[BeOS] What versions of BeOS to support

Nikos Chantziaras

Oct 10, 2006, 11:10:03 AM10/10/06
I'm about to install BeOS on my PC. I decided to get a version called
"BeOS Developer Edition 1.1" from here: http://www.beosonline.com

But I'm not sure about compatibility between various
versions/distributions of BeOS. If I build a program on this version
and create a installation package with PackageBuilder, will it be usable
by everyone, regardless of what BeOS flavor is used?

Alexander G. M. Smith

Oct 12, 2006, 12:51:53 PM10/12/06
Nikos Chantziaras (rea...@arcor.de) writes:
> I'm about to install BeOS on my PC. I decided to get a version called
> "BeOS Developer Edition 1.1" from here: http://www.beosonline.com

I think that version was broken in some way. I'd recommend starting with
the standard BeOS personal edition, plus the developers tools, from
http://bebits.com/app/2680 then use the latest 2.95 gcc compiler (not
version 3.xx) from http://bebits.com/app/4011

> But I'm not sure about compatibility between various
> versions/distributions of BeOS. If I build a program on this version
> and create a installation package with PackageBuilder, will it be usable
> by everyone, regardless of what BeOS flavor is used?

Generally if you make it work for BeOS R5, it will work on all versions.
Later versions have a different network stack and API that isn't backwards
compatible.

- Alex

Nikos Chantziaras

Oct 12, 2006, 1:01:48 PM10/12/06
Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras (rea...@arcor.de) writes:
>> I'm about to install BeOS on my PC. I decided to get a version called
>> "BeOS Developer Edition 1.1" from here: http://www.beosonline.com
>
> I think that version was broken in some way.

I installed it, but for some reason it freezes after about 30 minutes of
running.

> I'd recommend starting with
> the standard BeOS personal edition, plus the developers tools, from
> http://bebits.com/app/2680 then use the latest 2.95 gcc compiler (not
> version 3.xx) from http://bebits.com/app/4011

I'll try that one.

Btw, know of any BeOS newsgroups that aren't dead? :P

Alexander G. M. Smith

Oct 15, 2006, 9:33:27 PM10/15/06
Nikos Chantziaras (rea...@arcor.de) writes:
> Btw, know of any BeOS newsgroups that aren't dead? :P

Most of the activity is now on the mailing lists. Check
http://www.bug-br.org.br/mailman/listinfo for the BeOS related ones.
There's also a fair bit of activity in the Haiku lists, but that's mostly
about new Haiku things being developed.

- Alex

Kev

Oct 21, 2006, 5:33:24 PM10/21/06

Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras (rea...@arcor.de) writes:
> > I'm about to install BeOS on my PC. I decided to get a version called
> > "BeOS Developer Edition 1.1" from here: http://www.beosonline.com
>
> I think that version was broken in some way. I'd recommend starting with
> the standard BeOS personal edition, plus the developers tools, from
> http://bebits.com/app/2680 then use the latest 2.95 gcc compiler (not
> version 3.xx) from http://bebits.com/app/4011

Strange...I never had a problem with it. Then again I use a Pentium III
computer from 2001.