Ultima V remake. Work in Progress

Commodore Clifford

Feb 4, 2023, 8:15:18 PM2/4/23
On AtariAge, a guy named Atlan Roland started working on an attempt to
remake an engine for Ultima V on the 8-bit using the assets from the PC
version of U5.

He has a runable demo posted in a thread over on AtariAge.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/345354-ultima-v-wip/

It's also noteworthy that another user Zolaeria did some amazing music
for U5 and the two of them have worked together to marry the two
projects. Once they get the storyline part of the game implemented, it
should be even better.

He also posts his source code.

ZeroPage Homebrew did a video.... https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

I did a little walk around video too... https://vimeo.com/783754355

The author also has another thread on AA in the programming section.
https://forums.atariage.com/topic/319655-ultima-v-world-explorer-in-antic-
mode-e/

There... now we have something to talk about.

Darklord

Feb 5, 2023, 1:15:19 AM2/5/23
Well, I think it looks awesome. I posted the info about it on my BBS just
as soon as I saw it. Very cool project, I hope they stick with it until
its completely done. The Atari 8bit crowd deserves an Ultima V - heck,
everyone does! :)

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Commodore Clifford

Feb 5, 2023, 12:15:11 PM2/5/23
On 04 Feb 23 20:34:24 Darklord wrote...

DD> Well, I think it looks awesome. I posted the info about it on my BBS
DD> just as soon as I saw it. Very cool project, I hope they stick with
DD> it until its completely done. The Atari 8bit crowd deserves an Ultima
DD> V - heck, everyone does! :)

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

The part I like most... the included source code. I'm sure there is
likely an editor out there for the assets, so taking what he's done and
making your own game should be easy.

Commodore Clifford

Feb 6, 2023, 12:15:06 PM2/6/23
On 04 Feb 23 20:34:24 Darklord wrote...

DD> Well, I think it looks awesome. I posted the info about it on my BBS
DD> just as soon as I saw it. Very cool project, I hope they stick with
DD> it until its completely done. The Atari 8bit crowd deserves an Ultima
DD> V - heck, everyone does! :)

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

Still trying to track something down though.....

Years ago, a Commodore SysOp I had been talking to in Cincinnatti had
just bought his first lot of Atari stuff. Since he had been helping me
with advice on my C=128 that I got for free but needed some TLC, I was
helping him with some "using the 8-bit in the modern age".

He was showing me pictures from all the stuff, and he had some Ultima V
disks with what appeared to be genuine Origin labels on them!

They even said "Atari" so it wasn't like some C= or Apple disks got stuck
in there.

We never really got a chance to explore it further (I was going to go
down there to visit, but that didn't end up happening with work) and then
we kinda lost contact when the world went nuts. I tried calling his BBS
but it seems to be down.

Hope the guy is ok... hope also that we can solve the mystery of the U5
disks.

Darklord

Feb 7, 2023, 1:15:08 AM2/7/23
On 05 Feb 23 08:10:58 Commodore Clifford wrote...

CC> To which Commodore Clifford replies...
CC>
CC> The part I like most... the included source code. I'm sure there is
CC> likely an editor out there for the assets, so taking what he's done
CC> and making your own game should be easy.

To which Darklord replies...

Yeah, it's too bad source code isn't included more often. Danged if my
(SysOp'ing) life wouldn't be much simpler if I had the source code to BBS
Express! ST.

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Darklord

Feb 7, 2023, 1:15:08 AM2/7/23
I'm assuming you mean Ultima V disks for the Atari 8bit line? That would
seem odd but wasn't there a planned release that never got off the ground
for the Atari 8bits? Seems like I read that somewhere...

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Commodore Clifford

Feb 7, 2023, 8:15:09 AM2/7/23
On 06 Feb 23 23:02:08 Darklord wrote...

DD> I'm assuming you mean Ultima V disks for the Atari 8bit line? That
DD> would seem odd but wasn't there a planned release that never got off
DD> the ground for the Atari 8bits? Seems like I read that somewhere...

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

As I said, the labels looked legit... but they could have been "created".
I never got a chance to get a good look at them unfortunately.

