colrview

AKH...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jan 30, 1992, 11:09:35 PM1/30/92

Did you people ever see the color view program? 4096 colors!
The Bud Ladies look sooooo good on the 8-bit!
Andrew

Shawn Joel Dube

Jan 31, 1992, 11:04:40 AM1/31/92

> Did you people ever see the color view program? 4096 colors!
> The Bud Ladies look sooooo good on the 8-bit!

Is it PD by some chance? Does it read gifs? Please elaborate.

Shawn Joel Dube "Better men than you and I have tried to disprove
j...@owlnet.rice.edu Ohm's Law. They're ALL gone now." -Massey, Elec 241

AKH...@psuvm.psu.edu

Feb 3, 1992, 1:37:36 AM2/3/92

ColRVIEW is a nifty program that reads a special type of format file..
RGB files. There is a nifty other program the reads GIF and other file
types and strips them for use on the system. All this stuff is on GENIE.
If you want I could upload it to the archive sometime this week.
Andrew

moon!cyber...@well.sf.ca.us

Feb 1, 1992, 8:22:42 PM2/1/92
WHAT!? 4096!? Where! Where!? What res!? I've seen ApacView - 256
sim.colors on a 80x96 mode.. (anyone ever make a page flipper that'll
make it 80x192, instead of alternating modes and lowering res?)

What is this program... and are you sure it is on an 8-bit!?!?

______________________________415_472_5527__V32/V42bis__Cyberdustrial Mayhem__
| / |\
| H E \ Y B E R |/ E N [ moon!cyberden!phb...@well.sf.ca.us ]

The CyberDen accepts liability or responsibility for no one-You're on your own.

Jeff Potter

Feb 3, 1992, 2:25:31 PM2/3/92
Hi Shawn!

Yes, Colrview is PD (I'm the author). Alone, it does not read GIFs.
Rather it displays pictures created by APACVIEW (the latest version)
that were created from GIFs. In other words, you need both programs
in otder to read and display GIFs (not enough memory in a stock 800
to do both in one big program.

--
Jeff Potter
....pot...@ge-dab.ge.com

Jeff Potter

Feb 4, 1992, 5:29:22 PM2/4/92
Hiya Bill!

The latest versions of APACVIEW and COLRVIEW should be on GEnie,
CompuServe, and various BBSes around the country. I don't know
if they're in the archive here. With APACVIEW you can read GIFs, and
create either APAC mode (80 x 96), interlaced APAC mode (80 x 192)
or COLRVIEW mode (80 x 192 with 4096 colors) picture files. You
need COLRVIEW to load this last file format (it's really 3 files,
each with one color component). APACVIEW/COLRVIEW also support
160 x 192 with 64 colors (made of graphics 15 pixels), which looks
great for line drawings, cartoons, anime art, etc.

I believe both programs made it to the AIM 8-bit disk-of-the-month,
so check with your friendly local club for them. Remember they are
shareware everybody :-)

--
Jeff Potter
....pot...@ge-dab.ge.com

moon!cyber...@well.sf.ca.us

Feb 3, 1992, 6:22:09 PM2/3/92
HOW exactly does ColRVIEW work? You (somebody?) said 4096 colors?
That's nearly impossible. The Atari has only 16 colors and 16 shades. I
made a static 256 color display using mode 9 and a multiple-DLI. Looks
pretty, but is useless. APAC files use alternating 16 shade/16 color
modes, so if you step back it will be 256 colors ANYWHERE, but it STILL
looks funny because of the alternating modes. It also halves the
resolution from a sucky >80< x 192 to an even suckier 80 x >96<! That
beats Apple II's *ss's off, but still can look PRETTY whimpy compared to
what it is for. I made a really simple TurboBASIC program that will copy
every other line (shade) to the next (erasing color) so you can print
them as 16 shade pictures.
Bill

Eric Hobbs

Feb 5, 1992, 7:50:34 PM2/5/92

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what good is a program that displays
4096 colors when GIF's are only 256 colors at the most?

