New TT clone

Theodore L Hopman

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

I received this as part of am email from Chris at Computer Direct in
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Very interesting if I may say so. Read and
drool, and note that I am in no way affiliated with Computer Direct and
am therefore posting this for your information only.

THeo

--- cut here ---
[...Removed by self...]

We have been busy developing the following...it has used up all our
resources and energy...buy we are glad to be able to deliver it 6 months
ahead of schedule!

Official Press Release:
May 5, 1996
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

New 68060 / 68040 based TT Clones from Computer Direct are now available!

The DirecT40 and the DirecT60 are based on the same motherboard design,
simply swapping out the socketed 68040 and plugging in a 68060 results in
an instant upgrade!

DirecT40 is a MC68040 33/66 MHz Atari TT clone. DirecT60 is a MC68060 60MHz
Atari TT clone. DirecT40/T60 are housed in a PC style tower case which
allows for up to 5 - 5.25" devices and 3 - 3.5" internal drives. This means
that you will have plenty of room for SyQuest Drives, Tape BackUps, CD
Recorders and Players and any other device that would require an open front
drive bay plus you would still have room for up to three hard drives!

The open architecture design of the motherboard allows for interfacing with
the low cost and readily available PC peripherals such as EIDE hard disks,
SCSI hard disks, DD, HD, ED floppy disks, PCI and/or ISA ET4000 or Mach 64
graphics cards, SVGA/VGA Monitors, AT style keyboards and more! Adding
memory is as easy as popping in PS/2 SIMMS! 8 memory slots organized in 4 +
1 banks allow for expansion right up to 1 Gigabyte! Hey, who needs a hard
drive with a Gigabyte RAM disk!

All DirecT40/T60 enjoy the standard TT external ports, SCSI, Modem 1, Modem
2, LAN, MIDI in and MIDI out. For those who need cartridge port and ACSI
(DMA) port we will be offering in the near future the DirecT40/T60 Plus
which has a full ST compatible I/O card.

Technical Specifications:

Case:

Full size tower case with 6 - 5.25" open front bays (one is used for
floppy), 3 - 3.5" internal bays, 250 Watt power supply, dual fan
ventilation system, CSA / UL approved.

Dimensions: 620mm (H) x 190mm (W) x 455mm (D) Weight 2.5 Kg.

Installed Peripherals:

Keyboard: AT 101 key.
Floppy: 1 with DD, HD and ED compatibility.
Hard Drive: Quantum 850 Mb EIDE Hard Drive.
Memory: 4 Mb minimum, expandible to 1 Gigabyte via 8 slots, 72 pin (PS/2) SIMM.
Video: ISA bus ET4000 graphics card with 1 Mb DRAM and NVDI ET4000 driver,
Resolution: 640 x 480 x 16.7 Million Colours, 800 x 600 x 65K, 1024 x 768 x
256 and 1280 x 1024 x 16 colours.
(expandible to PCI bus ATI Mach 64 with up to 4 Mb VRAM.)

DirecT40 Technical data:

Processor: MC68040 33/66MHz
Processing Power: 29.5 MIPS
Comparison: TT030 - 7 MIPS Factor Increase: over 4x's
Falcon030 - 3.74 MIPS Factor Increase: over 7x's
ST - 1 MIP?? Factor Increase: over 29x's

DirecT60 Technical data:

Processor: MC68060 60MHz
Processing Power: 120 MIPS
Comparison: DirecT40 - 29.5 MIPS Factor Increase: over 4x's
TT030 - 7 MIPS Factor Increase: over 17x's
Falcon030 - 3.74 MIPS Factor Increase: over 32x's
ST - 1 MIP?? Factor Increase: over 120x's

MIPS is Millions of Instructions per second and is used to rate processing
power and speed.

Internal ports:

4 PCI-bus slots
2 ISA-bus slots
1 VME-bus slot
1 EIDE (enhanced IDE) with max. 10MB/s for 2 devices
1 SCSI with max. 4MB/s for 1-7 devices (TT compatible)
1 floppy (DD/HD/ED) d.h. max 2.88MB

External ports:

Modem 1 (25 pin Dsub-connector) with max. 19,200 baud
Modem 2 (9 pin Dsub-connector) with max. 250,000 baud
Local talk (8 pin Mini Din) with max. 250,000 baud
Printer 25 pin Dsub (TT/Falcon-compatible)
Midi-In/Out
PC keyboard connector (standard)
mouse and joystick (Atari compatible)

Pricing Information:

DirecT40:
The complete system, including medium height tower case, 68040 processor
with FPU, 4MB RAM, 850Mb hard drive, floppy drive, graphics card,
PC-keyboard and mouse is $3799.99 Cdn. or $2739.99 US. or less**. FOB
Edmonton.

DirecT60:
The complete system, including medium height tower case, 68040 processor
with FPU, 4MB RAM, 850Mb hard drive, floppy drive, graphics card,
PC-keyboard and mouse is $4499.99 Cdn. or $3239.99 US. or less**. FOB
Edmonton.

** Please Note, since these machines use standard PC/IBM compatible
peripherals, due to market conditions on these parts the actual street
price will vary, usually downward as the trends on these parts are
following this path currently. Check with us for daily pricing.

Dealer enquiries are welcomed.

Other configurations are available on request! Every DirecT40/T60 is custom
built by Computer Direct. This allows us to build the system that you want,
not the system somebody wants to sell you!

