Some hope from the Guilemont side.

SuperDude

Aug 16, 2001, 10:23:59 AM8/16/01
I want to own one of them Kyro2 cards but the thing is that they don`t
have drivers so CAN`T!!!!

I mailed Guilemont asking them if and when the drivers where going to
be available, this is what I got back:

Dear Sir,

Full Linux and BEOS drivers are in development at the moment, but no
final info can be given in terms of public release date.

If you require additional information or if you still have any
questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We welcome and
appreciate any form of comment or feedback to improve our services and
products.

Kind regards,
David

Guillemot Tech Support
technica...@guillemot.co.uk
http://www.guillemot.co.uk

I`m not completly satisfied about the answer but at lest it`s
something.

Jeffrey S. Kline

Aug 17, 2001, 9:18:09 PM8/17/01
Hang it up. Now with Be officially dead, I expect the manufacturers to head
for the hills like nothing seen before!!! <grin>

Too bad too as it's a real alternative to the Microsoft glut out there. In
all the time I've used it, no crashes except on experimental code...
Absolutely the most rock solid thing I ever did see...

--

Cheers; Jeff
c/o The Gass Can Productions

"SuperDude" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

John Smith

Aug 17, 2001, 9:05:41 PM8/17/01
Rock solid for me too, except for experimental stuff and drivers that were
NOT written by BeOS
ICQ Clones are all betas
'the browsers' except netpositive are all betas
I guess most of the etc. you mention were beta as well

<.> wrote in message news:5nbrntkrv59n1pd9k...@4ax.com...

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:18:09 -0500, "Jeffrey S. Kline"
> <jsk...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>
> > In
> >all the time I've used it, no crashes except on experimental code...
> >Absolutely the most rock solid thing I ever did see...
>

> I find this highly doubtful, since I've had a million and one programs
> crash on BeOS, including icq clones, the browsers, etc. So I'd say
> you're lying.

Jeffrey S. Kline

Aug 19, 2001, 9:00:17 PM8/19/01
Never ever had Netpositive or Gobe Productive and most of that stuff crash.
Never had any of the Icq clones crash either. Had some development code
crash but then again, I'm running a "normal" box that isn't overclocked or
stuffed with substandard hardware either. I've seen even BEOS crash on
machines that were put together with garage sale parts...!

--

<.> wrote in message news:ollrntkbqc7s32def...@4ax.com...

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:05:41 +1200, "John Smith"
> <spamfree@don'tbother.com> wrote:
>
> >Rock solid for me too, except for experimental stuff and drivers that
were
> >NOT written by BeOS
>

> Not written by BeOS?

> >ICQ Clones are all betas
> >'the browsers' except netpositive are all betas
>

> NetPositive crashes enough.

> >I guess most of the etc. you mention were beta as well
>

> Nup. ProcessController from the top of my head (though it is normally
> commendably stable), Tracker has died on me, heaps of other (final)
> stuff from Bebits like mail clients, etc. I think the app writers
> weren't too familiar with the new platform or the tools weren't right,
> 'cause most of the stuff wasn't as stable or usable as I had hoped.
> The TV viewers and some others being a breath of fresh air and never
> crashing (plus they were free, performing far better than Windows
> equivalents you pay for with the cards). Great OS though. Just needed
> some work on the app/driver/networking front, imho, which woulda
> happened if Be hadn't abandoned it. Still, nothing compares to BeOS. I
> still boot into it about once a week to get my numbed mind outta
> windows and experience the delicious goodness.

Bob

Aug 19, 2001, 5:55:07 PM8/19/01

Jeffrey S. Kline <jsk...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> Hang it up. Now with Be officially dead, I expect the manufacturers to
head
> for the hills like nothing seen before!!! <grin>

Very well written ! I'm glad to see that you see things the same way as I do
!

Bob

Steve Howie

Aug 19, 2001, 8:17:02 PM8/19/01
In comp.sys.be.misc Bob wrote:

> Bob

I thought we'd seen the last of you, sparrow-fart.

Scotty
--
Steve Howie ro...@127.0.0.1
Netnews and Listserv Admin 519 824-4120 x2556

SuperDude

Aug 19, 2001, 11:07:33 PM8/19/01
On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:56:14 +1000, . <.> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:18:09 -0500, "Jeffrey S. Kline"
><jsk...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>
>> In
>>all the time I've used it, no crashes except on experimental code...
>>Absolutely the most rock solid thing I ever did see...
>

>I find this highly doubtful, since I've had a million and one programs
>crash on BeOS, including icq clones, the browsers, etc. So I'd say
>you're lying.

Nope, solid as the hover dam.
The only thing that might happen is that an single app crash but that
doesn`t affect the whole system it still stays up and running.

Francis

Aug 20, 2001, 7:48:52 AM8/20/01
Jeff -

Just out of curiousity, are you giving up your effort on the Midiman
Delta drivers? If BeOS is going to have any sort of "afterlife" this
driver would be a big help!

But I guess the number one concern right now is whether or not there
*will* be an afterlife - i.e., Palm doesn't pull the distribution of
BeOS 5 PE and Pro.

--- Francis

Jøhnny Fävoríte (it means "Crush All Hu-Mans!")

Aug 21, 2001, 7:40:41 PM8/21/01
Steve Howie wrote:
> I thought we'd seen the last of you, sparrow-fart.

Oh christ, now I'm going to have to do it again. Dear Steve: *PLONK*!

Following up trolls, thereby creating more troll traffic, is just as bad
as being a troll yourself.

For god's sakes, don't make me killfile any more of you guys.

Marco Nelissen

Aug 21, 2001, 9:08:13 PM8/21/01

Or you could just add an option to Pineapple News to not show the
sub-thread (within the main thread) started by specific people.
That way you'd only have to killfile the trolls, and any responses
to their posts would be filtered out as well.

Steve Howie

Aug 21, 2001, 9:40:43 PM8/21/01

But Johnny - I'm using TIN because Pineapple doesn't have killfiles :)

Galley_SimRacer

Aug 22, 2001, 3:52:18 AM8/22/01
Steve Howie wrote:

> But Johnny - I'm using TIN because Pineapple doesn't have killfiles :)
>
> Scotty

Sure it does. Where have you been lately? ;-)

--
Stuff You Gotta Have
software for BeOS and PalmOS

Paul

Aug 25, 2001, 2:48:06 PM8/25/01
There's some trouble with multi io soundcards and the mediakit/BeOS
R5. Therefore Echo couldn't release the drivers. I remember Jeff
having trouble with it too.

Paul