Opera browser beta for Be

Albert Hennesy

Sep 9, 2000, 12:29:43 PM9/9/00
Opera Software recently announced its release of Opera browser
beta ver 7 (see http://www.opera.com/beos/ ). Has anyone tried
it? Any comments?

Al_Hennesy

Michael Koenig

Sep 9, 2000, 12:53:15 PM9/9/00

The Beta 7 is out for months! The updated version, which was announced
recently wasn't released yet.

--
M.I.K.e

David Siefert

Sep 9, 2000, 1:37:29 PM9/9/00
I personally do not like the interface. I would have like to have seen
NetPositive continue on. The rendering in Net+ was much better than Opera
when I tested it.

-Dave

Oliver Clark

Sep 9, 2000, 7:04:06 PM9/9/00
Yeah, I'm fine with Net+
It's a pity some of the sites out there are so complicated that no browser
can read them the same...

Ron E. Marks

Sep 11, 2000, 6:36:10 PM9/11/00
Is Net+ abondoned? Its my favorite browser and I would love to see it
develop further.

Ron

Sofabutt

Sep 11, 2000, 6:43:11 PM9/11/00
No answer to your question though i have heard Be has taken ovr
development of opera and that may leave Net + abandonned. I'd like to
see it opened up for dev in the same way the Tracker and Deskbar were if
it is.

Nate LaCourse

Sep 11, 2000, 7:52:34 PM9/11/00
> No answer to your question though i have heard Be has taken ovr
> development of opera and that may leave Net + abandonned.

This is true. Work on Net+ beyond v 2.x hasn't happened for some time
(~1 year), in favor of Opera (Be has given their official word on this
many times). You can still download Net+ 3.0d3 though.

> I'd like to see it opened up for dev in the same way the Tracker
> and Deskbar were if it is.

Not gonna happen. Net+ makes use of too much licensed code to
open-source it. I know what you are going to say: "What is licensed
except the SSL stuff", right? I said the same thing, but the word comes
from various Be engineers.

Have fun,
Nate

David Siefert

Sep 11, 2000, 10:44:36 PM9/11/00
> Not gonna happen. Net+ makes use of too much licensed code to
> open-source it. I know what you are going to say: "What is licensed
> except the SSL stuff", right? I said the same thing, but the word comes
> from various Be engineers.

I thought I saw the browser engine name for netpositive somewhere. Anyone
know who/what it was?

-Dave