Compatibility:

DirecT40/T60 is fully compatible with all cleanly written GEM applications
that run on a stock TT. Software which accesses hardware directly will not
run. Some examples would be Warp 9 (VDI) and Software which requires TT
High, cartridge port and ACSI (DMA) port. DirecT40/T60 Plus motherboards
will overcome many of these problems due to the integrated ST I/O card
which contains the original Atari hardware. DirecT40 and T60 have been
tested extensively with the following software:

Please note: Products with known bugs on ST/TT are still listed as Yes,
these programs still exhibit these bugs on DirecT40/T60 but are just as
useable as on an ST/TT. Comments are added for some problem apps. Comments
followed by "*" refer to DirecT40/T60 Plus motherboards with ST I/O card.

Application Type Comments

7 up text editor yes
ACS development yes
Argon backup yes
ATARI Works 1.0 word pro, database, spreadsheet yes
Arabesque Pro 2 graphic yes
Avant Vektor vector tracer yes
Calamus SL DTP yes
Calligrapher word processor yes
Chagall demo yes
Charly Image graphic yes
Connect telecomms yes
Convector vector tracer yes
Crazy Sounds II utility yes
Cubase 3.x MIDI/music yes, only ST-high*
Cypress 1.5 word processor yes
DA's Layout TC desktop publisher yes
Da's Picture graphic yes
DA's Repro graphic yes
DA's Vector vector edit/trace yes
DA's Vector Pro vector edit/trace/animation yes
DeskPic Desktop picture yes
Digitape harddrive-sampler yes, no DSP-sound*
Diskus disk utility yes
DynaCADD CAD yes
Ease Desktop yes
Edison editor yes
Everest editor yes
Fractals graphic yes
Freeway database yes
Gemini Desktop yes
GEM-View graphic-converter yes
GEMRAM utility yes
GFA-Assembler language yes
GFA-Basic language yes
GFA-Compiler compiler yes
GT-Look scanner-software yes, set cookies like TT
HD Driver hard disk driver yes
Harlekin utility yes
In Touch Personal info Manager yes
Inshape demo raytracer yes
Interface RCS yes
Kadinsky vectorgraphic yes
Kobold copier yes
LHarc packer yes
Lazy-Shell packer-shell yes
Linux 68/k operating system yes
Maxidat database yes
Megapaint pro graphic program yes
Meta-DOS CD-ROM driver yes, but problems?
Midichord MIDI yes
Midnight screensaver yes
Morpher graphic yes, with FPU-Emulator
MIDIMAZE game yes, but inverted
Notator Logic MIDI/music yes, only ST-high*
NVDI ET-4000 screen accelerator yes
Outline Art vector edit/trace yes
Overlay graphic yes, without NVDI ET4000
Oxyd game yes
PageStream 2.x desktop publishing yes
Papillon graphic yes
Papyrus document processor yes
Phoenix database yes
Pixart graphic yes
Phase IV graphic yes
PhotoLine graphic yes
PKS-Edit editor yes
Poison virus finder yes
Positive Image graphic yes
POV-Ray Raytracer yes, with FPU-Emulator
Pure C language yes
Pure Pascal language yes
RSC RSC yes
ReproStudioPro image editor yes
Script text program yes
SCSI-Tools hard disk driver yes
Selectric file selector yes
StudioPhoto image editor yes
Signum III text program yes
Speedo 4&5 utility yes
ST-Zip packer yes
SysMon utility yes
Tempus-Word text program yes
TMS-Paint graphic yes
Beta-CranachStudio graphic yes
Beta-Compact graphic yes
Beta-Vektor graphic yes
TruePaint graphic yes
Turbo C language yes
Twilight screensaver yes, not all modules work
Twist database yes
Winx utility yes
XBoot utility yes
ZOO packer yes

Ordering and Quotations:

Computer Direct
10338-59 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada. T6H 1E6

Toll Free (US and Canada): 800-547-9203 (orders only please)

Tel: 403-496-2488 Fax: 403-496-2489

Internet: http://compdirect.com
e-mail: in...@compdirect.com

All the best,

Chris J. Krowchuk
President
Computer Direct

Computer Direct e-mail: in...@compdirect.com
10338-59 Avenue Info and Support:(403)496-2488
Edmonton, Alberta 24 Hour Fax Line:(403)496-2489
Canada. T6H 1E6 Toll Free Orders:(800)547-9203

Visit us on the Internet! http://www.compdirect.com

Carl Lofgren

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

Theo,

t> New 68060 / 68040 based TT Clones from Computer Direct are now available!

ARGH!! I want one! ;-)

c a r l l o f g r e n

Email: Carl.L...@abc.se

---
* Kivi 1.41a *

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

You got to be kidding.. $2800 for an 040 box and $3200 for an 060 box in 1996!
Does this include a monitor?

Whats so special about outdated ST software? $1899 buys a GateWay Pentium 133
system and PowerComputing PowerCenter PPC604 plus a software bundle..

What ever happened to Power with out the Price?

> ** Please Note, since these machines use standard PC/IBM compatible
> peripherals, due to market conditions on these parts the actual street
> price will vary, usually downward as the trends on these parts are
> following this path currently. Check with us for daily pricing.

In that case why are the prices outrageous?

