CBM 64 serial port specs

Richard Hutchinson

Jun 25, 2003, 2:48:53 PM6/25/03
Hi, anyone have detailed specs / pin-out of the port + protocol for
receiving bytes.

Thanks....

Joe Forster/STA

Jun 26, 2003, 5:18:30 AM6/26/03
From he...@spamsuxdoitnow.com Tue Aug 11 21:12:27 1998
From: John/Lori <he...@spamsuxdoitnow.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Subject: How The VIC/64 Serial Bus Works by Jim Butterfield
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 12:27:52 -0700

This article appeared in Compute! July 1983 and is
Copyright 1983 by Jim Butterfield.

It is being posted here with his kind permission.

I'll be curious to see how the timing diagrams come out.
I haven't had much luck with "ASCII art" in the past.

I've tryed to reproduce this article verbatim.
(except for using around 70 characters/line versus the originals
50 or so)
Any errors in spelling or punctuation, etc. are probably due to my
transcription.

> a similar (non identical)
> article has been published recently in Commodore World.

HOW THE VIC/64
SERIAL BUS WORKS

By Jim Butterfield

The Serial bus connects VIC or Commodore 64 to its major peripherals,
especiallly disk and tape. The workings of this interface have been
a source of bafflement to most of us. We know that it's somehow
related to the IEEE-488 bus which is used on PET and CBM computers.
But it has fewer wires, and it's slower. For anyone interested in
interfacing details, this article will clear up the mystery.

GROUND RULES

To understand the workings of this bus, you must work through a few
concepts. Later, we'll get technical for this who want it.
The bus, like the IEEE, has two modes of operation: Select mode, in
which the computer calls all devices and asks for a specific device to
remain connected after the call ("Jones, would you stay in my office
after the meeting?"); and Data mode, in which actual information is
transmitted ("Jones, I've decided to give you a raise"). Select mode
is invoked by the use of a special control line called "Attention,"
or ATN.
By using Select mode, you can call in any device you choose, but
you may need to do more before you transmit data. You might have
several disk files in progress - writing some and reading others - and
when you select the disk, device 8, you'll still need to specify which
"part" of the disk you want to reach: subchannel 3, subchannel 15, or
whatever. To do this, we use a "secondary address" which usually
signals a subsystem within a specific device. That goes in as part of
the command during Select mode. Finally, we may need to send other
control information: the name of the file we wish to open, for
example.
That's not data; it's device setup information, so we also send it in
Select mode.
But the main part is: you select a device, and then you send to it
or
receive from it. Finally, you shut it off. All devices are
connected,
but only the one you have selected will listen or talk.

SOME TECHNICAL GROUND RULES

If you're not into volts and signals and things, the rest of this
article may not do much for you. I want to talk about technical
aspects of the bus.
First, all the data flows over two wires; They are called the Clock
line and the Data line. There are other wires used for control
purposes, but the data uses only the two main ones.

All wires connect to all devices. The wires don't go "one way"; any
device can put a ground on a signal line, and all other devices will
see it. Indeed, that's the secret of how it works: each wire serves
as a common signal bus.

When no device puts a ground on a signal line, the voltage rises to
almost five volts. We call this the "false" logic condition of the
wire. If any device grounds the line, the voltage drops to zero; we
call this the "true" condition of the line. Note that if two devices
signal "true" on a line (by grounding it), the effect is exactly the
same as if only one has done so: the voltage is zero and that's that.
We can summarize this as an important set of logic rules:

-A line will become "true" if one or more devices signal true;

-A line will become "false" only if all devices signal false.

Remember that we have several lines, but the important ones for
information transmission are the Clock line and the Data line. Let's
watch them work.

TRANSMISSION: STEP ZERO

Let's look at the sequence when a character is about to be
transmitted. At this time, both the Clock line and the Data line are
being held down to the true state. With a test instrument, you can't
tell who's doing it, but I'll tell you: the talker is holding the
Clock
line true, and the listener is holding the Data line true. There
could
be more than one listener, in which case all of the listeners are
holding the Data line true. Each of the signals might be viewed as
saying, "I'm here!".

STEP 1: READY TO SEND

Sooner or later, the talker will want to talk, and send a character.
When it's ready to go, it releases the Clock line to false. This
signal change might be translated as "I'm ready to send a character."
The listener must detect this and respond, but it doesn't have to do
so immediately.
The listener will respond to the talker's "ready to send" signal
whenever it likes; it can wait a long time. If it's a printer
chugging out a line of print, or a disk drive with a formatting job in
progress, it might hold back for quite a while; there's no time limit.

STEP 2: READY FOR DATA

When the listener is ready to listen, it releases the Data line to
false. Suppose there is more than one listener. The Data line will
go false only when all listeners have released it - in other words,
when all listeners are ready to accept data.
What happens next is variable. Either the talker will pull the
Clock line back to true in less than 200 microseconds - usually within
60 microseconds - or it will do nothing. The listener should be
watching, and if 200 microseconds pass without the Clock line going to
true, it has a special task to perform: note EOI.

