CBM64 Viewdata software

Nigel Reed

Apr 17, 2022, 2:20:39 AM4/17/22
This is more aimed at UK people, I guess...

Back in the 80's Prestel/Micronet 800 advertised their service could
be accessed with a number of modems, the Pace Nightingate with a
cartridge, and the Commodore Modem Cartridge.

Micronet 800 and Prestel didn't use the usual terminal software that
runs 8N1 but it uses 7E1 and a specific character set. There is mention
of something like "Y2-Mustang" but I have not been able to track it
down.

Is there anyone around who accessed Prestel in the 80's with a CBM 64
that can recall the software they used and, more importantly, does
anyone have the software? It would be known as Videotex or Viewdata
software.

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Ignacio Duarte

Apr 18, 2022, 7:20:20 AM4/18/22
You may be talking about Vidotex by Handic Software AB from 1984.

This is what it looks like:

https://i.imgur.com/YJrMrDu.png

I uploaded it here. I do not know how to use it.

https://file.io/IAy9xxFLthUj

You may also be interested, if you are not already aware, in modern Videotex
services with clients for modern platforms:

https://glasstty.com/?p=1

I'm from the US and this is really the first opportunity I have had to check it
out since, as you indicate, this is mainly a UK thing, or, if not mainly a UK
thing, not a US thing. I encourage people who have never played around with
Videotex to check it out as it is trivial to install and runs right over the
Internet.

Paul Förster

Apr 18, 2022, 7:22:45 AM4/18/22
Hi Nigel,

On 17. Apr, 2022 at 08:20:38 CEST, "Nigel Reed" <sy...@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:

> This is more aimed at UK people, I guess...

I'm not a UK person and don't know the software you're talking about. But I'm
happy to see that there is still someone around despite Robert Bernardo's
postings about meetings and events. :-)

Cheers,
Paul

Adam Sampson

Apr 18, 2022, 11:30:04 AM4/18/22
Nigel Reed <sy...@endofthelinebbs.com> writes:

> There is mention of something like "Y2-Mustang" but I have not been
> able to track it down.

That might be Mustang 32, the C64 Micronet terminal software that came
with Modem House's Voyager 7 modems. Their ads were pretty distinctive:

https://archive.org/details/popular-computing-weekly-1986-09-18/page/n7/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/YourCommodoreIssue25Oct86/page/n24/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/Commodore_Computing_International_Vol_05_No_02_1986-09_Croftward_GB/page/n11/mode/1up

(No idea whether it survives, though...)

--
Adam Sampson <a...@offog.org> <http://offog.org/>

Nigel Reed

Apr 18, 2022, 12:20:27 PM4/18/22
Re: Re: CBM64 Viewdata software
By: Ignacio Duarte to Nigel Reed on Mon Apr 18 2022 10:09:52

> You may be talking about Vidotex by Handic Software AB from 1984.

Not heard of that during my research.

> https://i.imgur.com/YJrMrDu.png

But that seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

> I uploaded it here. I do not know how to use it.

Thanks. I will grab it later. I'll be running tcpser on my PC along with
WinVice. This should let me direct a serial port to a the tcp/ip port that
tcpser is listening on.

You can then use AT commands to dial a hostname.

atdtendofthelinebbs.com:6502

tcpser will then deal with the communications and then hand it back to WinVice.

If you're not aware, WinVice is a CBM64 emulator.

> You may also be interested, if you are not already aware, in modern Videotex
> services with clients for modern platforms:
>
> https://glasstty.com/?p=1

Yes, I'm familiar with that project and have been in touch with the author a
few times. There's also ccl4 out of Hull which is still going but seems to
require its own web based java interface to access it.

> I'm from the US and this is really the first opportunity I have had to check
> it out since, as you indicate, this is mainly a UK thing, or, if not mainly
> a UK thing, not a US thing. I encourage people who have never played around
> with Videotex to check it out as it is trivial to install and runs right
> over the Internet.

I'm from the UK originally so grew up with it. I now live in the US and have
added a viewdata module to my BBS. It's highly experimental at the moment and
still need some work but it's slowly getting there.

Anyway, thanks for the software suggestion, I'll grab it tonight after work.

Thanks,
Nigel

Nigel Reed

Apr 18, 2022, 12:20:28 PM4/18/22
Re: Re: CBM64 Viewdata software
By: =?UTF-8?B?UGF1bCBGw7Zyc3Rlcg==?= to All on Mon Apr 18 2022 11:22:42

> I'm not a UK person and don't know the software you're talking about. But
> I'm happy to see that there is still someone around despite Robert
> Bernardo's postings about meetings and events. :-)

Well, only here for purely selfish reasons. I did own a Vic-20 recently. I
wouldn't mind picking up a CBM64 though we'll have to see.

