Clock Issue with Athlon + BeOS Pro 5

CWR

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00

I am new to BeOS and I love it!! However, I am having a troublesome problem:
Sometimes when I boot BeOS Pro 5, the clock runs at twice the speed and the
processor is seen at half the speed (375 MHz). My actual processor speed is
750 MHz. I have an Athlon processor and an Asus K7M motherboard with 128 MB
of RAM, SoundBlaster Live MP3+, 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000, 2 HDs, Zip and Floppy.
If I restart when this problem occurs, sometimes it is fixed, sometimes it
is not. It seems to be totally intermittent. PLEASE help me out! This
affects the play of media (audio clips, video, etc.) because the status bar
finishes twice as fast as it should, so only half of the video/audio is
played. Thank you!!!

CWR

E-Mail me at:

no-sp...@no-spam.cwross.net

(remove no-spam and the . after each one)

Ben Carrell

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
I have the same problem with my athlon 750, abit KA7, 192mb, sb live value,
and 3d prohpet (geforce). Lemme know if you find a way to fix it.

Ben&Lynne

Aug 27, 2000, 8:45:35 PM8/27/00
You actually got Be os to work on your athlon!!!! I havea K7 700MHZ witha abit
MB and I keep getting ramdom freezes my set up is the same as your except the
video card I have matrog G400.

The Amazing Grace

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00

Ben&Lynne wrote:

> You actually got Be os to work on your athlon!!!! I havea K7 700MHZ witha abit
> MB and I keep getting ramdom freezes my set up is the same as your except the
> video card I have matrog G400.

Are you seing the clock problem too?

I am running Rev. 5.03 on a 700 Athlon with Abit KA7 motherboard. My
clock is running double speed. The system will freeze when playing sound
through any PnP Soundblaster, but will not freeze with my old jumpered
SB16. In any case, the sound is choppy, but that may be because of the
clock problem.

When not playing sound, the system is completely stable.

The system is overclocked to 750, but the problem does not go away when
running at 700.

Mads Hansen

--
Nothing is so smiple that it can't get messed up!

James Addison

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
I've got an Athlon 600 w/GeForce that I run every once in a while using
VesaAccepted - runs beautifully. No clock problems, crashes, etc.

I just wish there were video drivers for the GeForce now, so I could get out
of 60 Hz.

james addison

"The Amazing Grace" <am...@worldonline.dk> wrote in message

> Ben&Lynne wrote:
> >
> > You actually got Be os to work on your athlon!!!! I havea K7 700MHZ
witha abit
> > MB and I keep getting ramdom freezes my set up is the same as your
except the
> > video card I have matrog G400.

Joeri Sebrechts

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
> I am running Rev. 5.03 on a 700 Athlon with Abit KA7 motherboard. My
> clock is running double speed. The system will freeze when playing sound
> through any PnP Soundblaster, but will not freeze with my old jumpered
> SB16. In any case, the sound is choppy, but that may be because of the
> clock problem.

Does your sound work in Windows ?
I have the choppy problem too, but it also pops up in Windows, where I
get distortions on the right channel.
It seems the VIA chipset is the cause of this, but I haven't found
anything to solve it so far yet.
I'm using an Athlon 700 on an Aopen AK72 (yes, I know Aopen sucks, it
was the only choice I had at the time)

Kuifmans

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
"The Amazing Grace" <am...@worldonline.dk> wrote:

> Are you seing the clock problem too?
>

> I am running Rev. 5.03 on a 700 Athlon with Abit KA7 motherboard. My
> clock is running double speed. The system will freeze when playing sound
> through any PnP Soundblaster, but will not freeze with my old jumpered
> SB16. In any case, the sound is choppy, but that may be because of the
> clock problem.
>

> When not playing sound, the system is completely stable.

I posted this here before, and also filed a bug report to Be, which is still
under investigation.
The onboard AC'97 audio from my K7M (recognized by BeOS as MVP4) plays sound
about 8% too fast. wav, mp3, even streaming audio from the Net. Not choppy,
just pitched up. No problems in Windows, though. Also, my processor is
properly recognized as an Athlon 500.
Another post in this thread (Joeri) mentiones something about the VIA chipset,
so another sound card should fix it. I would have to go out and buy one to now
for sure, but I think it's just a driver/sample rate problem.
Anyone know of an alternative to the MVP4 driver for the
K7M/AC'97/(VIA)VT82C686A??

TIA
--
Grtz,
Kuif

Ben&Lynne

Aug 28, 2000, 9:57:35 PM8/28/00
I founfd the problem!!!! I disbale IDE DMA and it worksd flawlessly there's an issue
with this MB model I found a small article on BE!!!I wish there was a work around!!!