> Dealer enquiries are welcomed.
>
> Other configurations are available on request! Every DirecT40/T60 is custom
> built by Computer Direct. This allows us to build the system that you want,
> not the system somebody wants to sell you!
>

> Compatibility:
>
> DirecT40/T60 is fully compatible with all cleanly written GEM applications
> that run on a stock TT. Software which accesses hardware directly will not
> run. Some examples would be Warp 9 (VDI) and Software which requires TT
> High, cartridge port and ACSI (DMA) port. DirecT40/T60 Plus motherboards
> will overcome many of these problems due to the integrated ST I/O card
> which contains the original Atari hardware. DirecT40 and T60 have been
> tested extensively with the following software:
>
> Please note: Products with known bugs on ST/TT are still listed as Yes,
> these programs still exhibit these bugs on DirecT40/T60 but are just as
> useable as on an ST/TT. Comments are added for some problem apps. Comments

Outdated software deleted...

> Ordering and Quotations:
>
> Computer Direct
> 10338-59 Avenue
> Edmonton, Alberta
> Canada. T6H 1E6
>
> Toll Free (US and Canada): 800-547-9203 (orders only please)
>
> Tel: 403-496-2488 Fax: 403-496-2489
>
> Internet: http://compdirect.com
> e-mail: in...@compdirect.com
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris J. Krowchuk
> President
> Computer Direct
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Computer Direct e-mail: in...@compdirect.com
> 10338-59 Avenue Info and Support:(403)496-2488
> Edmonton, Alberta 24 Hour Fax Line:(403)496-2489
> Canada. T6H 1E6 Toll Free Orders:(800)547-9203
>
> Visit us on the Internet! http://www.compdirect.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GREETINGS..
| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |
| University of Northern Iowa NEWTON 110 |
| Graduate School of Library Science |
| Rod Library - Systems & Technology |
| 1996 book of the year: Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot - Al Franken |
| Internet-demo...@webcom.com / Type 'subscribe' in body of message |
| Http://www.rockgarden.com/andy/ |

Hallvard Tangeraas

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

Peter Sinclair-Day (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:

[useless crap deleted here to save bandwidth]

>| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |

Ignore this guy! He's just out to cause aggrevation as he obviously has
nothing better to do. I'm not going to comment upon any of his crap and I
suggest you (the reader of this) don't either as that's exactly what he
wants us to do... what a looser!
Besides he hasn't learnt how to quote without keeping the whole posting!
Perhaps his editor isn't even an editor on his 'superior' non-Atari
system :-).

Hallvard
--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Greetings from Norway! -Land of the fjords and midnight sun

URL hyperlink-launchpad: http://www.sn.no/~hallvart/

Colin Bernau

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

In article <1996May26.0...@cobra.uni.edu>
sincl...@cobra.uni.edu (PETER SINCLAIR-DAY) said:-
Peter Sinclair-Day should have said "I have no life, very little brain, and
nothing better to do than annoy others. My purpose in life is to be a right
royal pain in the butt"(Here he sometimes succeeds, but is generally just
boring!)
The fact that he finds it important to list the fact that he uses a
Newton indicates Peter's preoccupation with unimportant, irrelevant trivia.
Next, I am sure, he will start to list his brands of toilet roll, toothpaste,
etc., and to extoll their virtues above all others.
FRANKLY, peter, WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!! POQ!!!
> >GREETINGS..
>|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |
>| University of Northern Iowa NEWTON 110 |
>| Graduate School of Library Science |
>| Rod Library - Systems & Technology |
>| 1996 book of the year: Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot - Al Franken |
>| Internet-demo...@webcom.com / Type 'subscribe' in body of message |
>| Http://www.rockgarden.com/andy/ |
>|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

__

G U I T A R I S T col...@tyndale.apana.org.au

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

In article <31a89ba...@sn.no>, hall...@sn.no (Hallvard Tangeraas) writes:
> Peter Sinclair-Day (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
>
> [useless crap deleted here to save bandwidth]
>

>>| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |
>
> Ignore this guy! He's just out to cause aggrevation as he obviously has
> nothing better to do. I'm not going to comment upon any of his crap and I
> suggest you (the reader of this) don't either as that's exactly what he
> wants us to do... what a looser!
> Besides he hasn't learnt how to quote without keeping the whole posting!
> Perhaps his editor isn't even an editor on his 'superior' non-Atari
> system :-).

Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars
for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.

> Hallvard
> --
> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
> Greetings from Norway! -Land of the fjords and midnight sun
>
> URL hyperlink-launchpad: http://www.sn.no/~hallvart/

GREETINGS..

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

In article <83315958...@tyndale.apana.org.au>, col...@tyndale.apana.org.au (Colin Bernau) writes:
> In article <1996May26.0...@cobra.uni.edu>
> sincl...@cobra.uni.edu (PETER SINCLAIR-DAY) said:-
> Peter Sinclair-Day should have said "I have no life, very little brain, and
> nothing better to do than annoy others. My purpose in life is to be a right
> royal pain in the butt"(Here he sometimes succeeds, but is generally just
> boring!)

Sounds like sour grapes on your part. I recall when Ataridroids would point out
that the Mac WAS overpriced and harped on it..

> The fact that he finds it important to list the fact that he uses a
> Newton indicates Peter's preoccupation with unimportant, irrelevant trivia.
> Next, I am sure, he will start to list his brands of toilet roll, toothpaste,
> etc., and to extoll their virtues above all others.
> FRANKLY, peter, WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!! POQ!!!

