Geneva/NeoDesk 4 don't like Papyrus/AtariWorks?

Brian-Roland Miller

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva. When loading
Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a document window, the window partially
draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.
---
In AtariWorks, I get sporadic operation. If I have a document that contains
several fonts, and I attempt to open the font panel to select a new font,
everything's OK. However, if I am in a new document, or a document with
only one font, any attempt to open the font panel renders an empty panel
and system lockup requiring reboot.
---
Is the problem in Geneva? Speedo 4.1?
---
BR Miller
Boston, MA

Martin Byttebier

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
In article <5pMoHbE....@delphi.com>
Brian-Roland Miller <brim...@delphi.com> said:-

>I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva. When loading
>Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a document window, the window partially
>draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.

IMHO I think you must search the faulth in Speedo 4.1.
I've just tried a Papyrus 4 demo version under
Geneva/Neodesk4/Mint/NVDI 3.01. It seems that it works ok.

Martin
__

***************************************
* On the seventh day He created Atari *
***** Martin.B...@ping.be ********
***************************

Jo Even Skarstein

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
Brian-Roland Miller (brim...@delphi.com) wrote:
: I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva. When loading

: Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a document window, the window partially
: draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.

Papyrus 3 won't work with Geneva 2 or 3. I don't have Geneva 4, but I have the
demo-version, and I have no problems running Papyrus.

--

Jo Even Skarstein
jo...@stud.unit.no

afn1...@freenet.ufl.edu

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96

GENEVA/NEODESK 4 DON'T LIKE PAPYRUS/ATARIWORKS?

From: Brian-Roland Miller <brim...@delphi.com>
Reply to: Brian-Roland Miller
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 96 03:15:00 -0500
Newsgroups:
comp.sys.atari.st
Reply to: newsgroup(s)

I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva. When loading
Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a document window, the window partially
draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.

---
In AtariWorks, I get sporadic operation. If I have a document that contains
several fonts, and I attempt to open the font panel to select a new font,
everything's OK. However, if I am in a new document, or a document with
only one font, any attempt to open the font panel renders an empty panel
and system lockup requiring reboot.
---
Is the problem in Geneva? Speedo 4.1?
---
BR Miller
Boston, MA

Briam, I use Geneva4/Neodesk4 and run al the time Atari Works
with NVDI3 or Speedo 4 and I never hd any problems.

One important thing to remamber is to configure the memory flags
under Genava to make sure that the programs you are running don't
take all the available memory. These flags under the task manager
are very easy to set.

The other question is How much RAM you have in your computer?

Both Genava/Neodesk are very fine programs and I have even run
Multiple GEM programs with SoftPC DOS programs without
trouble.

Experiment with the managers flags and I am sure it will work.

I hope this helps. Raymond

PS. Geneva also run very well when I had 4 megs of RAM.

Christian Nieber

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <4ldf2e$8...@due.unit.no>,
Jo Even Skarstein <jo...@stud.unit.no> wrote:
>Brian-Roland Miller (brim...@delphi.com) wrote:
>: I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva. When loading

>: Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a document window, the window partially
>: draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.
>
>Papyrus 3 won't work with Geneva 2 or 3. I don't have Geneva 4, but I have the
>demo-version, and I have no problems running Papyrus.

More precisely, I built fixes for a few problems with Geneva into Papyrus since
version 3.60. You'll need an update of Papyrus, though older Papyrus versions may
work with Geneva 4.

Christian Nieber +-----------------+
email ch...@buran.fb10.tu-berlin.de | Always plan ahea|
R.O.M. logicware, the Home of Papyrus |________________d|
Raschdorffstr. 99, D-13409 Berlin | |
Tel. ++49/30/4999 73 73, FAX -72 | |

Katherine L Ellis

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
Hi, Your problem was pretty interesting, so I reinstall my old speedogdos4.1
on the same configuration as yours. I just try it, to help you because I
never had those problems. Anyway..

Effectively I found the same problems as you said for Atari works.
Reponse: get NVDI, It is the best thing you can do for your computer, I
admit , it a little bit expensive, ($89) but you'll be very happy.

And about Papyrus I really don't know because I tried only with the demo
version , and it worked perfectly. So , I can't help you.
BTW, do you know that you can get free upgrades until neo4 release 5 ?
Bye.
http://home.mtholyoke.edu/~kellis

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Brian-Roland Miller wrote:

> Date: Sun, 21 APR 96 03:15:00 -0500
> From: Brian-Roland Miller <brim...@delphi.com>
> Newgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
> Subject: Geneva/NeoDesk 4 don't like Papyrus/AtariWorks?

> I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva. When loading
> Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a document window, the window partially
> draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.

Brian-Roland Miller

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Katherine L Ellis <kel...@mtholyoke.edu> writes:

>Hi, Your problem was pretty interesting, so I reinstall my old speedogdos4.1
>on the same configuration as yours. I just try it, to help you because I
>never had those problems. Anyway..

Wow, that's some dedication to a fellow user, thanks! :')
---

> Effectively I found the same problems as you said for Atari works.
>Reponse: get NVDI, It is the best thing you can do for your computer, I
>admit , it a little bit expensive, ($89) but you'll be very happy.

