UK Midland Games Library

Gareth

Sep 25, 2004, 5:37:07 AM9/25/04
Just out of curiosity - does anyone remember the UK postal membership
lending library of the 80s early 90s?

Gareth.

mathu

Sep 25, 2004, 5:32:14 PM9/25/04
Yes I remember renting games of them,And using my 1050 happy to copy the
disks(oh the good old days).
The name of the library I can not remember.

Gareth wrote in message
<41553b29$0$82226$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...

mathu

Sep 26, 2004, 6:59:28 AM9/26/04
Hi Again,
A name as come to mind I could be wrong but....... Charnwood
Games??!!..........

David.

Gareth wrote in message
<41553b29$0$82226$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...

Gareth

Sep 26, 2004, 8:54:04 AM9/26/04

"mathu" <ma...@indigo.ie> wrote in message

> Hi Again,
> A name as come to mind I could be wrong but....... Charnwood
> Games??!!..........

The one I was thinking of was actually called the Midland Games Library and
they had a *huge* stock of games (including multiple copies) and almost all
new releases - on disk, cart and cassette.

There was another one which used to advertise quite a but which I never
used - Charnwood doesn't ring a bell though.

Gareth.

carmel

Oct 6, 2004, 12:27:50 PM10/6/04
They used to advertise in AU and Page six... I also remember Gladdin House

Richard Gore

Oct 17, 2004, 8:33:18 AM10/17/04
I certainly remember it, never joined it but received the catalogue. I also
believe they sold software too. Just imagine all those hundreds of games are
still at around somewhere, provided they haven't been dumped in a skip.

Talking of skips, I remember many years ago somebody finding loads of
software dumped in a skip in Doncaster near where I live. There was a
company called CDS, probably most famous for Steve Davis Snooker, when they
went bankrupt and the offices were cleared out all the unsold stuff went in
a skip. Some of it was rescued! Most vanished into landfill!

--
Regards
Richard Gore

QUANTUM CRICKET - Cricket equipment from all over the world.
Visit: www.quantumcricket.co.uk or e-mail: in...@quantumcricket.co.uk
"Gareth" <hotma...@dgareth.spm> wrote in message

Gareth

Oct 17, 2004, 5:48:35 PM10/17/04

"Richard Gore" <ric...@rgore.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>I certainly remember it, never joined it but received the catalogue. I also
>believe they sold software too. Just imagine all those hundreds of games
>are still at around somewhere, provided they haven't been dumped in a skip.
>
> Talking of skips, I remember many years ago somebody finding loads of
> software dumped in a skip in Doncaster near where I live. There was a
> company called CDS, probably most famous for Steve Davis Snooker, when
> they went bankrupt and the offices were cleared out all the unsold stuff
> went in a skip. Some of it was rescued! Most vanished into landfill!

No, they didn't sell software although they may possibly have occasionally
sold old titles that weren't generating rental income. They certainly bought
titles - usually for rental credits. The rental library had a great stock of
games on cassette, cart and disk and it was a fantastic way of playing games
that would otherwise have been too expensive to buy (Atari disk game prices
in the UK were certainly silly). They were based in Cheltenham iirc and I'm
certain I do.

I played about £25 for Steve Davis Snooker cassette for the Atari 800. It
was an absolutely shit game and a clear rip off - an early example of
cashing in via a licensed name. The ball physics - if that's the right
word - were non existent. It was more like a game a bad game of marbles.

Gareth.

granmarg2001

Mar 16, 2015, 9:59:37 PM3/16/15
Hi, Margaret here - My husband Dave and I were the owners of MGL (Midland Games Library). We ran the business for many years and had lots of loyal customers. I remember, when renting out the games, we always included a disclaimer explaining that it was illegal to copy the games - do you mean to say you all copied them :-) - you naughty people!! They certainly were the good old days and great that we're still remembered.

Michael Halton (M H Main)

Jan 31, 2023, 9:10:33 AM1/31/23
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 1:59:37 AM UTC, granmarg2001 wrote:
> Hi, Margaret here - My husband Dave and I were the owners of MGL (Midland Games Library). We ran the business for many years and had lots of loyal customers. I remember, when renting out the games, we always included a disclaimer explaining that it was illegal to copy the games - do you mean to say you all copied them :-) - you naughty people!! They certainly were the good old days and great that we're still remembered.

Hi Margaret, I remember you from back in the day! Are you still around? Thanks, Gary

Commodore Clifford

Feb 1, 2023, 4:15:11 AM2/1/23
Might actually be nice to see a roll call?

I've recently added some of the Atari news groups to my BBS and I'm
curious how many people are still around monitoring.

Message has been deleted

Atari8guy

Feb 3, 2023, 2:57:41 PM2/3/23
I'm here - Atari8guy

Commodore Clifford

Feb 3, 2023, 8:15:14 PM2/3/23
On 03 Feb 23 11:57:40 Atari8guy wrote...

AA> On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 2:15:11 a.m. UTC-7, Commodore
AA> Clifford wrote:
AA> > Might actually be nice to see a roll call?
AA> >
AA> > I've recently added some of the Atari news groups to my BBS and I'm
AA> > curious how many people are still around monitoring.
AA>
AA>
AA> I'm here - Atari8guy
AA>
AA> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

Lots of Atari8Guys!!!!! ;)

Atari8guy

Feb 4, 2023, 12:07:31 PM2/4/23
It does seem super dead here....

Commodore Clifford

Feb 4, 2023, 8:15:18 PM2/4/23
Guess we'll just have to do something about that.

So... for now.....