If you don't give a damn, why did you respond?

>> >GREETINGS..
>>|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>>| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |
>>| University of Northern Iowa NEWTON 110 |
>>| Graduate School of Library Science |
>>| Rod Library - Systems & Technology |
>>| 1996 book of the year: Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot - Al Franken |
>>| Internet-demo...@webcom.com / Type 'subscribe' in body of message |
>>| Http://www.rockgarden.com/andy/ |
>>|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> __

> G U I T A R I S T col...@tyndale.apana.org.au

Adrian Bridgett

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
> In article <31a89ba...@sn.no>, hall...@sn.no (Hallvard Tangeraas) writes:
> > Peter Sinclair-Day (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
> >
> > [useless crap deleted here to save bandwidth]
> >
> > Ignore this guy! He's just out to cause aggrevation as he obviously has
> > nothing better to do. I'm not going to comment upon any of his crap and I
> > suggest you (the reader of this) don't either as that's exactly what he
> > wants us to do... what a looser!
> Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars
> for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.
> [*even more* useless crap deleted here to save bandwidth]

Well we have some powermacs here and in actual use (even telnet sessions)
they are way, way, *way* slower than my old ST. Macs must have the most
inefficient OS in existence - even worse than DOS/Windows95. Their number
crunching ability is good, but they also crash as much as my ST - which
couldn't have memory protection as it only has a 68000! Bearing in mind
that you don't have anything useful to say, *get lost* or at least go to
.advocacy!

--
Adrian

Adrian Bridgett (ap...@cam.ac.uk)
Windows95 - the world's best-selling NON-operating system.

John Norton

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
: Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars

: for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.

Which Atari do you own? How do you like it? Are you an educator? Do
you participate in Apple Usenet newsgroups? Are you an Apple advocate?
Do you express your advocacy in a particular Apple newsgroup?

Dennis McGuire

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

On 26 May 1996, PETER SINCLAIR-DAY wrote:

> In article <31a89ba...@sn.no>, hall...@sn.no (Hallvard Tangeraas) writes:
> > Peter Sinclair-Day (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
> >
> > [useless crap deleted here to save bandwidth]
> >

> >>| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |
> >

> > Ignore this guy! He's just out to cause aggrevation as he obviously has
> > nothing better to do. I'm not going to comment upon any of his crap and I
> > suggest you (the reader of this) don't either as that's exactly what he
> > wants us to do... what a looser!

> > Besides he hasn't learnt how to quote without keeping the whole posting!
> > Perhaps his editor isn't even an editor on his 'superior' non-Atari
> > system :-).
>

> Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars
> for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.

Perhaps you're an asshole who's greatest achievement in life is
harassing other newgroup users! Go play with your close-out special
Newton 110!. Sinclap, living proof that even the Internet has hemorrhoids!!!

Brian-Roland Miller

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY <sincl...@cobra.uni.edu> writes:

>You got to be kidding.. $2800 for an 040 box and $3200 for an 060 box in 1996!
>Does this include a monitor?
>
>Whats so special about outdated ST software? $1899 buys a GateWay Pentium 133
>system and PowerComputing PowerCenter PPC604 plus a software bundle..
>
>What ever happened to Power with out the Price?

We want real computers, Peter. . . ones that don't break, ones whose warranties
mean something (unlike Apple), reliable machines (unlike Apple), from people
we can trust (unlike Apple and Gateway). We also don't like being chained
to a single producer of hardware, like Apple effeectively remains.
---
Power without the price still exists. Unfortunately, the greatest price we
have to pay is putting up with your off-topic blather.
---
Guess you got tired of the Amiga groups beating you up and came back for the
same treatment here, eh?
---
BR Miller
Boston, MA

Brian-Roland Miller

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY <sincl...@cobra.uni.edu> writes:

>Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars
>for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.

An unexpandable Mac box with no future and shoddy reliability, not to mention
outdated software and no future OS development. . .
---
Ouch, the truth hurts, doesn't it, Peter?

Phil Hough

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

These look just like the specs for the Hades and Medusa !!

What about the DSP ???

DSP IMHO is vital to a new computer... after all it will add backward
compatibility with the Falcon, which will become the standard atari
(after all not many people have 3200US$ to spend !!!).

It also allows processor intensive stuff to be done in parallel with
the CPU, even if you have 120MIPS it would save a re-write of software
just so that the CPU can act as a DSP emulator !

ATb.
__

Phil H

--------
email: ph...@phil4.demon.co.uk
PGP 2.6.3i Key Availabe On Request.
* a member of the VIRTUAL REALITY CREW, V V RRRR CCCC *
* creators of STF PD Game of the month, V V R R C *
* SKYDUEL - 92% and 2nd best PD game of V V RRRR C *
* 1995. email: v...@phil4.demon.co.uk VV R RR CCCC *
* or ftp: ftp.demon.co.uk \pub\atari\games\ ------------------ *

Col Bernau

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

>> In article <1996May26.0...@cobra.uni.edu>
>> sincl...@cobra.uni.edu (PETER SINCLAIR-DAY) said:-
>> Peter Sinclair-Day should have said "I have no life, very little brain, and
>> nothing better to do than annoy others. My purpose in life is to be a
>>right royal pain in the butt"
>

>> Next, I am sure, he will start to list his brands of toilet roll, toothpaste,
>> etc., and to extoll their virtues above all others.