INTERMISSION: EOI

If the Ready for Data signal isn't acknowledged by the talker within
200 microseconds, the listener knows that the talker is trying to
signal EOI. EOI, which formally stands for "End of Indicator," means
"this character will be the last one." If it's a sequential disk
file, don't ask for more: there will be no more. If it's a relative
record, that's the end of the record. The character itself will still
be coming, but the listener should note: here comes the last
character.
So if the listener sees the 200 microsecond time-out, it must signal
"OK, I noticed the EOI" back to the talker, I does this by pulling
the Data line true for at least 60 microseconds, and then releasing
it.
The talker will then revert to transmitting the character in the
usual way; within 60 microseconds it will pull the Clock line true,
and transmission will continue.
At this point, the Clock line is true whether or not we have gone
through the EOI sequence; we're back to a common transmission
sequence.

STEP 3: SENDING THE BITS

The talker has eight bits to send. They will go out without
handshake; in other words, the listener had better be there to catch
them, since the talker won't wait to hear from the listener. At this
point, the talker controls both lines, Clock and Data. At the
beginning of the sequence, it is holding the Clock true, while the
Data line is released to false. the Data line will change soon,
since we'll send the data over it.
The eights bits will go out from the character one at a time, with
the least significant bit going first. For example, if the character
is the ASCII question mark, which is written in binary as 00011111,
the ones will go out first, followed by the zeros.
Now, for each bit, we set the Data line true or false according to
whether the bit is one or zero. As soon as that's set, the Clock line
is released to false, signalling "data ready." The talker will
typically have a bit in place and be signalling ready in 70
microseconds or less.
Once the talker has signalled "data ready," it will hold the two
lines steady for at least 20 microseconds timing needs to be
increased to 60 microseconds if the Commodore 64 is listening, since
the 64's video chip may interrupt the processor for 42 microseconds
at a time, and without the extra wait the 64 might completely miss
a bit.
The listener plays a passive role here; it sends nothing, and just
watches. As soon as it sees the Clock line false, it grabs the bit
from the Data line and puts it away. It then waits for the clock line
to go true, in order to prepare for the next bit.
When the talker figures the data has been held for a sufficient
length of time, it pulls the Clock line true and releases the Data
line to false. Then it starts to prepare the next bit.

STEP 4: FRAME HANDSHAKE

After the eighth bit has been sent, it's the listener's turn to
acknowledge. At this moment, the Clock line is true and the Data line
is false. The listener must acknowledge receiving the byte OK by
pulling the Data line to true.
The talker is now watching the Data line. If the listener doesn't
pull the Data line true within one millisecond - one thousand
microseconds - it will know that something's wrong and may alarm
appropriately.

STEP 5: START OVER

We're finished, and back where we started. The talker is holding the
Clock line true, and the listener is holding the Data line true.
We're ready for step 1; we may send another character - unless EOI has
happened.
If EOI was sent or received in this last transmission, both talker
and listener "let go." After a suitable pause, the Clock and Data
lines are released to false and transmission stops.

ATTENTION!

This is all very well for a transmission that's under way, but how do
we set up talker and listener? We use an extra line that overrides
everything else, called the ATN, or Attention line.
Normally, the computer is the only device that will pull ATN true.
When it does so, all other devices drop what they are doing and become
listeners.
Signals sent by the computer during an ATN period look like ordinary
characters - eight bits with the usual handshake - but they are not
data. They are "Talk," "Listen," "Untalk," and "Unlisten" commands
telling a specific device that it will become (or cease to be) a
talker or listener. The commands go to all devices, and all devices
acknowledge them, but only the ones with the suitable device numbers
will switch into talk and listen mode. These commands are sometimes
followed by a secondary address, and after ATN is released, perhaps by
a file name.
An example might help give an idea of the nature of the
communications that take place. To open for writing a sequential disk
file called "XX," the following sequence would be sent with ATN on:
DEVICE-8-LISTEN;SECONDARY-ADDRESS-2-OPEN. When ATN switches off, the
computer will be waiting as a talker, holding the Clock line true;
and the disk will be the listener, holding the Data line true.
That's good, because the computer has more to send, and it will
transmit: X;X;comma;s;comma;W - the W will be accompanied with an EOI
signal. Shortly thereafter, the computer will switch ATN back on and
send DEVICE-8-UNLISTEN.
The file is now open; later, the computer will want to send data
there. It will transmit, with ATN on, DEVICE-8-LISTEN;SECONDARY-
ADDRESS-2-DATA. Then the computer releases the ATN line and sends
its data; only the disk will receive the data, and the disk will know
to put it onto the file called XX. The last character sent by the
computer will also signal EOI.
After the computer has sent enough data for the moment, it will pull
ATN on again and send DEVICE-8-UNLISTEN. Many bursts of data may goto
the file; eventually, the computer will close the file by sending
(with ATN on, of course) DEVICE-8-LISTEN;SECONDARY-ADDRESS-2-CLOSE.
ATN overrides everything in progress, A disk file might have lots
of characters to give to the computer, but the computer wants only a
little data. It accepts the characters it wants, then switches on ATN
and commands the disk to Untalk. The disk has not sent EOI, but it
will disconnect as commanded. Later, when it's asked to Talk again,
it will send more characters.

