The ATARI 800 is crap!

Jacques De Molay

Mar 4, 2009, 8:50:02 PM3/4/09
The ATARI 800 is a piece of crap with only 4 colors,
4 monochrome sprites and a lousy soundchip.

The C64 is much better!

Discuss!

Bill Kendrick

Mar 4, 2009, 10:14:08 PM3/4/09
Jacques De Molay <knight_templa...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> The C64 is much better!
> Discuss!

Get back to me when the C=64 can do this ;^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8UevxuQN4

(Well, it might, but I just haven't seen anything quite like
this outside Amiga or Super Nintendo!)

I also like this one :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZkiR7MV3s&feature=related

It's a few years old now.

--
-bill!
Download it today! http://www.tuxpaint.org/

Mark Bedingfield

Mar 4, 2009, 10:26:14 PM3/4/09
Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Jacques De Molay <knight_templa...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> The C64 is much better!
>> Discuss!
>
> Get back to me when the C=64 can do this ;^)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8UevxuQN4
>
> (Well, it might, but I just haven't seen anything quite like
> this outside Amiga or Super Nintendo!)
>

> I also like this one :)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZkiR7MV3s&feature=related
>
> It's a few years old now.

Thanks Bill. I really enjoyed those.

Pretty impressive for 4 colours.

Mark

Bill Kendrick

Mar 4, 2009, 10:37:59 PM3/4/09
Mark Bedingfield <atar...@nomorespamplease.optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Pretty impressive for 4 colours.

Heh yeah, well anyway, it's 9 paletted colors per scanline, assuming
you don't tweak the palette mid-scanline. (Tricky, but certainly
possible... see, for example, demos that throw 8 player/missiles
across the screen.) :)

Edward S. Baiz Jr.

Mar 7, 2009, 1:36:52 AM3/7/09

Sounds like you are interested in just to use the C64 as a game machine. I
bought a C64 and quickly sold it. I like the 800 MUCH better. If you really
want to get to it, take each computer a part and look at them. The 800 looks
like it should, a computer whereas the C64 look like a hack. Most computer
experts agree. I just wish I had saved all those quotes...

--
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
(Gamer)

Falcon 030 16meg of Ram

Kalevi Kolttonen

Feb 18, 2024, 10:42:38 AMFeb 18
Have you ever heard of Dropzone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropzone

Archer Maclean says:

The [Commodore] 64 Dropzone is about 46k [kilobytes]
long and consists of 15,000 lines of sparsely commented code
with around 350 subroutines and around 3000 labels. Those
who can reach Megastar status on the 64 should have had
enough practice to attempt an Atari supervised Dropzone
mission. The Atari, being the Porsche of home computers, is
capable of running Dropzone 2.5 times faster than the 64
and can handle any amount of blobs on screen, even when
you release a Strata Bomb. It is visually, sonically etc.,
identical and about 12K shorter. However, the 64 is
still a respectable BMW316.

I love both machines, Atari 800 is so well made...

br,
KK