BTW, even though it is a cool program, I have yet to see an APAC color
GIF that came out looking the way it should. Playing with the TV's
brightness and color doesn't seem to help.

------------
Eric A. Hobbs
eho...@JUPITER.nmt.edu

moon!cyber...@well.sf.ca.us

Feb 4, 1992, 7:17:13 PM2/4/92
Cool! I was hoping there was or would soon be a multiple screen GIF
viewer to enhance color quality. I'm wondering, are their any paint
programs out their that support any of these formats? Also, Interlaced
APAC? I have APACView 1.2 I think, and ILBMRead and whatever else can
out in the APACVIEW.ARC, BUT!!!! only the RGB file would BARELY make it
out of the arc, and the instructions, and I think that was about it.?

BTW: What's the diff. between ShareWare and PD? Can a place selling PD
sell ShareWare for the same price, or at all? (the PD I've seen is
between $2-4 depending on where..)
Thanks! Bill

Jeff Potter

Feb 7, 1992, 5:55:22 PM2/7/92
Hello again, Bill.

Yes, APAC works based on the alternating lines of graphics 11 (16 colors)
and graphics 9 (16 intensities). This looks pretty good on a lot of
monitors, and somewhat drab on others. I did implement a page-flipping
version of this (called interlaced APAC, .ILC) that restores the resolution
to 80 x 192 in my latest APACVIEW program. The output file is twice as
big, as you might have guessed. If you want to print GIFs as 16-shade
pictures, APACVIEW can be made to produce pure graphics 9 images.

COLRVIEW produces 4096 colors by yet another trick. I produce three
graphics 9 images, one each for red, green, and blue, from the GIF source.
At first I tried just cycling these using page-flipping methods. The
result was *really bad flickering*, so I devised another method. I would
show three screens that look like the following diagram:

****Red line 0*** **Green line 0*** ***Blue line 0***
**Green line 1*** ***Blue line 1*** ****Red line 1***
***Blue line 2*** ****Red line 2*** **Green line 2***
****Red line 3*** **Green line 3*** ***Blue line 3***
**Green line 4*** ***Blue line 4*** ****Red line 4***
***Blue line 5*** ****Red line 5*** **Green line 5***
****Red line 6*** **Green line 6*** ***Blue line 6***
**Green line 7*** ***Blue line 7*** ****Red line 7***
***Blue line 8*** ****Red line 8*** **Green line 8***
: : :
**Green line 191* ***Blue line 191* ****Red line 191*

...where the three screens shown above left to right are "flipped" on
sequentially in time over 3/60ths of a second. If you can follow my
explanation, you'll understand it requires a DLI per line, plus a VBI
routine that selects one of three starting points/DLIs. So now the
flicker present in the ordinary three-screen method is reduced to a
"scrolling" vertical effect, which is most prominent in solid red, green,
or blue areas. Oh yes, the 4096 colors comes from using three graphics
9 screens, 16 colors each, or 16 x 16 x 16 = 4096. This relies on the
fact that your brain has the "persistence of vision" phenomenon. Since the
three files are 80 x 192, the full resolution is 80 x 192. This looks
great on digitized photographs.

I have also implemented this with graphics 15, for 160 x 192 resolution
with 4 x 4 x 4 = 64 colors. This looks great on certain pictures, namely
comic art.

--
Jeff Potter
....pot...@sundae6.dab.ge.com

Stephen Wayne Miller

Feb 8, 1992, 10:26:42 PM2/8/92

Wanna know why? It's because the color generation on Ataris is a little
screwy, which makes it hard to do good color replication. The colors besides
white don't go all the way down to black, and they become whiter as they get
brighter. (This sounds like a bleach ad!) So you've either gotta live with
screwy colors or use fewer of them.
__
(_
__)teve
(New to this newsgroup, thank you)

Jake Donham

Feb 10, 1992, 8:43:16 AM2/10/92
Could you give some technical details on how Colrview works? I messed
around with a page-flipping thing to do 256 colors, but it never
looked any good at all. How do you do it?

