SM144

V.G.J.M. Stoks

Apr 10, 1992, 6:58:41 AM4/10/92
Hello,

What about this new SM144? Is it any good? Should I wait for the newer
SM146 to arrive in the shops? Anybody tried it with Overscan or
PixelWonder?

Thanks for any replies,
Sander SToks
vi...@pomeron.sci.kun.nl

William Rosenkranz

Apr 10, 1992, 3:46:02 PM4/10/92
In article <1992Apr10....@sci.kun.nl> vi...@sci.kun.nl (V.G.J.M. Stoks) writes:
>What about this new SM144? Is it any good? Should I wait for the newer
>SM146 to arrive in the shops? Anybody tried it with Overscan or
>PixelWonder?

i don't know about these, but just an hour or so ago i drove over to Toad
and picked up an SM147 mono monitor (they told me my beloved SM124 is not
made any more...WAAAHHH!).

the '147 appears to be a mono super VGA monitor (that's what the manual it
comes with sez). it is 640x400 with about a 245x170 mm display area (measured)
or about 11.75 inch diagonal image. this makes it about 10-15% larger image
(not more pixels, just bigger). the image takes up all but about a 1/4 inch
margin on the screen. the manual calls it a 14-inch Super VGA monochrome
monitor and i think it was really written for PC or PS/2 users. it has an
atari logo on the monitor, however. i don't know how they come up with 14"
though.

big minus is there is no sound at all. i suppose there is a solution, but
i don't know it nor do i need it particularly.

the brightness and contrast controls are at the front as is the power sw.
the back has knobs for V-SIZE (expand/contract vertical) and H-PHASE (hor
image position) control and screw pots for sub-brightness and focus. mine
needed minor focus adjustment. having all these controls accessible without
openning the unit is a plus.

when i saw it in the store, the image jittered, but at home it seems fine.
they told me it was probably local electromagntic fields. ok. i only saw
the desktop for 10 seconds (go right for gulam :-) but it seemed ok.

the image is not quite as crisp (i can't do side-by-side since my 124 died
finally) but it is not too bad for text. the right side of the screen seems
slightly darker than the left (it just might need some adjustment). black on
paper white (and it is white tho it had a green tinge in the showroom under
fluorescent lights). at home under incandescent it is fine.

i tried my mgif program with it to view some GIF images and it did not seem
quite as good, but not that bad either. could just be my particular choice
of images, so i'll try some others that i remember more vividly.

it comes with a swivel stand, but i just put it on top of my "stack" with
no base since this is the proper viewing angle for me. there is about 3/16"
clearance under the monitor so some air can get under. i raised it with an
additional 1/4" of spacers anyway to get more air to the Megafile60 it sits
on.

i shelled out about $198 for it (with MD tax). i think the price with a
trade in is around $125 or so.

so far i like it. the image is larger and the picture is very good (i rate
the SM124 as "excellent" tho small). anything is better than med rez anyway
if all you do is sit in front of a vt100 for 10 hours a day. no sound is
a bummer, but i am getting used to it.

oh, the case is med-dark gray (does not match the mega4 or 1040 case color),
if that matters...

-bill
rose...@convex.com
--
Bill Rosenkranz |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp. |ARPA: rose...@convex.com