ssv5 32k ram

George Taylor

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

I own a super snapshot version 5 utility cartridge. It has been
expanded internally to 32k ram. I know the pokes to access the standard
8k of ram, but don't know how to access 32k. Can someone tell me how?
Btw, you can access the extra 8k of memory with a lda #2:sta $de00.
Remember to turn interrupts off. The 8k appears at the bottom of
memory.
Also, once I saw posted a rom dump of this cart. Who was that? Know
where I can get it?

Tom Cwikla

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

In <32A897...@netcom.ca> George Taylor <inte...@netcom.ca> writes:

>I own a super snapshot version 5 utility cartridge. It has been
>expanded internally to 32k ram. I know the pokes to access the standard
>8k of ram, but don't know how to access 32k. Can someone tell me how?
>Btw, you can access the extra 8k of memory with a lda #2:sta $de00.

bit 0 connected directly to the GAME' line on the C64 and to the PAL
bit 1 connected to OUTPUT ENABLE' of the RAM chip and to the PAL
bit 2 connected to A13 on the RAM chip and A14 on the ROM chip
bit 3 connected to ENABLE' on the ROM chip and to the PAL
bit 4 connected to A14 on the RAM and A15 on the ROM
bit 5 connected to A16 on the ROM (only if 128K ROM in installed)

So to toggle between the four 8K banks of the ROM chip you would write one
of four different values to bits 2 and 4.

You can also use the *X command in the monitor to do the same thing. I
haven't tried this yet, but apparently this will work:
*X2, *X6, *X12, *X16 gives you the four ROM banks at $8000-$C000
*X0, *X4, *X10, *X14 gives you the four RAM banks at $8000-$A000
*X1 puts you back into normal mode

>Remember to turn interrupts off. The 8k appears at the bottom of
>memory.
>Also, once I saw posted a rom dump of this cart. Who was that? Know
>where I can get it?

There was a program posted a while ago which would dump the ROM of your
cartridge to a file, but I highly doubt that anyone will post the actual 64K
of ROM on the newsgroup. Especially since the Super Snapshot is still being
sold commercially. Not that it would be of any benefit since I don't think
anyone has managed to get the PAL equations yet. (damn double-sided PCB!)

I don't know who originally posted the program but I have a copy of it
somewhere. If you want it, let me know by E-Mail and I'll send you a copy.

--Tom.