Jake

Jeff Potter

Feb 10, 1992, 1:08:09 PM2/10/92
In article <1992Feb6.0...@nmt.edu>, eho...@nmt.edu (Eric Hobbs) writes:

|> Correct me if I'm wrong, but what good is a program that displays
|> 4096 colors when GIF's are only 256 colors at the most?
|>
|> BTW, even though it is a cool program, I have yet to see an APAC color
|> GIF that came out looking the way it should. Playing with the TV's
|> brightness and color doesn't seem to help.

Hi Eric!

I created COLRVIEW due to a couple problems with APAC mode: it doesn't
work on some monitors, and it can't provide the range of colors needed
to display some GIFs. APAC works best with ordinary television sets, and
certain monitors (Magnavox Color 40, Commodore 1702, and some others).
But some monitors produce only a pale red/blue image when in APAC mode
(this might be why you were unimpressed with it). When I discovered
COLRVIEW, I noticed that it would work on those other types of monitors
that APAC does not.

As for the "why 4096 colors?", even the best APAC versions of GIFs fails
to produce certain colors. My monitor never could produce a decent yellow,
or blonde hair, without some green in it. And the 256 colors that APAC
produces are not always good matches for the 256 colors present in the
GIF file. In addition, when I down-sample the (for example) 640 x 400
image to fit into 80 x 96 for APAC, I must average several pixels together
(as many as 32) to produce a composite color. This color ends up being
different than the original 256 in the GIF color table. So, for low
resolution viewing, the more colors, the better.

Craig Rothman

Feb 11, 1992, 12:08:54 AM2/11/92
pot...@sundae6.DAB.GE.COM (Jeff Potter) writes:

> Hello again, Bill.
>
> Yes, APAC works based on the alternating lines of graphics 11 (16 colors)
> and graphics 9 (16 intensities). This looks pretty good on a lot of
> monitors, and somewhat drab on others. I did implement a page-flipping
> version of this (called interlaced APAC, .ILC) that restores the resolution
> to 80 x 192 in my latest APACVIEW program. The output file is twice as
> big, as you might have guessed. If you want to print GIFs as 16-shade
> pictures, APACVIEW can be made to produce pure graphics 9 images.

CAn someone upload this to delphi??
I think the version there is kinda old.

Stephen Wayne Miller

Feb 11, 1992, 12:30:19 AM2/11/92

asga...@unixland.natick.ma.us (Craig Rothman) writes:

>pot...@sundae6.DAB.GE.COM (Jeff Potter) writes:
>> Yes, APAC works based on the alternating lines of graphics 11 (16 colors)
>> and graphics 9 (16 intensities).

>CAn someone upload this to delphi??

>I think the version there is kinda old.

It's there, I made sure of it myself. APACVEW 2.3 and COLRVIEW 2.5 are
the latest I heard of (including the above (deleted) description).
Have at it!
__
(_
__)teve

moon!cyber...@well.sf.ca.us

Feb 10, 1992, 4:21:43 PM2/10/92
Where can I get a copy of these 2 progs.? Esp. the interlaced one!? I
think I got APACView and APACView 1.2 on AtariBase, but I saw no others.
The original ARC of APACView was screwed to hell, and I think my RGB
table is a bit messy, as well.. Are these files on the archive, and if
not, could you please post them!? Thanks! Bill

BTW: What does the "uu" in uudecode and encode mean!!??

Craig Rothman

Feb 18, 1992, 11:13:09 PM2/18/92

you on delphi? Write ASGARDIAN.. That's me!
Maybe we can swap stuff.
Delphis 8 bit area is kinda lean.
No new stuff lately.. especially in the way of PD bbs programs.
Do you happen to have Oasis Test drive?

Anyways, I thought there was a newer version of apac?.. maybe I read
something wrong or got the version number mixed up with colorview.