ATN SEQUENCES

When ATN is pulled true, everybody stops what they are doing.
The processor will quickly pull the Clock line true (it's going to
send soon), so it may be hard to notice that all other devices release
the Clock line. At the same time, the processor releases the Data
line to false, but all other devices are getting ready to listen and
will each pull Data to true. They had better do this within one
millisecond (1000 microseconds), since the processor is watching and
may sound an alarm ("device not available") if it doesn't see this
take place.
Under normal circumstances, transmission now takes place as
previously described. The computer is sending commands rather than
data, but the characters are exchanged with exactly the same timing
and handshakes as before. All devices receive the commands, but only
the specified device acts upon it. This results in a curious
situation: you can send a command to a nonexistent device (try
"OPEN 6,6") - and the computer will not know that there is a problem,
since it receives valid handshakes from the other devices.
The computer will notice a problem when you try to send or receive
data from the nonexistent device, since the unselected devices will
have dropped off when ATN ceased, leaving you with nobody to talk to.

TURNAROUND

An unusual sequence takes place following ATN if the computer wishes
the remote device to become a talker. This will usually take place
only after a Talk command has been sent. Immediately after ATN is
released, the selected device will be behaving like a listener.
After all, it's been listening during the ATN cycle, and the computer
has been a talker. At this instant, we have "wrong way" logic; the
device is holding down the Data line, and the computer is holding the
Clock line. We must turn this around.
Here's the sequence: the computer quickly realizes what's going on,
and pulls the Data line to true (it's already there), as well as
releasing the Clock line to false. The device waits for this: when it
sees the Clock line go true, it releases the Data line (which stays
true anyway since the computer is now holding it down) and then pulls
down the Clock line.
We're now in our starting position, with the talker (that's the
device) holding the Clock true, and the listener (the computer)
holding the Data line true. The computer watches for this state;
only when it has gone through the cycle correctly will it be ready to
receive data. And data will be signalled, of course, with the usual
sequence: the talker releases the Clock line to signal that it's
ready to send.
The logic sequences make sense. They are hard to watch with a
voltmeter or oscilloscope since you can't tell which device is pulling
the line down to true.
The principles involved are very similar to those on the PET/CBM
IEEE-488 bus - the same Talk and Listen commands go out, with
secondary addresses and similar features. There are fewer "handshake"
lines than on IEEE, and the speed is slower; but the principle is the
same.

SERIAL BUS TRANSMISSION SEQUENCE

CLOCK DATA
LINE LINE

T F T F

| |
Step zero (start): | |
Talker holds Clock line true; | |
Listener holds Data line true. | |
\/\ \/\

\/\ \/\
| |
Step one (Ready to Send): |___ |
talker releases Clock line. | |
| |
\/\ \/\

\/\ \/\
Step two (Ready for Data): | |
Listener releases Data line. | |___
| |
----------------|-----------|-----
| |
Intermission (Only if EOI): | |
Listener times out and | |
acknowledges EOI by pulling | ___|
Data line true for a brief period. | |___
| |
----------------|-----------|-----
| |
Step two (completion): ___| |
Talker pulls Clock line true. | |

Step three (data): | ___|
Talker sets data bit on Data line | | |
| | | REPEAT
Talker releases Clock line to |___ | | FOR
signal "bit ready" | | | EACH
| | | BIT
Talker holds lines steady for | | |
fixed time; | | |
| | |
Talker pulls clock line true ___| |___|
and releases Data line. | |
| |
Step 3 repeats for each of 8
data bits. | |
| |
Step 4 (acknowledge): | ___|
Listener pulls Data line | |
true to acknowledge. | |
\/\ \/\

Back to Step 0. \/\ \/\
| |

Not drawn to accurate time scale

Copyright 1983 Jim Butterfield

Richard Hutchinson

Jun 26, 2003, 11:34:32 AM6/26/03
That's exactly what I was looking for !

Do you know if it is still possible to obtain the serial connector socket
(preferably in a right-angled PCB mount) ?

Thanks.....

Michael J. Schülke

Jun 26, 2003, 12:50:04 PM6/26/03
Richard Hutchinson wrote:

> Do you know if it is still possible to obtain the serial connector socket
> (preferably in a right-angled PCB mount) ?

Sure -- that's just a standard 6 pin DIN connector. Around here
(Germany), you can get them from just about any electronics store, for
something like 50 Eurocents.

I've been told that they are a little harder to find in the US, but
larger mail order companies like Digi-Key should have them.

Regards,
Michael

Richard Hutchinson

Jun 28, 2003, 10:39:11 AM6/28/03