End of an Era

Eric Hill

Dec 16, 2023, 4:41:47 PM12/16/23
At the top of the screen for Google Groups:

"Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."

How are all of you planning (or currently) accessing this group's posts and content outside of Google Groups?

Captain Nemo

Dec 16, 2023, 5:42:33 PM12/16/23
I mostly get this stuff either through a connected BBS or through
Giganews.

So Google dropping Usenet posting won't impact me one bit.

Anssi Saari

Dec 17, 2023, 5:31:37 AM12/17/23
Eric Hill <er...@sporcle.com> writes:

> How are all of you planning (or currently) accessing this group's posts and content outside of Google Groups?

I've been using Eternal September's Usenet service for about a decade
now.

I guess Google's change means I can clean up the recently added scoring
rules for Google Groups posters.

DrSkinner

Dec 18, 2023, 12:04:46 AM12/18/23
On 2023-12-17 05:31, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Eric Hill <er...@sporcle.com> writes:
>
>> How are all of you planning (or currently) accessing this group's posts and content outside of Google Groups?
>
> I've been using Eternal September's Usenet service for about a decade
> now.

Thanks for the recommendation. I registered on Eternal September and
pointed Thunderbird at it.

There are much better newsfroup clients, but they require payment...I
have no problem paying for software but the 2-3 messages a month that
still trickle in from comp.sys.cbm aren't worth the expense. :)

ms

Nigel Reed

Dec 18, 2023, 1:26:39 AM12/18/23
You'd be surprised how many it does, mainly news admins who have to go
cleaning up their mess. It's going to affect legitimate users,
unfortuantely.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Kalevi Kolttonen

Dec 18, 2023, 1:02:38 PM12/18/23
DrSkinner <shamus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2023-12-17 05:31, Anssi Saari wrote:
>> Eric Hill <er...@sporcle.com> writes:
>>
>>> How are all of you planning (or currently) accessing this group's posts and content outside of Google Groups?
>>
>> I've been using Eternal September's Usenet service for about a decade
>> now.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation. I registered on Eternal September and
> pointed Thunderbird at it.
>
> There are much better newsfroup clients, but they require payment...

I have been using tin, a basic newsreader, for over 29 years now.
It all started on Digital UNIX back in the autumn of 1994.

Tin's UI is based on (n)curses and it is simple and effective to use.
Another somewhat similar but probably more advanced newsreader is
slrn.

No payment required for tin or slrn.

br,
KK

Keith

Dec 19, 2023, 12:00:11 AM12/19/23
You can use Free Agent from Forte which the last version was 3.3.
You can use Xnews.
You can use Gravity Usenet News Reader.

You can find all of these with a Google.com search.

Nigel Reed

Dec 19, 2023, 12:50:28 AM12/19/23
On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:06:37 -0500
Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> From a technical point of view Thunderbird produces proper articles.
>
> But I don't really like its GUI anymore. Using something else here.
> :-)

My bulletin board carries this group since it is gatewayed to Fidonet
so you're welcome to join and use my board to access it. It also allows
nntp connections and I'm also working on a way to provide access to my
news server to bbs users. Point your telnet, ssh, or rlogin client to
endofthelinebbs.com and sign up for a free account, drop me an email so
I can upgrade your account with post privileges and you're away.

Pierre

Dec 19, 2023, 1:09:13 AM12/19/23
It is unfortunate but the spam flood for the last couple of months has been rediculous. So, it is good ridence to bad spammers.

When my ISP (largest telco in Australia) shutdown it's Usenet servers, I switched to Giganews. I am still using tin as my news client, as I have for the last 30 years.

Long live Usenet.

Cheers
Pierre

Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood

Dec 19, 2023, 8:08:31 AM12/19/23
Groovy hepcat Anssi Saari was jivin' in comp.sys.cbm on Sun, 17 Dec 2023
09:31 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

> Eric Hill <er...@sporcle.com> writes:
>
>> How are all of you planning (or currently) accessing this group's
>> posts and content outside of Google Groups?
>
> I've been using Eternal September's Usenet service for about a decade
> now.

I'm a much more recent convert to ES. I've never used GG, though; only
real news servers.

> I guess Google's change means I can clean up the recently added
> scoring rules for Google Groups posters.

Good point! I hadn't even thought of my (bulging) filters. I had
blanket kill-filed all posts from GG. But since that was done in one
fell swoop, removing it won't make a heap of difference. But still...

--

----- Dig the NEW and IMPROVED news sig!! -----

Ain't I'm a dawg!!