Regards
Nigel

Nigel Reed

Apr 18, 2022, 1:20:22 PM4/18/22
Re: Re: CBM64 Viewdata software
By: Adam Sampson to Nigel Reed on Mon Apr 18 2022 16:15:44

> > There is mention of something like "Y2-Mustang" but I have not been
> > able to track it down.
>
> That might be Mustang 32, the C64 Micronet terminal software that came
> with Modem House's Voyager 7 modems. Their ads were pretty distinctive:

Yes, that does sound like it. From the description, it was a rom cartridge so
whether anyone has made an image, I have no idea. I'll have to poke around some
of the CBM bulletin boards to see what I can find.

Thanks,
Nigel

Nigel Reed

Apr 18, 2022, 3:20:23 PM4/18/22
Re: Re: CBM64 Viewdata software
By: Ignacio Duarte to Nigel Reed on Mon Apr 18 2022 10:09:52

> I uploaded it here. I do not know how to use it.
>
> https://file.io/IAy9xxFLthUj

I just went to download and got a notice that it has already been deleted :(

Ignacio Duarte

Apr 18, 2022, 5:20:23 PM4/18/22

Nigel Reed

Apr 18, 2022, 7:08:56 PM4/18/22
OK I have it, but I see what you mean about not knowing what to do with
it. I don't seem to be able to get it connect to the serial port. Most
odd.

Nigel Reed

Apr 19, 2022, 12:20:25 AM4/19/22
Re: Re: CBM64 Viewdata software
By: Andreas Kohlbach to Nigel Reed on Mon Apr 18 2022 20:37:55

> Started it in VICE, but have no idea what to do. Pressing almost key key
> results in a number counting up or down. I took a screenshot though, but
> others here already did, so I don't put it online (unless someone wants me
> to).

Yes, I had the same experience. The F keys seem to do something. I wonder if
there's a C= key combo. Though I have no idea how to do that in my version yet,
I've tried a things like SHIFT+CTRL+C F1 then C F9 then C and a few other
combinations.

Nigel Reed

Apr 19, 2022, 2:20:30 PM4/19/22
So, for those following along. I couldn't get anywhere with the Handic
Software Videotex cartridge. The C= did a few things with various keys
but nothing I could actually define.

The enter/return key sent # which is expected and CTRL-M seemed to send
a linefeed, but I couldn't see it connecting to tcpser at all. I've
spent a couple of hours trying to find a manual online but nothing.

Then I came across this gem

https://archive.org/details/GatewayVideotexVTX64SoftwareForUseWithCommodore64198
5

I downloaded the "ISO Image" which is a .d64 disk image, however it
seems corrupt as I load the program

LOAD"VTX64",8

then when I run it, I get a syntax error in line 42394

When I LIST it looks corrupt. 42394 is SQRGOSUB followed by line 169
then 47648.

I don't seem to be able to find another image anywhere.

So...stuck again :(

Robert Bernardo

Apr 19, 2022, 4:25:33 PM4/19/22
On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:20:30 PM UTC-4, Nigel Reed wrote:

> I don't seem to be able to find another image anywhere.
>
> So...stuck again :(

Have you tried contacting the British C= clubs for help?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
June 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2022 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Nigel Reed

Apr 19, 2022, 9:20:32 PM4/19/22
On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:25:31 +0000
"Robert Bernardo" <robert.bernardo@3:770/3> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:20:30 PM UTC-4, Nigel Reed wrote:
>
> > I don't seem to be able to find another image anywhere.
> >
> > So...stuck again :(
>
> Have you tried contacting the British C= clubs for help?

I didn't know there was one. I'll look them up. Thank you.

Gary McCulloch

Apr 19, 2022, 10:20:32 PM4/19/22
I am sorry I don't have time at themoment, but I may have to check this out and
try it on WinVice and my C64 and see what I may be able to find out.

-Spitfire Inc presents 3 Unique Systems...

Reign of Fire rof.cnetbbs.net:2300 C-Net Amiga Pro BETA System.
Reign of Fire II rof.cnet64.com:6400 C-Net 64 DS-2 BETA System.
Reign of Fire III rof.cnet128.com:6502 C-Net 128 v7.2 Retro System.

* ACIS Member. AmigaNet ArakNet C=Net FidoNet RetroNet SciNet
* C-Net/5

Nigel Reed

Apr 19, 2022, 11:20:32 PM4/19/22
On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:59:21 +0000
"Gary McCulloch" <gary.mcculloch@1:154/50> wrote:

> I am sorry I don't have time at themoment, but I may have to check
> this out and try it on WinVice and my C64 and see what I may be able
> to find out.

I did get the VTX64 to load by using LOAD"VTX64",8,1 since I found a
manual for it, but still not been able to get it to dial out. It looks
like some baud rate issue. I double checked and have tcpser and WinVice
set to 1200 so I'm at a loss. Really wish I could track this Mustang
software down but all I come up with is Ford cars!

Robert Bernardo

Apr 20, 2022, 4:30:54 PM4/20/22
On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 9:20:32 PM UTC-4, Nigel Reed wrote:

> I didn't know there was one. I'll look them up.

Well, they are usually disguised under Amiga clubs! :) There is definitely a C64 element in Amiga North Thames (ANT). They are located in Enfield (north London). I've visited them twice and have seen 8-bit Commodores at that club. http://www.amiganorththames.co.uk/main.shtml