On AtariMania, it does look like there was a WIP but whether that was
official or another home brew I'm not certain. I couldn't get it to run
well on the real hardware (the one from AtariMania... you know I already
did get the new one going).

I'm thinking we'll take another look at it during one of our BBS
community chats.

Atari8guy

Feb 10, 2023, 3:05:50 PM2/10/23
I hope either the current attempt or someone else finishes it. I only ever finished Exodus (Ultima III), my copy of IV got bunged up when I was a kid and I haven't had that kind of time since. I keep meaning to play it and then move over to the ST for V and VI - oh if only I had the time.

Darklord

Feb 11, 2023, 4:15:16 AM2/11/23
"I'm thinking we'll take another look at it during one of our BBS
community chats."

Sounds like a plan. :)

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Darklord

Feb 11, 2023, 4:15:16 AM2/11/23
On 10 Feb 23 12:05:49 Atari8guy wrote...

AA> > I'm thinking we'll take another look at it during one of our BBS
AA> > community chats.
AA> I hope either the current attempt or someone else finishes it. I
AA> only ever finished Exodus (Ultima III), my copy of IV got bunged up
AA> when I was a kid and I haven't had that kind of time since. I keep
AA> meaning to play it and then move over to the ST for V and VI - oh if
AA> only I had the time.

To which Darklord replies...

I really hope they finish it as well. The people doing it seem like they
have a lot of enthusiasm for the project (so far), so I'll keep my
fingers crossed.

Personally, I'd do the early Ultima's on the 8bit Atari's then go to the
ST for IV, V, and VI (although VI is a bit of a disappointment because
they didn't adjust the graphics for the ST).

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Commodore Clifford

Feb 11, 2023, 4:15:19 PM2/11/23
On 10 Feb 23 12:05:49 Atari8guy wrote...

AA> I hope either the current attempt or someone else finishes it. I
AA> only ever finished Exodus (Ultima III), my copy of IV got bunged up
AA> when I was a kid and I haven't had that kind of time since. I keep
AA> meaning to play it and then move over to the ST for V and VI - oh if
AA> only I had the time.
AA>
AA> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

A few years back, I started on a quest (Tillek's Ultimate Quest) to play
through all the Ultimas, at least likely till U6, on the real retro
hardware. I did win U1 and U2 already on the Atari 8-bit, and then
playin U3 from the original disks I had as a kid (U3 was my first Ultima
game, then I had U4 and U2). Played U2 from the original BITD disks too.

I never owned a complete U1, but I did get a bunch of disks from an ebay
purchase that had an original U1 disk (disk only) so that's what I used
for U1.

For U4, I might use my BITD disks, but I'm also thinking about using the
AtariMax cart version. I'm kinda torn. I had the cart for U3 but didn't
use it.

U5 will be the challenge... ST or Apple? Gotta play one on the Apple at
some point. Also want to play something on the ST. Thinking about U4 on
the Apple too.... never owned it, but that was my first Ultima experience
ever... U4 on a friend's Apple ][e.

For U6, I'm thinking the C128 since it has a darker background. I hate
the color scheme for the ST version.

Of course, there still is the Wizard's Crown series, Bard's Tale...

A little AutoDuel, just for some variety.........

Man... I'm going to need to finnd a job with more PTO.

Atari8guy

Feb 12, 2023, 10:23:12 AM2/12/23
Time is always the issue!!! I haven't even had time to setup my gear lately much less play a game. I do have 3 and 4 on Atarimax carts, plus I owned them both as originals - just gotta make the time. I also would like to play Wizardry at some point, perhaps on an Apple II emulator...

Commodore Clifford

Feb 12, 2023, 4:15:12 PM2/12/23
On 12 Feb 23 07:23:09 Atari8guy wrote...

AA> Time is always the issue!!! I haven't even had time to setup my gear
AA> lately much less play a game. I do have 3 and 4 on Atarimax carts,
AA> plus I owned them both as originals - just gotta make the time. I
AA> also would like to play Wizardry at some point, perhaps on an Apple
AA> II emulator...
AA>
AA> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

Yeah, Wizardry is on an extended list. Along with some new ones like Nox
Archaist.

