of
soldering!

jack.ru...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2019, 10:45:05 PM6/16/19
Hi Billy - is this a working email address? Curious about your 160A.
Thanks,
Jack Rubin

Richard

Jun 19, 2019, 1:18:09 PM6/19/19

jack.ru...@gmail.com spake the secret code
<5a785068-75b1-456a...@googlegroups.com> thusly:
You do realize you're responding to a post that's almost 15 years old,
right?
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>

Daiyu Hurst

Sep 14, 2019, 2:02:55 PM9/14/19
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 10:45:05 PM UTC-4, jack.r...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 2, 2005 at 2:19:08 AM UTC-6, Billy Pettit wrote:
>
> Hi Billy - is this a working email address? Curious about your 160A.

Hi Jack,

There is an operational 160A at Living Computers Museum+Labs in Seattle.

-Daiyu Hurst