More news about the RM 800xl!

Commodore Clifford

May 2, 2023, 1:15:12 AM5/2/23
Thanks to BF2K+, we got a little more information on the RM 800xl that
seems to give me more confidence that it's not a hoax.

More information on the machine itself from the website....
https://tinyurl.com/yuk8a2hn

This is an english translation of an excerpt of a Zoom meeting of the
Polish "Brain Trust" that produces some of our most loved upgrades.

Apparently there was a zoom meeting in Polish... english translation
below

---

I did a summary for non-polish speakers:

- 6502 FPGA (not asic but true FPGA chip)
- Additional CPU instructions (like 'bra') FROM 6502 series
- More than 1MB RAM (like 4MB+)
- Pokey stereo (covox in the thinking)
- All original Atari signals (like SIO audio) are included
- All peripherals will work (like SIDE3 or AVG CART)
- Generally 100% compatible with original 800XL
- All USB controllers going to work (from bootleg ones to PS5
controllers)
- Can use usb dongle for internet connection (for XL/XE)
- They try to avoid cheap chinese parts

- Can use pendrive as storage data (similar to microsd carts in other
projects)
- No problems with any patents (they checked), almost all are public
(auto released because 25 years)
- Can use both video outs and the same time (svideo and hdmi)

- Gamestate saves going to be in the system (and other cool features like
this)
- Nothing yet about RISC CPU and how we can use it
- Two starting modes: original 800XL or improved with UI (more
information later)
- Some built-in games (like Laura and more)

- Production in EU (not in China)
- Confirmed 2024 release date (not Q1)
- No kickstarter etc (in house funding)

- Project is for some earnings but main idea is "create new cool atari
for the community"
- After initial full release, after a while - all going to be open
sourced
- Price: TBA (but promising not making it very high)
- Possible other machines in future (after RM800XL)

- There going to be a big announcement for the project and it should make
the community excited (TBA)

Looks promising!