I'm sorry. I have to retract the last statement. peter's conduct indicates
that he is unlikely to use either toilet paper or toothpaste!
Reflecting on his chosen name, "sinclap" one ponders:
sin - short for sinus
clap - a venereal disease
Does this indicate peter spends time with his dick up his nose? Possibly he
couldn't fit it in his mouth? There was probably too much crap in there to
fit!!

Daniel L. Dreibelbis

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

To: sincl...@cobra.uni.edu (PETER SINCLAIR-DAY)
Subject: Re: New TT clone
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

> The fact that he finds it important to list the fact that he
> uses a Newton indicates Peter's preoccupation with

> unimportant, irrelevant trivia. Next, I am sure, he will start

> to list his brands of toilet roll, toothpaste, etc., and to

> extoll their virtues above all others. FRANKLY, peter, WE

> DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!! POQ!!!

s > If you don't give a damn, why did you respond?

'Cause you're a weenie with no life?

This forum was actually pretty quiet since Roger The Sad
Sheppard was read the riot act by the New Zealand government for his
net abuse in comp.sys.atari.st. Please refrain from bringing back
the type of non-objective, abusive, "my computer is better than your
computer = I do so have a bigger one than you do" that Roger was
wont to wibble on about - it's not welcome here, and does nothing to
further the lot of Atari users, who are just simply trying to get on
in an admittedly Micro$oft/Bi66 6ates-driven world, and need to help
each other out in any way we can.

It may come as a surprise to you, Sinclap, that some of us
PREFER to stick to this platform. And why not? To us, we can get a
lot done on a system that DOESN'T require excessive hardware
overhead, including your beloved Macs (no slur meant to Macintosh,
as it's my second choice of platform). The fact is, there's still
computers being made, there's STILL software support, and there's
STILL people using the computers already out there. You wouldn't
believe it here in Canada, where used Ataris are actively sought out
by first-time computer buyers because of their reputation as a
non-hyped, no-nonsense computer platform that gets things done.

We're here - and we're not going to dry up and blow away, as
you're eventually going to when you discover that you're screaming
in a vacuum here. You are a virtual joke, Sinclap - go away.

>>1996 book of the year: Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot - Al
Franken

Now there's something we CAN agree on :)

... You're obviously suffering from delusions of ADEQUACY!
___ Mountain Reader II - #00000007

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

In article <xxAPy9I....@delphi.com>, Brian-Roland Miller <brim...@delphi.com> writes:

> PETER SINCLAIR-DAY <sincl...@cobra.uni.edu> writes:
>
>>You got to be kidding.. $2800 for an 040 box and $3200 for an 060 box in 1996!
>>Does this include a monitor?
>>
>>Whats so special about outdated ST software? $1899 buys a GateWay Pentium 133
>>system and PowerComputing PowerCenter PPC604 plus a software bundle..
>>
>>What ever happened to Power with out the Price?
>
> We want real computers, Peter. . . ones that don't break, ones whose warranties
> mean something (unlike Apple), reliable machines (unlike Apple), from people
> we can trust (unlike Apple and Gateway). We also don't like being chained
> to a single producer of hardware, like Apple effeectively remains.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Apple's warranty is hell alot better than the one by
the ST clone maker such as on site repairs.. Oh, you have must been
moonlighting recently considering there is more than two producers of the Mac
OS.

> ---
> Power without the price still exists. Unfortunately, the greatest price we
> have to pay is putting up with your off-topic blather.
> ---
> Guess you got tired of the Amiga groups beating you up and came back for the
> same treatment here, eh?

> ---
> BR Miller
> Boston, MA

GREETINGS..

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

In article <5TJOSND....@delphi.com>, Brian-Roland Miller <brim...@delphi.com> writes:
> PETER SINCLAIR-DAY <sincl...@cobra.uni.edu> writes:
>
>>Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars
>>for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.
>
> An unexpandable Mac box with no future and shoddy reliability, not to mention
> outdated software and no future OS development. . .

The Mac is plenty expandable. Which model are you referring to? My 7100/80 is
solid like a tank, thank you. Outdated software? HA HA HA HA! It's quite sad
when many of the Apple II apps are more useful than the ST ones..Thats what you
call pathetic. And no future OS development? Ha ha ha ha, you must be out of
the loop. Opendoc, cyberdog and quicktime vr...

> ---
> Ouch, the truth hurts, doesn't it, Peter?

Ha ha ha.. What truth? Thats denial on your part BR!

> ---
> BR Miller
> Boston, MA

GREETINGS..

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

In article <4oeu09$i...@zap.io.org>, dre...@zap.io.org (Daniel L. Dreibelbis) writes:
> To: sincl...@cobra.uni.edu (PETER SINCLAIR-DAY)
> Subject: Re: New TT clone
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
>
>> The fact that he finds it important to list the fact that he
>> uses a Newton indicates Peter's preoccupation with
>> unimportant, irrelevant trivia. Next, I am sure, he will start
>> to list his brands of toilet roll, toothpaste, etc., and to
>> extoll their virtues above all others. FRANKLY, peter, WE
>> DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!! POQ!!!
>
> s > If you don't give a damn, why did you respond?
>
> 'Cause you're a weenie with no life?
>
> This forum was actually pretty quiet since Roger The Sad
> Sheppard was read the riot act by the New Zealand government for his
> net abuse in comp.sys.atari.st. Please refrain from bringing back
> the type of non-objective, abusive, "my computer is better than your
> computer = I do so have a bigger one than you do" that Roger was
> wont to wibble on about - it's not welcome here, and does nothing to
> further the lot of Atari users, who are just simply trying to get on
> in an admittedly Micro$oft/Bi66 6ates-driven world, and need to help
> each other out in any way we can.