Of course, I have the Apple IIe and //c here, so I won't have to worry
about emulators.

Oh... Wrath of Denethenor

Almost bought an Apple IIgs today but reminded myself I need to replace
the car first.

Darklord

Feb 13, 2023, 4:15:07 PM2/13/23
On 11 Feb 23 14:02:06 Commodore Clifford wrote...

CC> To which Commodore Clifford replies...
CC>
CC>
CC> For U6, I'm thinking the C128 since it has a darker background. I
CC> hate the color scheme for the ST version.
CC>
CC> Of course, there still is the Wizard's Crown series, Bard's Tale...
CC>
CC> A little AutoDuel, just for some variety.........
CC>
CC> Man... I'm going to need to finnd a job with more PTO.

To which Darklord replies...

Wizard's Crown and The Bard's Tale are great on the Atari ST. I have
severe doubts about playing Ultima VI on the C128. First, it doesn't
seem to take advantage, playing the same as on a C64, according to the
following website:

https://ultima.fandom.com/wiki/C64-Port_of_Ultima_VI

Also, it looks like it's basically very *crippled* compared to other
versions... :(

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Commodore Clifford

Feb 13, 2023, 8:15:07 PM2/13/23
On 13 Feb 23 13:26:02 Darklord wrote...

DD> To which Darklord replies...
DD>
DD> Wizard's Crown and The Bard's Tale are great on the Atari ST. I have
DD> severe doubts about playing Ultima VI on the C128. First, it doesn't
DD> seem to take advantage, playing the same as on a C64, according to
DD> the following website:
DD>
DD> https://ultima.fandom.com/wiki/C64-Port_of_Ultima_VI
DD>
DD> Also, it looks like it's basically very *crippled* compared to other
DD> versions... :(

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

I'll have to look again for what I was looking at... I thought there was
a C128 version that did take advantage.

Of course, I still haven't won III... And I plan to try Autoduel before I
go to IV, so I have time. ;)

phigan

Feb 14, 2023, 4:24:21 PM2/14/23
On 2023-02-13, Commodore Clifford <Commodore...@f171.n3.z21.fsxnet> wrote:

> Of course, I still haven't won III... And I plan to try Autoduel before I
> go to IV, so I have time. ;)

Anyone mention the Ultima IV Remastered edition that someone made not
too long ago? I think it was on Github.. and was for IIgs and Commodore,
if I'm not mistaken.

Darklord

Feb 15, 2023, 4:15:18 PM2/15/23
On 13 Feb 23 17:39:16 Commodore Clifford wrote...

CC> To which Commodore Clifford replies...
CC>
CC> I'll have to look again for what I was looking at... I thought there
CC> was a C128 version that did take advantage.
CC>
CC> Of course, I still haven't won III... And I plan to try Autoduel
CC> before I go to IV, so I have time. ;)

To which Darklord replies...

Hmm, maybe there is but I didn't see one from a quick Google search. Good
luck!

What? You've not beat Ultima III yet? Dude, get on that pronto. It's a
high priority "must do!" moment we're talking about here. I can still
remember the epic moment the first time I beat it! I've still got the
screenshot from when I did. :)

/\
Dark><Lord
\/

Commodore Clifford

Feb 17, 2023, 4:15:15 PM2/17/23
On 14 Feb 23 21:24:19 phigan wrote...

PP> On 2023-02-13, Commodore Clifford
PP> <Commodore...@f171.n3.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
PP> >
PP> > Of course, I still haven't won III... And I plan to try Autoduel
PP> > before I go to IV, so I have time. ;)
PP>
PP> Anyone mention the Ultima IV Remastered edition that someone made not
PP> too long ago? I think it was on Github.. and was for IIgs and
PP> Commodore, if I'm not mistaken.
PP>
PP> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)

To which Commodore Clifford replies...

Not on the 8bit news group.... ;)

Atari8guy

Feb 17, 2023, 8:37:08 PM2/17/23
To be fair they all should be re-mastered...