Genesis PPC X 4 + BeOS 5?

Mick

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
I've been reading up about those PPC Genesis SMP mac-clones that have 4
processors in them. If one was to buy one second hand & upgrade it with
G3/G4 upgrade cards, how competitive would it be price/performance wise with
a modern C'mine or T'bird BeOS 5 PC?

Also I read via a Slasdot link that there's a Mac runtime enviroment program
for BeOS PPC systems that works in a similar way to the way OS/2 does win16
applications & the way the Linux Wine app does Win32 aplications, in that
its not an emulator & actually runs the MacOS aplications natively (that's
why there's no x86 port for it), which means there's no speed loss (as long
as its done full screen, there's a performance drop if its done in a
window). Now would it be better to run that ontop of BeOS 5 as BeOS (from
what I've heard) fully supports up to 8 processors, no matter what app one
uses, or would it be better setting a Quad G3/G4 Genesis box up as a dual
boot BeOS/Mac system?

BTW, thanks everyone who helped give advice on setting up my cable
connection . DHCP didn't work with my connection on BeOS, so I had to use
the winipcfg command in W98 to get my settings, then copied 'em in the right
boxes in the Network preferences window & it worked straight off. No worries
mate.