True..The microsoft driven world is a disease with no cure in sight.

> It may come as a surprise to you, Sinclap, that some of us
> PREFER to stick to this platform. And why not? To us, we can get a
> lot done on a system that DOESN'T require excessive hardware
> overhead, including your beloved Macs (no slur meant to Macintosh,
> as it's my second choice of platform). The fact is, there's still
> computers being made, there's STILL software support, and there's
> STILL people using the computers already out there. You wouldn't
> believe it here in Canada, where used Ataris are actively sought out
> by first-time computer buyers because of their reputation as a
> non-hyped, no-nonsense computer platform that gets things done.
>
> We're here - and we're not going to dry up and blow away, as
> you're eventually going to when you discover that you're screaming
> in a vacuum here. You are a virtual joke, Sinclap - go away.

So why doesn't one port the Atari OS to the PowerPC. LERP should be released
to the clone firms in September that will provide for high power boxes using
off the shelf parts by early '97' that can run more than one OS at a
significant reduction in cost. If you have a browser read the latest at
MacWeek.com/

>>>1996 book of the year: Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot - Al
> Franken
>

> Now there's something we CAN agree on :)

There is hope.

> ... You're obviously suffering from delusions of ADEQUACY!

Nope. I have all the pills I can handle:)..

> ___ Mountain Reader II - #00000007

GREETINGS..

John Norton

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:

: GREETINGS..

I have asked Mr Sinclair-Day if he is an educator. I would like to help
him with some of the educational issues that he has raised from the
propective of a parent. He has not responded as yet. I have only three
or four hours each week set aside to work on computer projects. I can't
understand how a person can spend so much time on computer issues that
don't directly involve using their computer at home or the one issued
them at work. He does not appear to be an educator because there is a
lack of didaticism is his arguments. Teachers and those in associated
fields usually have a very good grasp of this tool as they have to deal
with the occasional recalcitrant student. He is decidedly NOT a computer
person as he does not use the power of computer or manual word processing
(grammer, syntax and spelling) and the tools associated with pine or the
other e-mail processors. I know several educators who would take great
umbrage at his remarks about the profession of education. This is
simply not done within such an adversarial context. That alone would
indicate that he in not an educator. I almost have to believe that he
happened upon these Usenet newsgroups, replied or posted a few hasty
observations and now is "caught up" in the heat that he has created and
can't find his way out of the kitchen. Maybe we should lighted up on him
a little and gently show him a way out of this electronic morass that he
has created for himself. I know that most people are basically "good"
(whatever that means!) and he would (at the very least) agree with that
observation. Agreeing with this, he might graciously accept a helping
hand from fellow computer users.

John Perez

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:

: You got to be kidding.. $2800 for an 040 box and $3200 for an 060 box in 1996!

: Does this include a monitor?

: Whats so special about outdated ST software? $1899 buys a GateWay Pentium 133
: system and PowerComputing PowerCenter PPC604 plus a software bundle..

: What ever happened to Power with out the Price?

Clearly it never occurred to you that an 040 based TOS machine will
certainly run circles around an 040 based Mac. I've used an 040 Mac, and
it wasn't pretty - in fact, it was about as quick as a 512k TOS 1.0 520ST
in actual use.

I suppose that you'll never know the experience of an operating system
that is free from excessive size and processing power overhead. Macs and
PCs are "memory-hoggin', disk-accessing fools". Funny how the hard disk
on my Atari computer is only accessed when I tell it to (i.e. loading a
program or saving a file) when PCs and Macs rely so heavily on virtual
memory and disk based operating systems that performance goes to hell.

I like Macs, but until the OS goes on a serious diet, I'll stick to a
system that responds quickly, my Atari, that is. Otherwise, I'll wager
that a MedusaT60 or DirecT60 performs in ways that you simply cannot
comprehend.

Keep your short-sightedness to yourself, eh? I imagine there are few in
the Atari newsgroups that benefit from your attitude.

Aloha,

John Perez/The Borg
jpe...@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
UH School of Nursing Computer Specialist
President - Atari Computer Enthusiasts of Hawaii (ACE-HI)
Falcon030PDFX/Rack - 2600 - Lynx II - Jaguar/CD - 400/800/130 XE

Tom Lamparty

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

Check out MagiC_PC, it's an Atari ST compatible operating system for the
IBM and Clone line of computers! Also have MagiC_Mac for the Mac and
Power Mac line! You have been away for a while!

On 28 May 1996, PETER SINCLAIR-DAY wrote:

> So why doesn't one port the Atari OS to the PowerPC. LERP should be released
> to the clone firms in September that will provide for high power boxes using
> off the shelf parts by early '97' that can run more than one OS at a
> significant reduction in cost. If you have a browser read the latest at
> MacWeek.com/

Tom Lamparty lamp...@telerama.lm.com|Sysop NEOSTAG BBS (216)792-2580
4Meg 16Mhz 1040STe 325MHD 14.4K Modem|24hrs 14.4kbps V32 SupraFaxModem
Sec./Treas. NEOSTAG |PD/Shareware/Advice/Help
North East Ohio ST Atari Group |Support board for Dr. Bobware

Graham Beint

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY completely misses the point again with his senile musings which included:

> So why doesn't one port the Atari OS to the PowerPC. LERP should be released
> to the clone firms in September that will provide for high power boxes using
> off the shelf parts by early '97' that can run more than one OS at a
> significant reduction in cost. If you have a browser read the latest at
> MacWeek.com/

There are Gemulator, Janus, STonX, MagicMac and now MagicPC.

