Simple question: help for 1571 format command.

Francesco Sblendorio

Dec 12, 2002, 4:28:11 PM12/12/02
I'm using DS/DD diskettes. With the command
HEADER"NAME,ID"

I get one-side disks, 664 blocks free :(
How can I get 2-side formatted 1571 disk?

Thanks in advance.

Jim MacKenzie

Dec 12, 2002, 4:53:39 PM12/12/02

"Francesco Sblendorio" <sblen...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> I'm using DS/DD diskettes. With the command
> HEADER"NAME,ID"
>
> I get one-side disks, 664 blocks free :(
> How can I get 2-side formatted 1571 disk?

Your 1571 thinks you're accessing it from a Commodore 64, not a 128. There
is a command to force it into 1571 mode. Check the manual.

Jim

Francesco Sblendorio

Dec 12, 2002, 5:06:39 PM12/12/02
Jim MacKenzie ha scritto:

> Your 1571 thinks you're accessing it from a Commodore 64, not a 128.
> There is a command to force it into 1571 mode. Check the manual.

I have a German manual, and I don't understand German :-/
Can you help me?

Tim Knight

Dec 12, 2002, 6:01:25 PM12/12/02
Try this:

OPEN 15,X,15,"U0>M1" (X=Drive #)

PRINT#15,"NEW:XXXXXXXX,99" (X=Disk name)

CLOSE 15

That should force the system into 1571 mode, and format the disk with 1328
blocks.

(If I ain't right, guys.....jump in here and correct me!)

Tim K

RW

Dec 12, 2002, 7:26:40 PM12/12/02
A very good question indeed, if anyone knows it email it to me also....as I
will be in need of it. :)

Larry Anderson

Dec 12, 2002, 5:00:41 PM12/12/02
That's odd, not sure how you are powering up your system, etc. but it
sounds like the 1571 is in 1541 mode when it formatted the disk. enter
this command before the header command

open15,8,15,"u0>m1":close15

This will force the drive into 1571 mode. But if the drive continues to
think in 1541 mode, it won't read the second side without the above command...

Are you starting up in 128 mode or 64 mode... or it could be a question
of the IEC serial cable, I recall some of them were 5-wire instead of
6... :-/

Larry

--
01000011 01001111 01001101 01001101 01001111 01000100 01001111 01010010 01000101
Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS (209) 754-1363

Evan Wilder

Dec 12, 2002, 11:14:00 PM12/12/02

You're using the HEADER command which is a BASIC 3.5 or above command correctly, so if you're on a
C128 here is something wrong with your drive, most likely a wire or more to the r/w head for side 1
(the second side) has come loose. I've had it happen, it seems a not too uncommon occurrence judging
by the number of times the problem has come up in this newsgroup. If you are using a Plus/4 or B128
or a 500 of some sort you may have to issue a command to force the drive into double sided 1571
mode. This is the way to do it.

OPEN15,8,15,"U0>M1":CLOSE 15

Your HEADER command will now work as you wish unless the aforementioned r/w head for the second side
has had the misfortune of its wires or at least one important wire being disconnected. You can check
this visually and fix it if you're good with a soldering iron. I destroyed my first 1571 attempting
the repair.

-e

Francesco Sblendorio

Dec 13, 2002, 3:30:54 AM12/13/02
Thanx to all you :)

Glenn P.,

Dec 13, 2002, 4:32:00 AM12/13/02
On 12-Dec-02 at 10:28pm +0100, <sblen...@despammed.com> wrote:

> I'm using DS/DD diskettes. With the command
> HEADER"NAME,ID"

> I get one-side disks, 664 blocks free :(
> How can I get 2-side formatted 1571 disk?

A brief primer on some important and interesting "1571" drive commands:

To set up for true "1571" mode (including double-sided, 1328-block
disk formats):

1. Issue the disk command: CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"U0>M1":CLOSE1
...which puts the drive into native "1571" mode.

2. THEN issue your normal HEADER command, or in BASIC v2.0,
a CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"N0:NAME,ID":CLOSE1.

Voila! Instant double-sided format! :)

This only works on a 1571 disk drive, of course. It also assumes
that the drive is working correctly. It is possible for the second
head to go "kerflooey" -- a not uncommon occurence, alas -- in
which case you'll only get single-sided access and formatting.

Three last things.

FIRST, if you happen to use a C128, try turning on the drive first,
and THEN the computer. The C128 is designed to first check device #8
for a boot sector (you'll get INTENSE disk activity for about five
seconds or so), and then to throw any "device #8" 1571 into "1571"
mode automatically, as part of its start-up sequence.

SECOND, if for some reason you DON'T want the 1571 to be in "1571"
mode any more and to format 1541-type (single-sided 664-block) disks
(this is also necessary for "reverse-side formatting", see below),
the corresponding disk command is CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"U0>M0":CLOSE1.
This is the exact same command as first given above, except that the
command string is "U0>M0" instead of "U0>M1".

THIRD and finally, if you issue a CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"U0>H1":CLOSE1
after setting "1541" mode, you can format single-sided, but to the
REVERSE side of the disk!!! This enables you to "partition", so to
speak, a single double-sided disk into two entirely separate 1541
disks, which you can switch between in software *without* having to
physically flip the disk! On such a "dual-formatted" diskette, a
CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"U0>H0":CLOSE1 accesses side One, and a
CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"U0>H1":CLOSE1 accesses side Two.