For those of you experiencing a problem, I have found a "half-assed" fix. . .
I found that documents I had written under TOS 4.04 (before switching to
Geneva) displayed fine, and allowed me to switch fonts. If you want a
"quick fix" to your problem with AW, without buying NVDI (I think I will,
though), try this:
---
Under normal TOS, write a document that contains text, formatted with
each individual font). It should look something like this:
-
Swiss Bold (in Swiss bold)
-
Dutch 801 Bold Italic (in D 801 BI)
-
etc.
---
Save it as a word processing document.
---
Reboot the computer using Geneva.
---
Load AtariWorks, and load your new document up.
---
Now open the font box. Wow! It works!
---
Now open your new WP, Spreadsheet, or database and font away!
---
You'll get an occasional slowdown, but I have yet to get a crash.
---
As for Papyrus & Geneva, Speedo 4.1 isn't the problem. Apparently, the
version of Papyrus I have doesn't get along with Geneva. I'll be calling
Oregon Research shortly to see if a patch is available. I don't want to
have to buy a whole new word processor just to run under Geneva. I'll
let you know if anything develops.

Ian Braby

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Christian,

Sorry to break in on this thread but I couldn't pass up the opportunity
of speaking to the author of Papyrus directly!

Firstly, thanks for a GREAT program!

Secondly, and the reason for butting in, I have had some consistent
problems with Papyrus and the STraight FAX! drivers. I've tried to get a
response from Charles Smeton (and HiSoft), but to no avail, so perhaps you
can shed some light on this?

I have been unable to upgrade from v3.57 to v3.64 because of the use I make
of Papyrus to produce faxes.

I have also been unable to make use of Charles' STraight FAX! printer
drivers and module.

The facts are these:

From within v3.57 I can print great faxes using the SpeedoGDOS STraight FAX!
driver @ driver 22. If I try and use the Papyrus STraight FAX! driver I
get an alert which says:
"Part of the page lies outside the printable area for this printer (top
-2367677mm, bottom 6mm) and may not be printed" [Cancel] [CONTINUE]

If you [Continue] then a blank page is generated.

From within v3.64, if I try and use GDOS printer 22 (as above) I get an
alert which says:
"The document almost disappears in the printer margins! Labels and other
smaller formats should be printed on fanfold paper" [CANCEL] [Continue]

If you [Continue] the "printing" dialog flashes on the screen and no file
is generated.

From within v3.64, if I try and use the STraight FAX! driver, the following
alert appears:
"Part of the page lies outside the printable area for this printer (top
-2367677mm, bottom 0mm) and may not be printed" [Cancel] [CONTINUE]

If you [Continue] then the following alert appears:
"The document almost disappears in the printer margins! Labels and other
smaller formats should be printed on fanfold paper" [CANCEL] [Continue]

Continuing is the same as for GDOS driver 22.

So, I am back to v3.57 and eagerly awaiting v4 in English. But, in the
meantime, if you have a solution, I'd be *very* interested.

Christian Nieber

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

[Problems with Papyrus and STraightFax]

--> email

Paul Muehlbauer

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

> : I'm running Speedo 4.1 along with NeoDesk 4 and Geneva.

> When loading : Papyrus, every time I attempt to open a
> document window, the window partially
> draws, and the system locks up, without ever loading the document.

I would suspect Speedo 4.1. If possible, upgrade to Speedo 5.0c. Or,
NVDI works. I'm not running Neo/Geneva tho, so my advice might be
worth what you paid for it! :)

By the way, stay away from any other 5.0x versions of Speedo - I had
_serious_ problems with 5.0b in my system. 5.0c cleared everything
up! And then, of course, I switched to NVDI... You know how that is.

CN> More precisely, I built fixes for a few problems with Geneva
CN> into Papyrus since version 3.60. You'll need an update of
CN> Papyrus, though older Papyrus versions may work with Geneva 4.

Hey, a software author! Nice job on Papyrus!!! I've got v3.66 over
here in USA. I searched long & hard for a good word processor -
Papyrus combines the good printer output of AtariWorks with most of
the features (and more user friendly than) Calligrapher. Thanks!
Wish list: Copy/duplicate text blocks & graphic elements.

___ Mountain Reader II - #M_READER
--------------- -//- ----------------
Internet: Paul.Mu...@flight.org
note: the views expressed by this
user are strictly his/her own.

Paul Muehlbauer

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

Andre Leistner

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

In Msg A12241@B, Paul Muehlbauer (Paul.Mu...@flight.org) wrote:

>Wish list: Copy/duplicate text blocks

Well, papyrus has got the usual Cut/Copy/Paste menu entries. Just mark a text
block, copy it (Control-C), and paste it wherever you want (Control-V). The
other way is to mark a text block and then dragging it with the mouse to its
destination while holding the Shift key (if you don't hold the Shift key the
block will be moved not copied).

>& graphic elements.

Before moving them press the Shift key and keep holding it down. You will get a
copy of the element then.

-andre

--
Andre Leistner -- materials science / polymer physics student
No mail >16 KByte please. Send larger mails to alpl...@sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de.