I use Atari h/w because I choose to.

I suppose you think digital watches are cool. Were you a telephone sanitiser
in a previous existence? Or were you one of the others?

--
Graham Beint

*The.Co...@Alpha.Complex:"Trust The Computer! The Computer is Your Friend!"*

Paul Coene

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY wrote:

bla bla bla

Take this discussion out of this newsgroup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It doesn't belong here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

PETER SINCLAIR-DAY

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

In article <Ds4uw...@news.hawaii.edu>, jpe...@Hawaii.Edu (John Perez) writes:
> PETER SINCLAIR-DAY (sincl...@cobra.uni.edu) wrote:
>
> : You got to be kidding.. $2800 for an 040 box and $3200 for an 060 box in 1996!

> : Does this include a monitor?
>
> : Whats so special about outdated ST software? $1899 buys a GateWay Pentium 133
> : system and PowerComputing PowerCenter PPC604 plus a software bundle..
>
> : What ever happened to Power with out the Price?
>
> Clearly it never occurred to you that an 040 based TOS machine will
> certainly run circles around an 040 based Mac. I've used an 040 Mac, and
> it wasn't pretty - in fact, it was about as quick as a 512k TOS 1.0 520ST
> in actual use.

Yea...And the ST is running similar apps.. I sure hope so that $3000 040 TOS
machines will run circles around below $800 040 Mac machines that Apple no
longer manufactures!

> I suppose that you'll never know the experience of an operating system
> that is free from excessive size and processing power overhead. Macs and
> PCs are "memory-hoggin', disk-accessing fools". Funny how the hard disk
> on my Atari computer is only accessed when I tell it to (i.e. loading a
> program or saving a file) when PCs and Macs rely so heavily on virtual
> memory and disk based operating systems that performance goes to hell.

Yea those memory hogging OS's do more and costs less..If you want to be stuck
with an OS that has not progressed in a decade you don't need anything higher
than the 040!

It's sad that a 24 meg PPC 604 PowerMac is still below the the price of the 040
TOS buckle. So the memory issue is moot.

Is Java and other internet tools being integrated into TOS? If not, a serious
competitive disadvantage and the consumers will turn thier nose..

> I like Macs, but until the OS goes on a serious diet, I'll stick to a
> system that responds quickly, my Atari, that is. Otherwise, I'll wager
> that a MedusaT60 or DirecT60 performs in ways that you simply cannot
> comprehend.

But your OS does less and has stayed still.

> Keep your short-sightedness to yourself, eh? I imagine there are few in
> the Atari newsgroups that benefit from your attitude.
>
> Aloha,
>
> John Perez/The Borg
> jpe...@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
> UH School of Nursing Computer Specialist
> President - Atari Computer Enthusiasts of Hawaii (ACE-HI)
> Falcon030PDFX/Rack - 2600 - Lynx II - Jaguar/CD - 400/800/130 XE

I see you attend Hawaii.edu ....Say hello to my bro, a grad student at Univ. of
Hawaii.

GREETINGS..
| Peter Sinclair-Day POWER MACINTOSH 7100/80 |
| University of Northern Iowa |
| |

| Internet-demo...@webcom.com / Type 'subscribe' in body of message |

Joe Kearney

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

Brian-Roland Miller <brim...@delphi.com> wrote:

>>Perhaps I am to lazy to edit. Its amazing one would spend that kind of dollars
>>for an 040 box that costs below a grand in the Mac market.
>
>An unexpandable Mac box with no future and shoddy reliability, not to mention
>outdated software and no future OS development. . .

>---
>Ouch, the truth hurts, doesn't it, Peter?

(I really hate to add feul to this fire...but...)

Mr. BR, your ass is hanging way out of your shorts on this one. We
all appreciate (we = current Atari enthusiasts, or perhaps just
myself...dunno) Atari advocacy to some extent, but pull your pants up
you rediculous zealot!

Your description of the Mac describes my current view (perhaps with
exception to the reliability issue) of Atari computers in general.

Your credibility as an Atari champion just went down the toilet as far
as Im concerned.

See ya, Joe

Carl Lofgren

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

s> The Mac is plenty expandable. Which model are you referring to? My
s> solid like a tank, thank you. Outdated software? HA HA HA HA! It's quite
s> when many of the Apple II apps are more useful than the ST ones..Thats what
s> call pathetic. And no future OS development? Ha ha ha ha, you must be out
s> the loop. Opendoc, cyberdog and quicktime vr...

I don't want to interupt your intelligent discussion here, but just
for a second. Ask yourself 'WHAT'S A COMPUTER?'. If you're clever
enough (which I don't doubt) you'll probably come up with something
similar to 'A COMPUTER IS A TOOL', rather than 'A COMPUTER IS A TOY'.
Right?

