Would somebody with the latest number of Transactor
please post any or all of the following:
the town to which they moved in the last few months,
their street address for subscription matters (ie complaints),
any current phone number that might lead however indirectly
to the subscription (mis)handling department.
Oral History Department:
(Read only if you chronically masochistic)
2 months back I received a phone call from someone at their new
location. He said they had moved and he was cleaning up messages left
at their old number during the move. (This number now disconnected)
Halfway through a conversation that held promise for resolving my
problems, we had one of our frequent power failures, the phone system
panicked and flushed the call, and I was left with no way to call
back. That seemed OK since he had promised that 3.1 (?) was going out
the door RSN, and my specific back issue complaint (caused by my never
receiving a renewal notice, coupled with their sporadic publishing
schedule) would be addressed.
Of course that was the end of it ....
--
-Frank Cunningham smart: f...@lexicon.com phone: (617) 891-6790
dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc
snail: Lexicon Inc. 100 Beaver St. Waltham MA 02174
Real Recording Engineers mix direct to stereo.
Well, I stayed out of this discussion until now, but this posting
prompted me to check the Transactor I picked up in WaldenBooks while
christmas shopping. I'd been assuming you all were talking about
the _next_ issue, you see, but, upon examining the cover, darned
if it wasn't Volume 3, issue 1, the ?october?'89? issue.
Anyway, The box on the table of contents page lists:
office number (416) 764-5273
fax number (416) 764-9262
Order line (800) 248-2719 x 911
Editorial/subscription address is
TransAmi {Subscriptions|Editorial Dept.}
10-85 West Wilmot Street
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada, L4B 1K7
Checking the postcard thingie in the center of the magazine, I
see the additional phone # of (416) 764-5274 and the address
Transactor
501 Alden Road
P.O. box 3250
markham Industrial Park
Markham, Ontario
L3R 9Z9
(This is where your subscription/fish disk/Transactor disk order
would go if you folded it for the canadian address instead of
the US address. The US address is
Transactor
P.O. box 338 Station C
Buffalo, NY 14209-9990)
Spot comparisons with the previous issue (V 2.6) and last january's
(V 1.4) show the exact same info; in other words, this is probably
old data.
Since I seem to have the only Transactor 3.1 on all of Usenet, I may
as well add that the letters column includes a large letter with
photos describing the 'snapping' monitor problem and how to really,
truly fix it...If anyone is going to die without this info, let me
know.
Kenneth Herron
> fax number (416) 764-9262
I don't do faxes.
> Order line (800) 248-2719 x 911
This answering service no longer handles Transactor, and could not
give me their phone number since it was no longer in service. hmmm!
> see the additional phone # of (416) 764-5274
also "not in service"
and the address
> Transactor 501 Alden Road P.O. box 3250 markham Industrial Park
> Markham, Ontario L3R 9Z9
asking directory assistance for a phone for this address produces the
response that they've moved to Yonge St, in Thorn Hill,
and the 764-5273 number.
I believe Yonge St is a main drag in Toronto, and Thorn Hill is thus
a district, town, or suburb ?
So they moved and kept (temporarily) the old number.
You may draw your own conclusions.
I just dialed it - no longer in service, although directory assistance told
me that that was the number for Transactor Publishing.
>I believe Yonge St is a main drag in Toronto, and Thorn Hill is thus
>a district, town, or suburb ?
Correct about Yonge Street - the longest street in the world (according to
Guiness). Thornhill is a community just north of the city.
>So they moved and kept (temporarily) the old number.
>
>You may draw your own conclusions.
Sure looks like they've gone down the tubes. <sigh>
--------------------------------- Cut here -----------------------------------
Article 608 of comp.sys.cbm:
Xref: ccu comp.sys.amiga:6647 comp.sys.amiga.tech:2049 comp.sys.cbm:608
Path: ccu!calgary!alberta!ubc-cs!uw-beaver!rice!cs.utexas.edu!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!utzoo!censor!becker!cbmtor!timg
From: ti...@cbmtor.UUCP (Tim Grantham )
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga,comp.sys.amiga.tech,comp.sys.cbm
Subject: TransAmi
Message-ID: <1...@cbmtor.UUCP>
Date: 24 Nov 89 05:37:49 GMT
Organization: Amiga Unix from Commodore (CANADA)
Lines: 41
For those of you who have been wondering, Transactor for the Amiga has not gone
out of business. After an interminable delay caused by moving offices, a
corrupt subscriber database and staff downsizing, V3I1 was printed and sent
to distributors. However, it has not yet been sent to subscribers because of
said f****d database. Malcolm O'Brien has spent the last two weeks repairing
the database and we seem to have recovered everybody. We should be able to
generate the mailing labels tomorrow or Monday.
We are also (slowly) putting V3I2 together -- it's due to go to the printers
at the end of the first week of December. We will also be at the World of
Commodore show.
The downsizing of the staff left the editorial team intact. However, in
addition to trying to get a quality magazine out, us editors are now having
to take orders, talk to advertisers, issue reader response reports, et cetera,
ad nauseum. We're not happy campers.
Right now, we're concentrating on getting the Amiga mag out; the 8-bit mag
is temporarily on hold while we try to get our sh*t together. Those of you
who wish to reach us can mail to the old address or call (416) 764-5274 (this
number connects to an answering service). We're slowly getting through a very
large stack of messages and we'll do our best to return all calls.
All of our readers have been incredibly patient and we're grateful. You have
put up with a lot of inconvenience for the sake of the editorial quality of the
magazine. We editors too have put up with a lot of crap because we love our
Amigas and we love writing/editing about it. I however, have had enough. I will
only be staying with the mag long enough to get it back on its feet -- then
I'll be going freelance. The present publisher and I have had too many fights
about policy, too many differences we haven't been able to resolve (the slow-
ness of author payments was a biggie.)
In the meantime, I hope you will continue to support the magazine. I think you
will agree that, from a content point of view, we've done well. Malcolm and
Paul, the other two editors, will be staying with the mag.
As for me... anybody looking for a good technical writer/editor/typesetter? :)
Tim Grantham
Editor (for now)
Transactor for the Amiga
--------------------------------- Cut here -----------------------------------
--
>>> Dan Fandrich
CdnNet: sha...@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Compu$erve: 72365,306
Can a 2400 baud modem be used with a C64? (would it be any faster than a 1200?)
And which types of modems (ie. which protocalls) can be used with a C64?
Thanks
-Chris Joerg
c...@jj.lcs.mit.edu
*******************************************************************************
* Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys (xcb...@ucrmath.ucr.edu) *
*USNail: 100 Aberdeen Drive Box #737 *
* Riverside,CA 92507 *
*******************************************************************************
* "The only good Assassin/Paladin is a dead one!" --Me *
*******************************************************************************