VERY IMPORTANT EXCEPTION: JiffyDOS-equipped 1571's are equipped to use
double-sided mode at ALL TIMES, and therefore this "dual-formatting"
is impossible on a JiffyDOS'ed 1571, since there's no way to put it
into "single-sided" mode (but since it is actually rarely used, this
is very little loss).

DO please note that the "Side Two" of any such "dual-formatted" disk
is NOT accessible by a 1541 disk drive -- only by a 1571... and then
ONLY if the commands CLOSE1:OPEN1,8,15,"U0>M0":PRINT#1,"U0>H1":CLOSE1
have been issued to it.

Hope all of this helps, enjoy your 1571, and good luck! :)

-- _____
{~._.~} %%%%%%%%%% [ "Glenn P.," <C128...@FVI.Net> ] %%%%%%%%%%
_( Y )_ -------------------------------
(:_~*~_:) "I wasn't asleep -- I was checking my eyelids for holes."
(_)-(_) --Heard on "Deep Space Nine."

Paul Rosenzweig

Dec 13, 2002, 12:32:18 PM12/13/02
"Glenn P.," <C128...@FVI.Net> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.44.021213...@Oswego.FoxValley.net>...

> On 12-Dec-02 at 10:28pm +0100, <sblen...@despammed.com> wrote:

> > I'm using DS/DD diskettes. With the command
> > HEADER"NAME,ID"
>
> > I get one-side disks, 664 blocks free :(
> > How can I get 2-side formatted 1571 disk?

> It is possible for the second head to go "kerflooey" -- a
> not uncommon occurence, alas -- in which case
> you'll only get single-sided access and formatting.

On any 1571 with a 'kerflooey' second head, my attempts at a double sided
1328 block format have failed. I get an incomplete format, not a successful
664 block 1541 style format. Mr. SBLENDORIO's primary problem is in C128
native mode, his 1571 is booting to 1541 mode. He must determine why
this is happening. The most likely possobilities mentioned are that he
is using a defective data cable or that he is turning on his 1571 and
computer in the wrong order. In my days when I had only a single 1571
drive, I consistantly violated the periferals on first rule because I
didn't like the expensive sounds that an empty drive emitted when trying
to access the boot block. IIRC i never encountered the 664 block format
problem. My vote is that the cable is defective. I have a cable that
won't allow a burst mode load from a 1581. Unfortunately, I can't test
my opinion since I no longer have a functioning external 1571 drive.

Francesco Sblendorio

Dec 13, 2002, 2:58:07 PM12/13/02
Paul Rosenzweig ha scritto:

> On any 1571 with a 'kerflooey' second head, my attempts at a double
> sided 1328 block format have failed. I get an incomplete format, not

> [...]

Thank you, I will check the cable with a tester ASAP.

Sam Gillett

Dec 13, 2002, 10:55:36 PM12/13/02

Francesco Sblendorio wrote ...

You can find an English version of the 1571 manual in e-text format at:

http://project64.c64.org/archive.htm

Best regards,

Sam Gillett aka Mars Probe @ Starship Intrepid 1-972-221-4088
Last 8-bit BBS in the Dallas area. Commodore lives!

Glenn P.,

Dec 14, 2002, 4:49:53 AM12/14/02
On 13-Dec-02 at 9:32am -0800, <r_u_...@mybluelight.com> wrote:

> In my days when I had only a single 1571 drive, I consistantly violated
> the periferals on first rule because I didn't like the expensive sounds
> that an empty drive emitted when trying to access the boot block.

It DOES do a lot of "grinding away", doesn't it? :/

But the solution is simple -- almost absurdly so -- just insert a blank,
formatted disk into the drive before you turn on the computer. MUCH less
noise and activity, as the drive actually finds a DISK to test, but doesn't
find any boot sector!

--_____ %%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128...@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
{~._.~} -----------------------------------------------------------------
_( Y )_ "You know", he added very gravely, "it's one of the most
(:_~*~_:) serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle --
(_)-(_) to get one's head cut off."
========= ---------------
///////// --Tweedledee, in Chapter IV, "Tweedledum And Tweedledee",
========= of "Through The Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll.

Sam Gillett

Dec 14, 2002, 6:07:50 PM12/14/02

Glenn P., wrote ...

>On 13-Dec-02 at 9:32am -0800, <r_u_...@mybluelight.com> wrote:
>
>> In my days when I had only a single 1571 drive, I consistantly violated
>> the periferals on first rule because I didn't like the expensive sounds
>> that an empty drive emitted when trying to access the boot block.
>
>It DOES do a lot of "grinding away", doesn't it? :/
>
>But the solution is simple -- almost absurdly so -- just insert a blank,
>formatted disk into the drive before you turn on the computer. MUCH less
>noise and activity, as the drive actually finds a DISK to test, but
>doesn't find any boot sector!

I used to use a disk with frequently used utilities on it. That way I
could often start working without even changing disks. Of course I kept
backups of the programs on another disk... just in case.

Best regards, and Merry Christmas!

Francesco Sblendorio

Dec 15, 2002, 6:18:02 PM12/15/02
Sam Gillett wrote:

> You can find an English version of the 1571 manual in e-text format
> at:
>
> http://project64.c64.org/archive.htm

Thank you, very useful.
BTW, did they plan a PDF version of manuals?

J. Robertson

Dec 15, 2002, 7:21:16 PM12/15/02

Probably not. Project 64 is dedicated to only keep ASCII text files so
that they're readable on any platform.

Jason

--
E-mail #1: jkr[at]westol.com