Personally, I use my computer to write music, do some wordprocessing,
and stay in touch with my pals on the internet. In my case, I have a
wealth of highly useable software (in fact more than I actually need)
to solve my needs. My Atari helps me beeing productive. That's it. I
know that the Mac also have excellent software, but I and many many
others are quite satisfied with what we've got.

What I want to say is, that these discussions are nothing but
worthless. You won't buy an Atari, and I won't buy a Mac. I don't
care, and you don't care.

I don't care what kind of computer people use. It's WHAT they are used
for, that's important.

c a r l l o f g r e n - r e d f i s h p r o d u c t i o n s

Email: Carl.L...@abc.se

Daniel L. Dreibelbis

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

To: sincl...@cobra.uni.edu (PETER SINCLAIR-DAY)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

s > So why doesn't one port the Atari OS to the PowerPC. LERP
s > should be released to the clone firms in September that will
s > provide for high power boxes using off the shelf parts by
s > early '97' that can run more than one OS at a significant
s > reduction in cost. If you have a browser read the latest at
s > MacWeek.com/

there already IS one - MagicMac by Application Systems
Heidelberg, an incredible alternate operating system that runs Atari
application software on any Macintosh system with System 7 -
including PowerPC systems. I installed the demo on a PowerMac 7100
at my brother's work and it runs quite well - and fast. (It also got
a lot of notice from my brother's co-workers, who were quite
amazed).

I suggest you point your web browser at www.toad.net and get the
news on this - you can even download the latest demo :)

... "Time's fun when you're having flies." -- Kermit the Frog

Hallvard Tangeraas

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Carl Lofgren (m9...@abc.se) wrote:

[...]

>What I want to say is, that these discussions are nothing but
>worthless. You won't buy an Atari, and I won't buy a Mac. I don't
>care, and you don't care.
>
>I don't care what kind of computer people use. It's WHAT they are used
>for, that's important.

Bravo!!! Well said!
So, I guess this concludes this discussion, eh?
Let's just ignore this Sinclap guy, OK?

This group must be one of the most friendly and pleasant groups to read
(just about everybody asking a question here gets an answer (or more)
without being flamed. Sinclap obviously has nothing better to do than annoy
people- let's not ruin the good atmosphere in this group by getting all
worked up because of his brainless comments.
Just ignore him.

Spencer Davies

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

Out of the ether, the following was mentioned by sincl...@cobra.uni.edu...:

s> solid like a tank, thank you. Outdated software? HA HA HA HA! It's

s> quite sad

s> when many of the Apple II apps are more useful than the ST ones..Thats

s> what you

s> call pathetic. And no future OS development? Ha ha ha ha, you must

s> be out of

s> the loop. Opendoc, cyberdog and quicktime vr...

Pete,

Why should everyone march to the same banner, we are not, afterall, all
mindless drones. We do have a right to a freedom in that which we do so long
as it does not hurt those around us!

Ok so we did not all choose Apple or IBM, does that make us any worse than
those who did?

I realise you get off on annoying people who could not strike back any more
than verbally, much like paedophiles who enjoy hurting children who are
unable to defend themselves.

You are not appreciated here, so why persist in this juvenile crusade against
those who do not worship at the foot of the Cupertino temple?

Why not go pick on others, like those PC owners you used to love to deride
for their choice of machine, or is it because you are so spineless that
you're worried they might respond with arguments you cannot hope to coun

Pete, i've used and owned most machines including a Quadra 840av and PC but I
still use an Atari and enjoy the community spirit that has built up around
this machine. It is obvious the Apple arena is lacking in such spirit if it
has golems such as yourself using and backing it.

Please desist from spreading your drivel in here, it only serves to show and
enforce your own misgivings at your chosen computing platform!

I'm sure Carl Jung would have something to say about your rantings, just a
shame that he isn't about to analyse them, he would definately find them
interesting.

Spencer

spe...@mettav.demon.co.uk

| The Tavern BBS Gateway 300-31200 V42Bis 44-(0)181-445-6514 24 Hrs |

Carl Lofgren

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

h> >What I want to say is, that these discussions are nothing but
h> >worthless. You won't buy an Atari, and I won't buy a Mac. I don't
h> >care, and you don't care.
h> >
h> >I don't care what kind of computer people use. It's WHAT they are used
h> >for, that's important.
h>
h> Bravo!!! Well said!
h> So, I guess this concludes this discussion, eh?
h> Let's just ignore this Sinclap guy, OK?

Yes. I guess it's the only way to get rid of him.

Ian Braby

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Peter,

Why such *outrageously* long quotes, if you are only commenting on parts
of the message - it's very tedious reading through stuff that you have
already read before! Fine - illustrate your comments with highlights from
the original, but don't dump the whole thing in your reply!

Ian

Ian Braby

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Hallvard,

I agree with you regarding the quotes, but that doesn't necessarily rubbish
his whole message!

Ian

JEDI

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article , i...@cix.compulink.co.uk says...

>Hallvard,
>
>I agree with you regarding the quotes, but that doesn't necessarily rubbish
>his whole message!

Nah... it just means that the great many of us that don't wish to go to great
efforts to read such messages... and ignore them...

Mr. Maddog

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Ian Braby wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Why such *outrageously* long quotes, if you are only commenting on parts
> of the message - it's very tedious reading through stuff that you have

You think that his wonderful Power Mac that he "brags" about would have a
Cut and Paste feature. I can see it now, "Hey I didn't know they were
there, and it's in ALL my Mac applications under Edit!" :)

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog